It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Fibro and now this

CHICKEN POX !!!! I'm getting too old for all of this !!!

Anyone here get Chicken Pox age 50 or more, having this with Fibromyalgia is undescrible. I have no idea where i came in contact with this. I did not have chicken pox as a child , so chicken pox found me in my much later years.
I am totally miserable. Anyone here please, doc just diagnosed me and not much i can do. Having Fibromyalgia and throwing the chicken pox in the mix. Doc said no asprin, as asprin can cause a syndrome i don't need.
Benadryl and Caladryl lotion is what i am taking for the itching.

Here's another concern i have read upon. Having Chicken pox after age 50 may bring on Shingles at some time. Anyone ideas of this happening ?

Fibromyalgia has always brought burning pain throughout, now having chicken pox is deep burning under all these flaming red bumps. Getting through these next weeks will be a challenge. Itch, wow do i itch !!

Anyone with Shingles following Chicken Pox ? Something i do not need as Fibro is much to live with adding another.

Any response will be helpful.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
Re: Fibro and now this

I'm so sorry you're suffering with this terrible illness BeHappy, and hope that it doesn't take too long for you to get over it. Please try anything you can to keep the itching under control so that you don't scar from scratching in your sleep. An antihistamine like benadryl is good, so is the Caladryl lotion; when my kids had it, we used Calamine lotion on them, I don't know if they still make it. Maybe some aloe juice would be helpful - both on your body and drinking it.

Shingles can happen to anyone who has had chicken pox at any time in their life. It is the chicken pox virus in a different form, and it is usually brought on by major stress. I personally know 2 people who have had shingles; one person was in her late 30's the other was my father-in-law, in his early 80's. Both were going through high stress periods in their lives at the time. I think that if you can find ways to manage your stress levels you can lessen the possibility of it occurring.

I hope this helps somewhat, and I hope you feel better very very soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

I hope you feel better soon BeHappy.

~Belle~

Old 03-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

HI Be Happy - I thought you hadn't been on the boards for a while and was hoping you were OK - so sorry to hear about the chicken pox - over here in the UK calamine lotion (pink stuff) is really soothing and I'd ice yourself as much as you can and if you're able to take them antihistamines work wonders. I don't know much about shingles with the exception of one friend I know and he was going through a really stressful time as Christine described. So I guess putting that positive hat on that you do so well will help

Old 03-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Oh how I feel for you. Try taking 500mg twice daily of L-Lysine on an empty stomach, take with water (no milk). This supplment is important for healing and for fighting the virus that causes shingles. Another good supplment is Vitamin C with bioflavonoids 2,000mg 4 times daily. This supplment aids in fighting the virus and boosting the immune system. Vitmin E in d-alpha-tocopherol form, 400-800 IU daily, opening the capsule to apply the oil directly to the affected areas is healing. Grape seed extract is a powerful anitoxidant that protects skin cells and decreases the number of outbreaks of blisters (take as directed on the label).

Did your MD talk to you about acyclovir (Zovirax) which is also used for herpes?

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

BeHappy, it seems when my kids had the chicken pox I was told to give them oatmeal baths for the itching. Also used the calamine. They both had a very,very, light case. My hubby had shingles once about 15yrs. ago, he had chicken pox as a child. I guess it was a stressful time for him, we were selling one house, moving to an apt. and then figuring out where we were going from there. All this while our daughter graduated high school and was leaving for college and our son was getting his license and ready to get out from under his big sisters shadow. Me I just gained about 40lbs......giggle!

Hang in there, I know it isn't easy. Sending you peace and no itch energy.

Glojer

Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
(female)

red horse woman HB User

did u know there was a vaccine for shingles? my autie had shingles inside her brain. came very very close to dying. my mom went and got the vaccine it scared her so bad. anyone can get shingles after they had their first exposure to chicken pox. no matter what their age is. my daughter had chicken pox at age 3 and then had a case of shingles along her rib cage (much more common place) at age 15. very painful. get the vaccine.
God bless

Closed Thread