It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Keep a Record of When You Handle Pain Well

Hand slammed in car door by cousin... don't yell out... patiently wait on husband to notice and help so the cousin wouldn't feel bad.

Ventral incisional hernia where the intestines were being choked off... figured I must of pulled something, tried other machines to work it out, tried the treadmill, tried the elliptical, tried the bike, calmly and pleasantly told the hub I was feeling a bit off and I was going next door to see if a drink would help. Emergency room doc immediately taking me back and treating me and later telling my hub the extreme pain that hernia was causing.

Folks... I am guessing there are plenty of stories like the ones above that my husband reminds me of when I feel like a loser. Keep a record of them and take that record with you to doc appts. You need concrete examples to prove the point that you are not typically a whiner and to help doctors take you seriously and to give yourself a little pick-me-up as well.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User
Re: Keep a Record of When You Handle Pain Well

Oh, so you would mean like falling in a parking garage at Yankee Stadium and riding all the way back to New Jersey (2 hrs.). Xrays showing broken knee cap. Nurse putting brace on leg with straps going directly over knee cap! Getting into ER at about 11pm and waiting until you leave at 3am to get anything for pain ( 1 pill ) or even an offer of ice! Is that the kind of pain your talking about...lol
Cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Re: Keep a Record of When You Handle Pain Well

Yet catkaru, exactly like that. I hurt just thinking about your knee cap, especially with that brace on it and no pain meds -- did your team at least win that day after all you went through to be there??? Yeah, I mean exactly like that day.

Some days I just loathe myself for being set back and out of service. It just helps to remember whether I have gone through torturous pain today. Is it so much that I am a wimp or that not everybody daily fights their way back from pain so severe it could be on the same level as "torture" with all the trauma implied.

Sometimes I need to be ready to tell myself so I'll try again and sometimes I just need to be ready before doctor visits. I need to remember evidences that I am not just whining so I am ready to confidently ask for help. What other examples?

Closed Thread