It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User
Citrus allergy?

I am posting this in the fibro thread and not an allergy thread because I think having fibro makes one more prone to allergies, and the effects might last longer. So I am hoping someone in the fibro group can help!

Yesterday I ate an orange. It wasn't long before my tongue started itching. Then my throat started feeling weird. I took a Benadryl strip and tried to relax. I've never had problems with orange juice. But I have had itchy tongue from fresh pineapple and I think watermelon.

Now, not quite 24 hours later, my throat still feels irritated. A pressure almost (Similar to the GERD-related pressure, such as after ate a tortilla chip the wrong way and it was like this for a few weeks).

I know I should get tested for allergies, but until then
-anyone else have citrus allergies?
-anyone else get this throat feeling after an allergy attack and it takes longer to recover?
-does this mean I can't take Vitamin C?

Thank you!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Citrus allergy?

you may be able to take vit c. i drink milk when i want to indulge. i get blisters in my mouth and throat if i don't. seems to take the acidity out when i have milk with it. tastes like ka ka together, but sometimes i just see a perfect orange.
i take 4000 mg of vit c daily with no problems.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Thanks Blue.

It seemed like the orange was making my throat tight- does it do that with you? Is that just the acid bothering the throat?

Looks like I'm going to have to do an elimination diet. Try and figure out what it is that is bothering me, whether it's acid irritation or an allergic reaction.

I'm also looking to see if it's a citric acid thing.

Thank you!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It's called OAS - Oral Allergy Syndrome. Allergy treatments generally do not work because it's not a true allergy. And generally, the reactions are not present when the fruit is cooked - only when eaten raw.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It's called OAS - Oral Allergy Syndrome. Allergy treatments generally do not work because it's not a true allergy. And generally, the reactions are not present when the fruit is cooked - only when eaten raw.
I had the same problem with peaches. I can eat them cooked, but raw does the same thing to my throat - itchy and feels weird. Although, I get that strange tingling, itchy weird feelings in my mouth alot - roof of mouth too - You may be suffering from the acidity - pineapple and oranges/lemons can make your tongue feel raw and tingly. I do think FM people have way more "allergies" or maybe a better word is "sensitivities" to all kinds of food, stimuli, drugs... MaryAnn

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Thank you. I looked up OAS. It said the symptom lasts a few seconds to a minute in most people, but it can be more of an allergy for some people. My throat was irritated for the rest of the day!

I wonder if the cooked factor could be why I've never had a problem with orange juice which is pasteurized. Not sure if it's the same thing. Although, it's possible if I had a glass of orange juice now it might bother me.

Thank you for your help.

Closed Thread