It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

tinkertot HB User
Gabapentin...please read

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a little while ago. I don't know if you get flare ups or relapses, but right now I am at my worst physically, so mentally that doesn't help me either. I have intense on going pain in my back, my legs, my feet cramp, my shoulders and the headaches are so bad. Last night I didn't have a headache I had a migraine.

I am on eight paracetamol, 200mg of Tramadol, 6 ibuprofen and Amiltrypltiline a day. Also Diazepan every other day or so to try and stop the back spasms. I saw the doctor this morning and she said they also want to put me on Gabapentin now. I am pretty scared about this one. I do not tolerate druga that well, so it is always a very slow proccess for me to build up to the required dosage. I have heard it can send you a bit phsycotic and there is NO WAY I am taking it if that is the case.
I had a VERY bad experiance with Prozac once and it sent me off my head. I am a very petrified person here, in terrible pain, can anyone advise or let me know their experiances with this drug......thank you

Last edited by Administrator; 01-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Re: Gabapentin...please read

I was on gabapentin about a year ago. I started with 300mg at night for 3 days than 1 twice a day. It did not make me psychotic, however it did make me extremely tiered. To the point that I could not function at all. I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't drive to pick my kids up at school, I couldn't do ANYTHING. It also did not help much with the pain. I was in a very bad flare at the time. I also took Tramodol at the time. the only thing that has helped me is Cymbalta. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
i took it for about 9 years. never had any problems with it. it helped a bit with r.l.s. the only reason i quit was potential side affects included stroke and i was going thru spells similar to strokes so on my own advise i quit. no more spells since i quit. perhaps a connection there? don't know.
it's really up to you what you are willing to try. i can say nothing really takes the pain of fibro away so i don't bother with drugs for pain. being a zombie is not living for me. you must decide for yourself.
there was a time when i would try anything to get the pain to go away. now i just do the best i can and allow that pain is a daily aspect of my life. sometimes it's big, sometimes not. i can live with that. there are moments when i wonder just how much pain i can stand. each time i get thru it and pat myself on the back for finding my peace within the pain. i think i grow stronger every time i hurt.
may you find peace,
bluelakelady

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Gu3mom (02-08-2012)
Old 03-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

me and my fibro HB User

Hubby is up to 1200 mg gabapentin three times daily..., he's never had a problem with it. It isn't for pain so much, as it is for neuropathy, which is in itself painful, but more like "nerve spasms", as in RLS. Hubby takes it for M.S., which is a disease of the central nervous system, and therefore, it controls alot of his pain and spasms wonderfully, and even at his high dose, he's NEVER had a problem with it. He does hate pills, and therefore tries to cut back, or do without from time to time, and he cannot live without it. My input would be, if the doctor says try it, try it (get a second opinion if you would feel more comfortable). You can always try something else if it doesn't help. Oh! By the way, Hubby only takes so much because M.S. is a progressive disease, so where 300 mg. used to do the trick five years ago, as the damage worsens, the need for meds increases. I'm under the impression that fibro doesn't actually "destroy" your body like M.S., so maybe you'll never see such a high dose.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

smartsyartsy HB User

Hi, I have been on Gabapentin for a month and have noticed a lessening of some of my pain, actually the worst of it. I gradually have gotten to 1500/day. I have not felt psychotic. I take it with tramadol and it has allowed me to back off some of the tramadol. (now taking 200mg tramadol down from 400mg)

Good luck with your decision, and feel better.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-29-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
(female)

Janaly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertot View Post
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a little while ago. I don't know if you get flare ups or relapses, but right now I am at my worst physically, so mentally that doesn't help me either. I have intense on going pain in my back, my legs, my feet cramp, my shoulders and the headaches are so bad. Last night I didn't have a headache I had a migraine, and there is a difference, I could quite happily of just ended it all.
I am on eight paracetamol, 200mg of Tramadol, 6 ibuprofen and Amiltrypltiline a day. Also Diazepan every other day or so to try and stop the back spasms. I saw the doctor this morning and she said they also want to put me on Gabapentin now. I am pretty scared about this one. I do not tolerate druga that well, so it is always a very slow proccess for me to build up to the required dosage. I have heard it can send you a bit phsycotic and there is NO WAY I am taking it if that is the case.
I had a VERY bad experiance with Prozac once and it sent me off my head, I would rather die than go through that again. I am a very petrified person here, in terrible pain, can anyone advise or let me know their experiances with this drug......thank you
Health struggles are so hard aren't they. In answer to Gabapentin.
First time I was perscribed it last year I was started out on 300mgs
at bedtime. (for my intercystial cystitis and neck neuralgia) I felt
like a zombie the next day and did not function well. BUT I called my
doctor right away and she decreased it to 150 mgs for several weeks
and then increased it to 300 mgs. That worked well and I've gained
some benefits. My neurelgia, arthritis in knees is much better! The
benifits of The med for my IC though is yet not as beneficial it seems.

I am not on other meds so I can gage decently that I can tolerate
Gabapentin fine thus far.

Side effects for me mainly are....a little extra tired the next day.
Also I take my pm GabaPentin at 6pm rather than at 10pm when
I generally go to bed. If I did not take the dose early in the evening,
I feel my tiredness the next day would be more significant.

