It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

Madeofglass HB User
Weight gain for no reason

Does anyone know WHAT exactly causes weight gain in fibromyalgia? I used to exercise like 4-5 times a week before the diagnosis.. and now I engage in it like 2-3 times a week. I walk daily though. What's strange about it, is that I've gained 20 pounds after reducing the amount of exercise. Still, it makes no sense, cause my metabolism should be quite rapid due to my age (i'm in my 20s).

I don't use any meds, except for codeine which I use about twice a week..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Re: Weight gain for no reason

Madeofglass, could any of your meds be partly to blame? Some chronic fatigue materials fault a deficiency in malic acid or malate because the ATP somethinganother gets out of wack without malate, such as in magnesium malate. I know very little of what I'm talking about, but I do know I have read studies on FM saying the usual weight gain is 60 lbs from time of diagnoisiis til death, I thought largely due to the drugs. ATP is supposedly involved in metabolism and energy. Maybe research atp and malic acid and see if there is any helpful info out there?

Last edited by baserockermom; 03-06-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

Now that I think of it.. I HAVE been using birth control pills for the last 3 years due to skin problems... I also developed fibromyalgia symptoms soon after... interesting.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Many fibro sufferers also have thyroid problems. I gained that 60lbs myself when all this started with me. It took a while, but I put all 60 on. One thing I am not is a quitter......giggle. I do have thyroid issues, hypo thyroid. I think though when you slow down your activity you don't realize you are eating the same amount and also that with fibro and the flares you may be craving carbs or something that contributes to the weight gain. Just a few suggestions.

Glojer

Closed Thread