It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
(female)

tam821 HB User
weather, thinking of moving to CA.

I live in PA. The weather and season changes are unbearable at times. I typed in a search :best place to live with people with fibro", some results were Hawaii, ca, southwest...

I have been searching in CA. San Marcos, Vista, area.

Anyone live in southern CA. ? CAn you tell me about the living?

THANKS!

Tammy

Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Re: weather, thinking of moving to CA.

I can imagine the weather is very cold where you are currently living. Does extreme cold cause your body to go haywire? I was born in So. California and lived there all my life until I turned 58 yo. We have since moved to Colorado to retire.

The cost of living is very, very high in the L.A. area, so if you are thinking of a serious move, look into the suburbs. My son and his family just moved from Burbank to Palmdale. The area of Palmdale has experienced a lot of growth and there is a much going on. But, because of the economy, there are a lot of empty homes that are in foreclosure. This can be to your advantage however. My son bought a home for $185,000; it is a two-story home with a BIG lot. With the sale of their Burbank condo, they were able to pay cash for the Palmdale home. Just something to think about. BTW, Palmdale is a desert community and the summers are very hot. The homes are equipped with air conditioning, however. You are more in the country, as well.

Bye
Kirstee

Last edited by kirstee; 03-15-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

tam821 HB User

TY, YES! The temp changes from 29 at nite to 60 in the day for example. It causes me pain when the weather changes 20 degrees or more. Its depressing and cold in the winter. I am 50 and ready to retire to southern cal.
Oh, ill stay away from the LA area. More like the outskirts of San diego, but no in San Diego.

I just cant do it anymore here

Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I don't live in America - I live in the UK where it is cold and wet MOST of the time - this year has been horrendous. We're currently buying land and a small old falling down house in italy - with a plan to do up the house and move there in the next 18 months and then as and when we can afford it to build a big house and then rent out the small house as an additional source of income. There are I have since found out 2 other ex pats who live in this part of italy with fibro one from the states and one from the UK - they both moved to this area of Italy for the weather and light and it's made a huge difference for them both - so fingers crossed it's the same for your choice of move. It's a temperate climate mild in winter and not too hot in the summer (most of the time) - Perfect. The weather for me makes the single biggest difference on a day to day basis in terms of how I feel. Happy hunting

Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

my family lives in san diego. i love my visits down there. winters are gentle, summer beautiful and not super hot. went there once during winter. heaven! no one in my family even owns a coat!! don't need one there.
have fun deciding. it is not cheap to live here in CA, but it sure is worth it.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I agree with Blue. My son lives in San Diego, it is always nice there. It is also a very expensive area. I would love to live there. Currently we live in Palmdale, Ca. In the winter it does get cold, and sometimes we will get the rare snow. but it is always sunny. In the summer it is very HOT, you do have to have AC, We put in a swamp cooler and hardly ever have to use the AC, and we also have a pool which we live in. The weather does not affect my Fibro much, it does when the seasons change. It is very affordable here.

Sunny

Old 03-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
(male)

Ace88 HB User

Funny, I live in PA and was thinking of moving to Utah, Colorado, or Nothern Arizona. CA would be a possibility but that state is too crazy for me and the people, IMO, are too fake...but that's just me. I'm sure it is not in every area, just some.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #8
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

I live in MI, and I believe the weather is probably similar to PA: not very fibro friendly!

I was fortunate enough to spend February in the Phoenix area, and we are thinking of AZ or CO for a retirement location. Just so far from all of our families....

Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
(female)

tam821 HB User
Unhappy Re: weather, thinking of moving to CA.

Thats why I am here in PA. My family is all here. I am 50 and ready to retire to a better climate. its a tough call.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

thanks ace for allowing exceptions, giggle!
i live in nor cal. cheaper, less people, more mountains and lakes. redwood trees, hanging moss, foggy mornings, warm days. i love my weather and the country folk who live here. my family is 900 miles away down in san diego. the distance does make it hard, but city is not me, and my family are city people. we live where we are happiest and fly to see each other.
moving is a huge choice. make it with care.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 03-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Arizona is where I'm aiming for! I went there on a couple of business trips and when I stepped off the plane it was like 'whats wrong with me?' then it dawned on me I wasn't in pain (scared me a little too because I'm so used to pain that not feeling it I thought I had something REALLY WRONG with me)

The pain was gone in an instant ... then I came back to CT and I thought it was all in a dream because pain came back instantly

Fibro has no mercy in cold states

~Belle~

Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

Give me New Mexico--Santa Fe--Taos anyday...very relaxing place to live...I am an idiot for moving from there.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Oh yeah baby...I love Santa Fe too! My youngest daughter lived there a few years back and when I went to visit I fell in love with the place. My sister now lives there and I have not seen her in over 2 years. Time for a road trip!!
Cat

Closed Thread