It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Well we are getting recognition!!!!!!!

I can't hold my sarcasm any longer.....giggle! I know we have all wanted a diagnosis to know what all this pain and aggravation is called and of course with a diagnosis comes hopefully a better treatment. Well be careful what you wish for. While updating our life insurance and taking out more at our advancing years....giggle! One of my health records had the word 'Fibromyalgia' on it. That changed the bracket I was in and now my insurance will be more expensive. Fibromyalgia kicked me out of the preferred or premium or whatever bracket and moved me to the "now we can stick it to you" bracket.

I have always appreciated that my rheumy never put lupus on my health records even though he probably could have if he wasn't a stickler for details. He wrote down just enough to get the health insurance co. to pay for the tests and office visits. He stopped his diagnosis at connective tissue disease. Somewhere along the line some doc wrote fibromyalgia and it came back to bite me in the arse. So don't be so eager to get labeled, just be sure you get treated for the symptoms.

Glojer

Old 02-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Re: Well we are getting recognition!!!!!!!

This is very good important information Glojer.

Life Insurance policies have now acknowledged Fibromyalgia to higher premiums if one prefers to increase their policy. I'll pass on this, i sure won't be increasing Life insurance. This is very good to be passing on to many here for future policies and such.

I wonder what all the Life Insurance companies have heard about Fibro to be labeled a high risk, maybe they can share their info. to the ones that have Fibromyalgia. I doubt that will happen.

Good point to pass along

Live Life Well
BeHappy2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Thanks for the information.

I recently got a new prescription for Savella and it says right on the Rx label...for Fibromyalgia.

Go figure!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

So... Glojer, it's been awhile! Do you mind my asking... how much more are the premiums now that your pain and suffering has actually been validated as something more than your overly active imagination?? Feeling like the feds couldn't possibly squeeze another tax penny out of us, I've kinda been in the "nay" bracket on one health care reform bill after another. And then I started thinking... preexisting condition... fibromyalgia...

Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

baserockermom, no I don't mind you asking. Let's see if I can figure this out. I went from a preferred rate to a standard rate because of the "fibromyalgia' I have been dealing with for the past few years." This showed up in one of my medical records. Another factor to consider is I am 6yrs. older than the last time we upgraded, but I was also diagnosed 7yrs. ago. OOPS! I had fibro then too!!! So to compare apples to apples if I stayed in the same preferred rate it would increase about 5 dollars a month or 60 dollars a year. Ok with the new standard rating comparing apples to apples it will increase to about 100 dollars a month. No that isn't a typo, age and fibro (which one holds the most weight?) increases a premium from 300 dollars a year to 1200 dollars a year. I take less medication now than I did then (except for allergy meds which have been added) and I am no longer working which gives me more time to exercise and enjoy life. I am 25 pounds lighter than I was then and my necessary tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, stress test etc. all came out perfect. According to our agent, the fibromyalgia is what changed everything. Now this is all on paper right now, we are just exploring our options for the future. Believe me I was shocked with the change.

Now, get ready for this.....are you sitting down.....of course you are, you are on the computer.....duh! My husband who had cancer and is 5yrs. cancer free and a year older than I am is having his premium LOWERED, because he stopped smoking. Not sure how much, but our agent said it is considerable savings.

Go figure, fibromyalgia is still misunderstood. It is just a way the insurance companies can stick it to you, they don't understand it and some docs and other people think it is all in our heads or doesn't exist. But Lord love them......the ins. companies can find a way to use it whether they believe in it or not.

Glojer

Last edited by Glojer; 03-01-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

OH MY WORD, you have got to be kidding! $100 a month. And you're a worse risk than a cancer survivor who quit smoking (BTW, yeah he's a cancer survivor!!!) when you're an fm patient who got to moving and quit eating (I read FM people usually gain 60 lbs over the course of the mess). Congratulations on the 25 lb weight loss!! I was there, too, and down to little drugs, too, until I coveted my neighbor's crunch machine on Christmas Eve day. I decided to try a new crunch machine at the gym and I ended up in the emergency room with an incisional hernia that was so awful I had to have major surgery to fix it. Still recovering. Still am not allowed to exercise, going on now near 2 1/2 months and I had been working out/walking for 6 months. That bites... $100 a month after all the improvement!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

My opinion, they find any little thing they can to stick it to you. I guess some people would just roll over and take it. I didn't fall off the truck yesterday, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Baserockermom, you hang in there. You will be back on top again soon, just let yourself heal a little longer.

Glojer

Old 03-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Thanks Glojer. I hope I will. I can't believe that I wasn't told when I had the two surgeries through the abdomen over a year ago that I could end up with a hernia there very easily. I was supposed to go in for a two-week recovery laprascopy; I ended up in full open surgery and the surgeon never even told my husband or me that he had to switch from minor to major surgery. I found that out after he removed the bandages and I called back later to ask why he was now saying I had eight weeks of recovery instead of two. I also don't get why there aren't signs on any of gut buster machines warning you that if you've had cuts through the abdomen, you can end up with a funky fist coming out of your belly! Appreciate the encouragement. It's been hard to accept, some days just despairingly hard. My hub has been absolutely great through it, though, so I am certainly fortunate that way.

Closed Thread