It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

winded HB User
Has anyone been accepted for fibro disabilty

I have recently been denied provincial disabilty for Fibromyalgia and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I am a 20 year sufferer and I have been unemployed for over a year now and cannot afford what is needed to help control some of my symptoms nor can I afford to hire anyone to help me with household duties that I cannot perform myself.
Because the doc wrote that I can walk 2 blocks unaided and 2-5 stairs without any aid, they say I do not have a severe disability. Maybe I can do that but it doesn't mean it is without pain. Being able to do that does not help with daily household duties, or shopping or laundry or cooking. The doctor wrote I will never be gainfully employed.
Is there anyone out there that has been able to get the disability??
I am ready to just give up, I can't live like this anymore/

Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
(female)

IrishIre HB User
Re: Has anyone been accepted for fibro disabilty

Winded, it's rather unfortunate how fibro is treated out there. The doctor (Wolfe) who first discovered the 18 trigger points that are painful for fm sufferers has now recanted. Since the points became known, he says people are faking symptoms to get disability and now all data concerning fm is screwed. On the other hand, if you have fm on any of your doctor's paperwork, your insurance can screw you. What astounds me in all of this is that Lyrica works on so many varied symptoms--symptoms you'd be astounded to find were connected if you hadn't already studied fm and known they were a part of most of our experiences.

I think there are a couple of folks on here who got disability. I volunteered and worked my business nonstop before the final big blow. Since then any attempt to be productive seems to always be met a long the way with some serious awful health problem. After working 20 years as an employee and 11 as a business owner--all the while volunteering like crazy everywhere I went--I am now reduced to someone who couldn't even make a one hour commitment without surgery tanking it.

I think we are pioneers and there are not many roads paved for us just yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

You don't mention how many times you have been denied. Everyone is denied the first time and most even the second time. I have been denied twice. Now I have hired a lawyer and am waiting to go to court. The lawyer only takes a case if they think they can win because they only get paid if they win. In my case I have FMS/CFS and have had two cervical disc surgeries, along with mild depression. Who wouldn't after living with constant pain for so many years.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle45 View Post
You don't mention how many times you have been denied. Everyone is denied the first time and most even the second time. I have been denied twice. Now I have hired a lawyer and am waiting to go to court. The lawyer only takes a case if they think they can win because they only get paid if they win. In my case I have FMS/CFS and have had two cervical disc surgeries, along with mild depression. Who wouldn't after living with constant pain for so many years.

Isn't it sad what we have to go through, with all the denials, etc.?

Your situation sounds very much like mine, only I have had one cervical surgery - but, my neck is feeling as though another one might be coming...

I would venture a guess that your cervical issues will be as significant as the FMS/CFS. My family doctor helped me with that particular issue when I was applying for my disability coverage - I was fortunate enough to work in the insurance industry and had a long term disability policy as a benefit of employment. I barely got accepted, but I did, and I'm so grateful.

Hang in there, original poster - don't give up!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
(female)

winded HB User

thank you for your comments, I just wish the ones that are denying the applications could feel some of the pain we deal with everyday and walk just one day in our shoes. instead of adding more stress to an already stressful situation.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
(female)

emeadows HB Useremeadows HB User

I am in the process right now. Already been denied and sent the appeal. Just waiting for my court date. I know several other people who have applied for diability and I knew it wouldn't be easy. They told me I am not sick enough yet. My family doc originally said I can work with meds. I also have a bladder disease that there is no treatment or cure for. My family doc now says I am perminately disabled. I do feel fortunate that my doc is working with me. I also enlisted the services of a company that specializes in disability claims. They are not lawyers and told me that up front. there are no fees unless I win and they bill disability directly once the case is won. They take it out of any retro pay you have coming. They fight for the retro pay. I have done everything over the phone and through the mail. It's called Freedom Disability. They had my appeal filed before I even knew I was denied.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Please be careful of those type of companies....just an FYI but Freedom Disability (also known as Freedom Financial is a Canadian company that has thousands of complaints against them for fraud and are on many watch lists in the US as they are not eligible to deal directly with any state or federal agencies here...

They end up billing you for more and more money once you are approved...

I know that so many people don't want to trust lawyers at times..and there are bad seed there too but implore people to do research on any company and/or lawyer they are dealing with when it comes to filing for disability.

Just like the thousands of credit card scam companies that say they will wipe out your debt...

I would always check the BBB in your state and not deal with companies outside the US when it comes to US legal issues...

Just my opinion and research so far as I am having to apply for disability because of my cervical surgeries...but am going through my County/State and ssn government websites and offices for help...

