It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

lilcee HB User
Is this part of Firbormyalgia?

I was diagnosed with Fribro a few months ago after many tests and years of pain.
Lately I've been getting pain in my middle back - just below my bra line. (all along the T4 - T7 area I think) When I use my arms - as in cooking, cleaning, reaching for things, driving etc - it causes the pain to be worse and I get tightness in my chest. I used to think I was having some kind of heart problem but the Drs all say it's not my heart (I've seen several Drs for this)
The back Dr I went to said the back pain is from the Fibro. Does anyone else have the pain in that area? I've had MRI and xrays of my back and it shows my discs are fine.
When it hurts, it also feels swollen and tight. It hurts to lay down and to sit back against a chair.
Also, when I walk, my legs feel heavy like they're full of lead. My right foot is tingly sometimes too. And when I walk, my shoulders feel like they have bricks on them and I get tired out easy.
I've had lots of tests and all the Drs say Fibro.
I have to go for physical therapy for my back.
Anyone else do physical therapy and have the pain in that area and did it help? Any suggestions on what to do for pain?

One other thing, I have GERD, and fatty liver. Anyone have this and can give me suggestions on what to eat or not eat?

Thanks for any help

Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
Re: Is this part of Firbormyalgia?

Based on my experience, the pain you describe in your mid back may very well be associated with fibromyalgia. I experience exactly the same thing. My primary diagnosis is CFS, with chronic myofascial pain (although I've also been told I have FM). As you describe, any task that involves using my arms in front of my body (even if supported on a table) makes the pain worse. I really know I've done too much of this type of activity when the pain in my chest wall area is so severe, it wakes me up at night with the sensation that a tight band is squeezing my torso. When this happens, I'm afraid to even move because it seems I'm having a heart attack. And, when I awaken the following morning, I'm a bit surprised to still be alive. That's how bad it is. I, too, have had full cadiac investigations (most recently four days in the hospital starting with being ordered to Emergency by my doctor -- the symptoms were so worrisome to her). Like you, my heart is fine.

Last year I spent many months in physio, gradually building up exercises to strengthen my back. It seemed to be working, and at times I was almost pain free. Then, I was hit with my first acute Rheumatoid Arthritis attack and the back pain returned. My x-rays do show some degeneration in my spine, but I suspect not enough to explain the severity of my pain. The only thing that improves the pain is bed rest. In fact, I start most days without back pain. But, the pain always returns by mid day, or earlier.

When you go to physio, make sure your therapist is aware of any exercise limitations you may have (eg. that you become easily fatigued). I've done more harm than good in the past listening to therapists who believe patients can cure their CFS/FM with exercise, and who therefore don't modify the program appropriately. I'm currently trying a new type of chiropractic, but it is too early to tell if it will reduce my back pain. It does seem to be improving my neck.

With respect to your GERD, I solved a chronic heartburn problem by removing all refined carbohydrates from my diet (eg. sugar, white flour). If you are interested, do a search on the internet for low-GI diets. Whether or not it helps your GERD symptoms, it is a healthy way to eat for many other health conditions.

Best of luck to you. I know how overwhelming it can be to have pain and multiple health problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Light sports massage and light exercise are the 2 things I swear by the most. I see a sports therapist for massage at least once a week - I'm in real pain at the moment and she says she can feel massive lumps of solid grissle - yuk! My left hip is sooooooo sore at the moment it almost feels like it's the bone - interestingly enough it's my left glutes (sp?) that are rock hard. I often find that where I feel the pain isn't the source of the problem. Really really important you find someone who knows what they're doing...

Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
(female)

lilcee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensitivo View Post
Based on my experience, the pain you describe in your mid back may very well be associated with fibromyalgia. I experience exactly the same thing. My primary diagnosis is CFS, with chronic myofascial pain (although I've also been told I have FM). As you describe, any task that involves using my arms in front of my body (even if supported on a table) makes the pain worse. I really know I've done too much of this type of activity when the pain in my chest wall area is so severe, it wakes me up at night with the sensation that a tight band is squeezing my torso. When this happens, I'm afraid to even move because it seems I'm having a heart attack. And, when I awaken the following morning, I'm a bit surprised to still be alive. That's how bad it is. I, too, have had full cadiac investigations (most recently four days in the hospital starting with being ordered to Emergency by my doctor -- the symptoms were so worrisome to her). Like you, my heart is fine.

