It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

MyEye! HB User
Can fibromyalgia be pain in one arm?

So i have this nerve pain in my left arm, on a scale of 1 -10 the pain is quite often a 14. Its a searing, burning, stabbing pain that moves all over my arm, most often in the upper arm - sometimes in the shoulder, sometimes the armpit and left breast, and sometimes up to the neck. With it i get tingling and weird cold/hot sensations in my face and left ear, and down to my left fingers. My right side seems to lose muscle control at the same time - no pain but I have trouble walking, and cant write or hold things. I've had *all* the tests - the docs cant find anything wrong, they've ruled out MS. I take ms-contin, percocet, zonegran and I've just started amitriptyline. I am desperate for relief, and some kind of diagnosis so I know what I'm dealing with. As of right now i feel like they're just throwing pills at me hoping something might work, and in the meantime I am literally howling in pain daily. I miss so much work because of this (thank god for FMLA) and I'm depressed because my quality of life has just gone straight downhill - I'm either completely f'ed up on pain meds, falling asleep or writhing in pain. I'm praying the amitrip. works as I've been told it should, but I still want answers - what is wrong with me??? Thanks for any input and info about the different types of fibro.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: Can fibromyalgia be pain in one arm?

Fibromyalgia is in all 4 quadrants of the body and has trigger points. It sounds like you have some nerve pain radiating in your arm which could be from your spine or it could be myofascial pain...google that and read up on it. Have you tried neurontin or lyrica? They work on nerve pain.

I hope you have a good doctor who can help you get to the bottom of it. My best to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User

It could be a disc issue; have you had an MRI on your neck or thoracic spine?

Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
(female)

Misha5332 HB User

I went for 5 mos blaming my left shoulder and arm pain on my fibro..... I finally ended up at the orthopedist who said no way and did an MRI.... He found bone spurs and lots of inflamation.... I should have realized it wasn't fibro because it didn't attack both sides of my body the way all my other aches and pains go.....For me, my fibro does both sides of my body at the same time......At least that's the way it has been for several years..... who knows what else may happen....

Old 04-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
(female)

MyEye! HB User

2+ years after this pain started - I have been diagnosed!! I have pectoralis minor syndrome... treatment is stretching. I also had carpal tunnel syndrome which I had surgery for back in October 2010. So basically my median nerve in my left arm was getting it from both ends and that is what was causing the intense pain. Its better now but not totally resolved. Certainly not as bad as it was when I wrote the original post but I do get flare ups that are pretty excruciating. Hopefully the stretching program works...

The following user gives a hug of support to MyEye!:
monalisa24 (04-12-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
(female)

Lilly238 HB User

Hi Myeye,

I have horrible pain in my arms and hands. Funny you mentioned the hot and cold sensations... My ears get very hot along with my face which can also be cold. It's hard to explain but I think you know what I talking about. Do you take any anxiety medication? I take Xanax for my panic attacks but it seems to help me when I have the battle of hot vs. cold. I also get the same feelings and pain in my legs, from the knees down to my feet. I get the stabbing pains, numbness, tingling, etc. This happens to me at night especially early morning. When I have it in one arm and hand the other feels the same or I have no feeling whats so ever! I wear braces at night to make sure I don't bend my wrists but no matter what I do I can't shake this off. I find myself rubbing my arms and hands for hours to get feeling back. I've used ointments and everything. I'm in the process of treatment right now for my Fibro and stuff. My regular Doc has me on Tramadol which I find very helpful for restless legs and arms but, not good enough to get rid of all the pain. I hope during your travels you find what works best for you. Keep me posted!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
(female)

MyEye! HB User

I'll take a valium now and then -sometimes the pain in my arm gets so bad I can't be still, and I just kinda cry and freak out. Valium, or even a half of one, helps a lot and knocks me out. Sounds like you've got it bad -- I know how horrible it can be. You know what helped me a lot? Watching an episode of House. I have to concentrate on what's going on, and I love that show so it really helped occupy my mind and stop me from focusing on the pain. I am a huge advocate of thinking about ANYTHING else. I would curl up in bed and watch a DVD episode. By the time it's over - about 48 minutes - my pain has subsided and I can barely keep my eyes open.
I hope you get some relief. I'm hoping the same for me. X

Last edited by MyEye!; 04-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

I agree with what Pammyann is saying..i also have this and what has helped me greatly is self massage or someone else doing it...i can massage my arms, shoulders legs myself. fibro is a strange illness just when we think were getting how it effects us Wham something new!

Hugs Monalisa

Closed Thread