It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

Ishla HB User
Question about Iodine

Has anyone here heard about the use of Iodine supplimentation?

My brothers and I all suffer from fatigue, yet currently, I am the only one who has a "crashed thyroid" as my brother puts it. I'm also the only one diagnosed with hypothyroid disease, and fibromyalgia.

There is this theory (that my oldest brother has been studying) that we are all being poisoned by the chlorine (and bromin ?) added to the water systems, and that supplimenting with iodine can flush this chlorine and the other metals out of your system.

Both my brothers have experienced phenominal results on the Iodine treatment, and after only 2 doses myself, I have noticed a change. My prognosis is still very guarded at this time... but I'm starting to wonder. Bro also proclaims massive benefit from supplimenting a vitamin concoction that has adrenal benefits. I'm too leary of that one because it uses bovine adrenal hormones (my pharmasist says it can affect my BP meds)... but I am getting curious.

I'll keep updating as I feel changes with the iodine. I know that with my thyroid messed up, I need iodine anyway. This way I can use kosher salt and not have to worry about getting enough iodine in the salt I use. ( I was supposed to use iodized salt, but I've never cared for the taste... kosher is so much better)

Anyone else?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

hpfan28 HB User
Re: Question about Iodine

My doctor swears on this treatment. I have yet to try it because I am so sensitive to new meds or supplements. He says that we really need iodine & there isn't enough in the soil, adding to that there are other things that are taking the iodine away from our bodies. I read a book about it - "Iodine - Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It" by David Brownstein, M.D. It sounds promising. You'll have to keep everyone apprised.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

What would the beneficial dosage of an Iodine suplement be?
Cat

Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

hpfan28 HB User

The book I mentioned in the previous post has all of that info. You have to start out slowly & build up. With my drug sensitivities, I'll be starting with a 1/2 pill. My doc recommends Iodoral. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
(female)

Ishla HB User

Okay, I've noticed a lack of info on my part. Sorry.

I'm using a liquid form that comes in a small bottle with an eyedropper lid. You can get it at any natural or herbal supply stores. Brand names vary, so you'll have to ask at the health food store, or hebal shop you visit.

On this particular regimen, I start by adding one drop to a small glass of water, once in the morning, then once at night, a few hours before bedtime. At one week, increase to one drop in the morning, and two drops at night, then on weekly increases, adding one drop at a time per week, you work your way up to 4 drops per morning and 4 per evening. I think that 8 drops per day is the maximum, but I'll look into that further after I hear from my brother again.

Yesterday was the beginning of week 2 for me. So far, I've noticed an increase in energy, but no significant reduction in my pain levels. I am getting an overall better feeling of well-being that is difficult to describe. It's very nice, but then again, I want to decrease pain more than anything. I do savor the increase in energy though.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

Ishla:
I was reading your post and I have a dilemma. I am on synthroid for hyprothyroid and I also have hashimotos. I have been also suffering for years with fatigue and body aches and stomach problems, etc. The list goes on. I was not diagnosed definitely with fibro or cfs but i have similar symptoms. I recently started taking something called cell food which is a combo of minerals and oxygen. I feel better. Don't know if it is co-incidence or whether whatever I have is in remission for a while or is the cell food helping. Anyway, I have been told by a natural dr. that I needed the iodine supplement that you are talking about. The problem is that my endo dr. does not believe in that. I have been on synthroid for about 18 years. I don't know if I can just add iodine. There seems to a lot of controversy with using that. Any information you can get from your problem would be helpful. Thanks. P.S. Have you ever heard of a product called MMS? Miracle Mineral Solution (I think). Google it. I have heard very good things. Strong stuff but might be helpful for your fibro. It was created by a guy named Jim Humble. It was a big help originally for the treatment of malaria. Let me know what you think. LaLa

Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

I read somewhere that the Q10-supplement can be beneficial in treating fibro and chronic fatigue. It's quite expensive though, 60 capsules cost me around 20 dollars, and the normal daily dosage is 2 capsules a day...60 mg. I'm gonna give this one a go, maybe it will help.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
(female)

seantal HB Userseantal HB User

LALA: The problem with taking Iodine supplementation with synthryoid is that it may mess up your levels, they would have to be monitored by your endo and if he doesn't beleive in it in the first place, you might have a problem.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
(female)

Ishla HB User

Lala, I've not heard of that product, but it sounds interesting.

And as Seantal says, it may mess with your levels. I also take synthroid, and have for 3 to 5 years now. My doctor doesn't know about my experimentation with the iodine yet because I see him on a six month basis. He did, however, recomend using iodine inhanced salt when seasoning my food. That is the only reason I chose to do the experiment without him. I will see in six months if it affects my thyroid blood tests, and will GLADLY go to a lower dose of it if it is indicated. I take 175 mg now... and feel like it's just barely having an effect on my stamina. I HIGHLY recommend consulting your doctor before trying something like this... again, I only did it without my doc's consult because he already had recomended supplimenting iodine in my diet through the salt intake. You should ask your doctor anyway, even if he doesn't believe in it. Maybe he will allow you to try it anyway because of all the literature about iodized salt and it's history of iodine being added to salt in the first place because of iodine defficiency in the 30's and 40's in this country.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
(female)

JenHelm68 HB User

I have been on iodine for over a year as well as starting the bovine thyroid about 3 months ago. It has been a long road and an exhausting struggle, but I'm finally stable. I do not go to my medical doctor anymore because he only pushed pills and told me to resign to the fact I will be on medicine for the rest of my life. I go to a naturopath/chiropractor who believes in making the body well with natural supplements and God made foods as opposed to prescription drugs. Find a health practitioner who believes as you do and supports your journey to wellness, not tolerance of illness.

Closed Thread