Hopefully you will get more feedback from other members who
have more experiences with the other medications you mentioned
and also Fibro etc.

Warmest regards to you Tinkertot.

Hugs....

Last edited by Janaly; 03-26-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
(female)

Dianescat HB User

I started taking gabapentin again after being off of it for several years. Started out with 100mg before bed, then increased to 300 and sometimes 400. I think it increases restful sleep: I woke up a lot with strange pains in my back, feet hands arms, etc and neck also.

when I started again this time, at first it felt rather weird, with sort of twitchiness. But as I increased the amount it actually got better.

I also take 200 mg of tramadol which I cannot tell any side effects from. In fact the only effect is when I forget to take it for a day or so, I notice much more pain in my hands and forearms.

I have also started on some acetyl l carnitine in the morning, as well as sitting in front of a "happy lite" during breakfast. Before that I had trouble waking up for several hours.

I read that the carnitine should be taken for three weeks, then off for a week, to keep from getting accustomed to it, and making it less effective.

I was able to get a jar of it , and I only take about 1/4 teaspoon in a little water, so it should last for years... Before the capsules I had were too large, too much carnitine can give me headaches and body odor...

My friend who has chronic pain as well as being anxious and agoraphobic and bipolar, diabetic and heart trouble, has recently been taking gabapentin. She resisted it, but now takes it before bed and it does help.

Exercise is supposed to be the best thing for fibro and chronic pain , weight loss diabetes, heart trouble, etc. (and sleep helps also)
but you can't exercise if you have extreme pain, or sleep either

Last edited by Administrator; 01-29-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
(female)

Lavender Lady HB User

Quote:
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a little while ago. I don't know if you get flare ups or relapses, but right now I am at my worst physically, so mentally that doesn't help me either. I have intense on going pain in my back, my legs, my feet cramp, my shoulders and the headaches are so bad. Last night I didn't have a headache I had a migraine, and there is a difference, I could quite happily of just ended it all.
I had a VERY bad experiance with Prozac once and it sent me off my head, I would rather die than go through that again. I am a very petrified person here, in terrible pain, can anyone advise or let me know their experiances with this drug......thank you
Just registered to reply to your post. I too, have difficulty with medications. I'm that one in a million that the rare side effects happen to. I just had a "crazy" reaction to Topamax, which my doctor prescribed to prevent migraines. I am newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia & in lots of pain. Started Elavil a week ago. I've been taking Advil like candy & occasional Tylenol for over a year with no relief. I know about Gabapentin mostly from my nursing career. My husband has also taken it. I consider it a great drug and have never encountered anyone who had any ill or adverse effects while taking it. It can do wonders for some people & I've seen it do nothing for others. It was one of the first drugs & asked my doctor about trying. He said it's a possibility, but wanted to try the Elavil first. I do not tolerate most antidepressants; they make me feel horrible & I would rather die than feel the way they make me feel. I was skeptical about the Elavil, but it's different than the newer antidepressants & I'm taking a low dose. So far, no problems, but no relief yet. I highly recommend trying Gabapentin.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User

I am going to bring it up to my doc at my appointment tomorrow! Maybe he won't shoot me down!

Hugs,

Pam

Old 06-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
(male)

levivibe HB User

hi
ive been on it for 3 weeks and it just makes me feel drunk. no success of pain management. i will keep on keeping on.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
(female)

Cloud30 HB User

Quote:
Gabapentin was the only drug out of all the ones I have been on that actually worked for my headache pain. The only side effect I noted was tiredness, but I think you'd probablly be OK because you're on Diazepam that causes more tiredness. Once you get used to the drug about 2 weeks out you'll notice the tiredness decreasing hopefully. Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

I am on gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day, also on diazepam 5mg 3 times a day. I do get a bit drowsy but I am out of work right now so it isn't really an issue. I do feel these drugs to be the most beneficial to me so far. I also take trazodone at night to help me sleep. My only side effect from the gabapentin is dry mouth when I wake in the morning. I still have horrible pain, but usually after the meds wear off. My complaint is the sheer exhaustion, going down the stairs to the mailbox gets me totally out of breath. Good luck and keep positive thoughts!! I know this can be a totally depressing illness but you are not alone..

hugs
Sandra

Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

I'm on a very low dose of it... 100mg two times a day and it has caused no problems. I got really messed up by Lyrica, so I think I was about as shy to go for another med as you, tinkertot. It took the edge off rib pain that was making me near hysterical--it took a two-three weeks to get any benefit from it and two doctors want me on more of it, but I'd rather just take the edge off of it than take more med. Hope whatever decision you make turns out to be the best one!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
(female)

squib1 HB User

i was on this drug for awhile on quite a high dose 300mg twice a day it was very good but intends to make you gain a lot of weight i gained 3 stone. i,m now off it and with hard work have lost 2and a half stone but had a lot of trouble coming off it i think i did it too quickly and ended up in and out of hospital for a year now i just take tramadol slow release,amyatriptilene, cocodamol i,m still in pain but try to grin and bare it

Old 07-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Oh that rib pain is the worst, it does make you want to scream..I notice on the gabapentin it makes me drowsy, which is a good thing for me. Sleep is an issue..Nothing totally takes the pain away. I have found that smoking a little bit of marijuana helps tremendously with the pain. But being illegal it is not an option for everyone..

S

Closed Thread