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 03-23-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
(female)

teribam HB User

Dont give up. I have been fighting for my Social Security Disability benefits for three years now. I have fibromyalgia, Ostoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and Lumbar spondylolisthesis and was told I could work too. If I could work, I would be working, I am 46 and have worked all my life. I do not want to be in this position, but here we are. Giving up is not an option. Write and call your congressman and senator and get an attorney if you have to. SSD needs to know that they cant make us go away!!! Fight for what is yours. Hang in there. I have found a few things that help like a heated mattress pad. Resting when needed and not overdoing things on a "good" day, and I use that term loosely.
Good luck.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Hello. I was approved for SSD last Thursday and this was after 2 Denials and then I went before the Judge who approved me within 10 minutes of being in his Chambers.

Fibro/CFS/Arthritis/Depression/Anxiety (Depression and Anxiety came from the first 2 Denials . I have also had a lot of surgeries.

I had been at my job 20 years and it appears having a strong work record helps quite a bit.

It took me 1-1/2 year(s).

Keep appealing. Don't start from scratch time after time. Stay on the same route you're on. A lot of people think they need to start over with the paperwork and all that does is keep you back because (again) you're starting all over again.

Hang in there.

Take Care.

~Belle~

**There were/are a whole lot of people who are using Fibro as a reason to go on SSD when they're not ill and this is why I believe Judges are more reluctant to favor us who really have this illness because it seems everyone is using Fibro as the reason for not being able to work

Old 03-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #10
(female)

Susiek9sar HB User

I feel your pain - literally. I have Fibromyalgia too, and just started the process for applying for Disability. I hired an attorney from the start, and I'm now waiting from my appointment for my initial interview with the SSDI office. Hang in there! I'm sure there's a long road ahead of us, but be patient and have hope!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Great news re your approval Belle

Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Thank you TheSweetLife.

It really bothers me that SSD is so hard to get. I loved my job. I helped open it and at the end I had to quit due to this illness/disease. I miss it.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who miss their jobs..who have become homebound..and wonder if this is how the rest of their lives are going to be.

I HATE FIBRO/CFS/RA/OA

I want my old life back but that is not going to happen unless a cure is found.

Anyway we all need to hang in there and if you(people here who've signed up for SSD) can wait it out you will get approved.

Take Care All

~Belle~

Old 03-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Congrats on the approval Belle. It sounds like you did all the right things in all the right order. It is a shame that it can take so long. I agree, but what I would like back is my energy and if along the way some of the pain disappears that would be good too. Life is good anyway.

Glojer

Old 04-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Glojer...One thing that surprised me about my 'fully favorable' approval was what the judge wrote.

He said he found 3 of my Doctors were fantastic in their reports of me..that I kept going...( If you go twice a month to your Doctor it helps )..

Well, one of the Doctors was my Pain Management Doctor. I went to see him TWICE and that was it...I didn't like him didn't like his bedside manner and was looking for another PMD...because this PMD wrote in his report that when he saw me I was 'fatigued' (and I was...I was falling asleep in front of him I was so tired)..

The word 'Fatigued' from a PMD that I saw twice was that ONE Doctor who had a pull in getting me SSD.

Weird...totally Weird.

For the ones here who have applied this is what I can tell you.

Just keep going to your Doctor...don't go here and there...you have to be consistant...

I also was seeing a psychoTherapist...have been seeing her for YEARS and was surprised to see that the SSD Board does NOT approve PsychoTherapists
but because she had a 'real' Doctor write a report about me the SSD Board approved the 'real' Doctor....they didn't go fully with her because I was only going to talk about things I won't talk to my family/friends about...she became a paid friend

Be consistent and go on with your life. Don't get yourself all worked up because it isn't going to help pass time any sooner. Just keep in your mind that you're going to be approved eventually and until then you'll do what you can to keep your mind busy.

Take Care All

~Belle~

Old 04-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Belle, great advice. When my husband had to get disability a couple years back, our family doc who we had for 15yrs. and helped my hubby through lots of physical issues really tried to sack his disability. Well I can't say it was malicious or intentional. Our attorney ask for his written evaluation and really all he had to do was fill out some pre written questions. The doc did not answer any questions and wrote at the bottom of the page, I can't say what a man can or cannot do! That was it, our attorney showed it to us right before the hearing and stuffed it in his brief case and said no one will ever see that. During the ALJ hearing my hubby was so nervous the judge ask him a couple simple questions and he totally blanked and then looked at the attorney who tried to help him. When they walked out my hubby was apologetic to the attorney because he thought he blew it. The attorney said no I know this judge you got it. So yes, it is funny how honest mistakes can make a big difference.

Glojer

Closed Thread