It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Race For The Cure

I participated in TRFTC yesterday along with 10,000 other people. I was overwhelmed by the amount of people showing support for such an important cause. Does anyone know if there is a similar type of event for FMS/CFS? I have never heard of one. It would be wonderful if we could get that same kind of support and recognition.
By the way, I did make it the full 3 miles. Yay for me! Than I came home and went to bed for the rest of the day.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
(female)

Ishla HB User
Re: Race For The Cure

I hope I don't sound too negative here, but part of the problem that we have with getting up a "run for the cure" for FMS/CFS is that no one who actually has it would be capable of "running" long enough to make it worth while. You made it three miles... I ,personally, would not make it 10 steps. Even in a wheel chair, my arms would give out long before I could "roll" any distance. And the majority of us encounter a culture that does not believe we are really ill because this disease does not show itself in our outward appearance... it's hiding. We don't "look" sick, therefore we must just be making it all up in our heads. ......
It's a bit hard to convince the world to get out and run for a cure for us if they just don't think we are ill.

:C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

There are times that I would not make it that far. Like I said I came home and went back to bed, than I slept most of the day on Monday as well. I tend to push myself too far because I refuse to let this illness get the better of me.BTW I walked it, I did not run. That would kill me.
I realize there are a lot of us that are unable to run or even walk, but there needs to be some kind of group fundraiser that can be started to not only raise money but more important to raise awareness. If this could happen than maybe people would take us "healthy looking people" more seriously.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

We have a walk here is South Bend, IN sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation. Since Fibro is an arthritis related condition it is recognized also. I participated in it last year and got to wear a special hat because of it. There is a 1 mile walk and a 3 mile walk so participants can choose. Also, many walk in support of someone so they may not be sufferers...it is awesome, raises awareness and funds for research.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the info. I will look into weather or not there is one near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyann View Post
We have a walk here is South Bend, IN sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation. Since Fibro is an arthritis related condition it is recognized also. I participated in it last year and got to wear a special hat because of it. There is a 1 mile walk and a 3 mile walk so participants can choose. Also, many walk in support of someone so they may not be sufferers...it is awesome, raises awareness and funds for research.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

I will do the same...thanks!!
Cat :0)

Closed Thread