It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
(male)

Mikeyson3 HB User
Caffeine and Exercise Question (re: possible diagnosis)

Hello, I have had chronic pain as well as most other Fibro symptoms for about 4-5 years now but am unsure if its exactly what I have (if i had to guess, itd just be RSI injuries in back/neck/etc and depression/anxiety has just been a result of the pain/symptoms of the injury's consequences on my life rather than one whole "condition".. i say this because early on when the pain onset, it was just pain, no anxiety/depression or anything, just pain/tightness/numbness/tingling,etc-then as time went on and frustration/negativity set in, the other symptoms followed).. a few questions I have to assist in diagnosing/misdiagnosing it.. ill bold the questions itself if you dont want to read everything

Caffeine after ingesting has helped with pain/fatigue during the "high" i receive from it.. now obviously caffeine is going to spark a false short term energy, but my question is to any of you with fibro, has caffeine ingestion (short term we are talking, not after the high or the next day,etc) helped with pain and fatigue? or has it worsened?.. i also read caffeine tightens muscles-the rare times i drink coffee, i feel so much looser, the difference is night and day.. tender points are even less painful to pressure..

During exercise (be it cardio or heavy lifting)I feel great once i get going, less pain, increased energy, very upbeat, etc etc.. What actually drains me is the ~one hour stretch i go through prior to it, i guess it is some sort of obsessive compulsive thing that I need everything looser since the pain is throughout and I need that sense of everything even.. my question is, to people with fibro, do you have pain during exercise? or relief like i experience.. i must say im an adrenaline junky and when i work up my adrenaline I feel much better (i know fibro/adrenaline are related but im not sure in what way).. also after exercise i feel great.. naturally exhaused but great physically and mentally nonetheless, is this normal or abnormal to people with fibro?

also in terms of numbness/tingling, the only constant spot i get this is mid/left back (rhomboid/lower trap area) which increases when my back is rounded or i carry something in my left hand-this another reason i feel its just one big RSI causing spasms/pressure on nerves.. also I have gotten 4 months worth of trigger point injections (weekly/every other week).. these injections help for idk, 3 days tops? then that knot reappears like nothing was injected and i must say my doc is talented with the needle, everything twitches and releases in the office, i feel loose in those spots/referred spots the next 24-72 hours, but then tighten back up.. my current status is im about to get prolotherapy to the neck/back among others over the next few weeks/months to strengthen/bring blood/etc to ligaments/tendons/etc which then supposedly will allow the muscles to relax/return to normal..

really appreciate it

edit: one thing i think i should add.. twice in the last 3 years, once while giving a public speaking speech for class (which i really wasnt nervous in a bad way, more of a positive nervousness and i did very well) and another time at a viewing for a longtime friend who passed away i tightened up (especially in my neck/scm area) and my hands turned white and starting tingling(also my heart was racing).. what is weird is the time i did the speech, it was just my pinky/ring finger on both hands, and at the viewing both my entire hands were tingling.. are these anxiety attacks? they were about one year apart and the only 2 times they have ever happened in my life (both after my problems started though)

Last edited by Mikeyson3; 03-27-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
(female)

Madeofglass HB User
Re: Caffeine and Exercise Question (re: possible diagnosis)

With me, the case is like this.. I can exercise 3 times a week pretty well (gym, aerobics,dance,chiball,core exercises, etc..) but anything that would seem pretty easy to others makes me feel horrible.. and I'm talking about sitting, standing, lifting my hands up, lying down for long periods of time. When I'm standing in a long line I feel cold sweat coming and the nausea, then the lower back pain doubles or triples, and my legs start feeling totally worn out. Standing in the shower is pretty afwul too, that's why I always try to spend as little time in there as I can.. I don't know about caffeine, it certainly makes my anxiety and IBS worse, but yea it helps me stay awake... but it's not a pleasant feeling, more like nervousness.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Caffeine and Exercise Question (re: possible diagnosis)

For me prior to Fibro I was able to do lots of exercise - running, cycling, spin classes to my max - now I exercise but to 35% or so of what I was doing - sadly for me excessive exercise brings on flairs - so now I walk, swim spin (30 mins max light resistance) aqua class, pilates - if I stretched for an hour I'd be unable to move for a week - I can only do light stretching and within my range not beyond like I used to. And doing the limiting exercise I do still makes me feel good (though sometimes I get frustrated/sad when I see my friends having a really fab work out and all I can do by comparison is potter!!! So it helps me for sure. Caffeine is difficult to say as I only have max of 1 coffee a day as I'm eliminating/reducing stimulants so I can sleep better which I believe is one of the keys as well as exercise to managing fibro

Closed Thread