Last year I spent many months in physio, gradually building up exercises to strengthen my back. It seemed to be working, and at times I was almost pain free. Then, I was hit with my first acute Rheumatoid Arthritis attack and the back pain returned. My x-rays do show some degeneration in my spine, but I suspect not enough to explain the severity of my pain. The only thing that improves the pain is bed rest. In fact, I start most days without back pain. But, the pain always returns by mid day, or earlier.

When you go to physio, make sure your therapist is aware of any exercise limitations you may have (eg. that you become easily fatigued). I've done more harm than good in the past listening to therapists who believe patients can cure their CFS/FM with exercise, and who therefore don't modify the program appropriately. I'm currently trying a new type of chiropractic, but it is too early to tell if it will reduce my back pain. It does seem to be improving my neck.

With respect to your GERD, I solved a chronic heartburn problem by removing all refined carbohydrates from my diet (eg. sugar, white flour). If you are interested, do a search on the internet for low-GI diets. Whether or not it helps your GERD symptoms, it is a healthy way to eat for many other health conditions.

Best of luck to you. I know how overwhelming it can be to have pain and multiple health problems.
Thank you for your reply. A lot of that sounds just like me.Any arm movement in front of me seems to make it worse. Another thing I find is when I lay on my right side, my left arm hurts and my left hand goes to sleep. It gets so discouriging (sp?) sometimes doesn't it.?

Do any of you have itching too? That drives me nuts.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

lilcee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweetlife View Post
Light sports massage and light exercise are the 2 things I swear by the most. I see a sports therapist for massage at least once a week - I'm in real pain at the moment and she says she can feel massive lumps of solid grissle - yuk! My left hip is sooooooo sore at the moment it almost feels like it's the bone - interestingly enough it's my left glutes (sp?) that are rock hard. I often find that where I feel the pain isn't the source of the problem. Really really important you find someone who knows what they're doing...
Thank you for your reply. The therapist I'm going to is very well known here in my city and they have a hospital as well as several clinics. I've been to them before for my shoulders but I have to go again and have them concentrate on my back. I know what you mean about the hips. I did message therapy last year and she found so many "knots" in my muscles and it hurt so bad.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
(female)

cherdox HB User

I have Fibro and with it Spinal Stenosis. I am having terrible pain right now in the middle of my back that goes around my chest. So hard to breath. This is something new added to all my other ailments that have occured in the last 10 years I have had this horrendous illness. I am so tired of being in pain and it is just neverending. I wish they would find a cure already.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

Spinal Stenosis is so painful...I have it in my neck and in mid to low back which then goes into degenerative Scoliosis...I can't walk like I'd want to..then I fell down the stairs and landed HARD on the side of the degenerative part of scoliosis

I feel so bad for everyone who has all the ailments along with Fibro...it's like it is neverending...

I HATE HATE HATE FIBRO

~Belle~

Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
(female)

lilcee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleoftheSouth View Post
Spinal Stenosis is so painful...I have it in my neck and in mid to low back which then goes into degenerative Scoliosis...I can't walk like I'd want to..then I fell down the stairs and landed HARD on the side of the degenerative part of scoliosis

I feel so bad for everyone who has all the ailments along with Fibro...it's like it is neverending...

I HATE HATE HATE FIBRO

~Belle~
Ouch, that's terrible. I hope you are feeling better. I know that had to be really painful. I'm in a lot of pain today. Starting physical therapy but I may have to go back to the Dr or get another opinion. The pt said I may have a rupsured disk or something pinched. He gave me one stretch to do over the weekend and it's so painful. He was surprised that the dr didn't do any tests. He was just going by a year old xray and Mri I had done last year. My pain is much worse than it was back then. There must be some other tests he can do. I was surprised too because he's at the Mayo Clinic and I thought they help you when no one can. At least that's what I've always been told.
Anyways, hope you are feeling better and have a Happy Easter.
Thanks to all who replyed.

Closed Thread