It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
your experience with OxyContin

hello friends,
thanks in advance for any input. my doc wants me to start taking this. quite honestly i am unsure how i feel about it so i am asking for your thoughts.
i have been on low dose vicodin for 12 years and he worries about the tylenol and my kidneys. good concerns and they are valid. ergo, my considering it at all.
i am a big baby about vomiting and have heard it can do that. eating is an issue for me, i seldom eat. i don't want to be a zombie either.
again thank you for sharing your most precious gift, your time and energy.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sophie56 HB User
Re: your experience with OxyContin

Are you keeping your tylenol level under the safe daily consumption?
Sophie 56

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sophie,
i take 1 to 3 pills a day that contain tylenol. each pill contains 500mg of tylenol and 50 mg of vicodin. honestly i don't know since i never paid any attention to how much tylenol one can take. i don't take it and of course over the years forgot it was in the vicodin. duh!
i am having some sensitivity in my kidneys and have a history of trouble with them. infections and such.
thanks for replying. i appreciate your time.
peace,
blue

Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Are you sure you don't mean 5mg? The bottle would read 5/500mg APAP. 5mg hydrocodone and 500mg acetaminophen. Three pills would only be 1500mg. The maximum amount of acetaminophen for adults is 1 gram (1000 mg) per dose and 4 grams (4000 mg) per day. Hoppy

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

thanks hopalong,
yea, giggle, thats what i meant. giggle. but back to the origional question about oxycontin. i will be seeing my doc today to discuss the change. guess no one is taking it and actually that is a good thing so i am cool with finding out for myself.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

I don't know if this will help since you've already seen your doctor, but I've taken vicodin, oxycodone, oxycontin, and currently taking opana, and opana er. I did not have any side effects from either the oxycodone 15 mg (break through) or oxycontin 40 mg (except constipation), but easily solved with stool softeners. The medicine did not make me feel "loopy" and functioned like normal. In comparision to oxycontin and opana er I think I liked the oxycontin better. The main benefit is the opana er lasts longer, but I don't feel it's as effective. I feel the oxycontin lasted right around 8-9 hours.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Phed0017 HB User

Makes me nausious. I found out my fibro pain was due to food sensitivities!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

Well .. The bad thing is you have fibro, but the good thing is that know what exact triggers the flares will help you manage the beast better .. One thing that I have read about with people taking the med is that if they do get sick to their stomach that normally once their body gets used to taking the med that the icky feeling normally goes away .. If you don't mind me asking what mg did they start you off on and is it helping?

Old 04-17-2010, 01:30 AM   #9
(female)

dreambig1234 HB User

Please be careful because Oxycotin is highly addictive. You build a physical tolerance to it and a respiratory tolerance to it at different rates and that is why people overdose from it. please, if you are going to take it...do NOT exceed the doctors recommendations. If you do so once you will continue to do so. Good Luck

Old 04-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

thanks everyone for your replies. i opted to take 15mg morphine extended release instead. will up my stool softener as it did cause constipation the first day. amazing to be in no pain. does not touch the fibro but then nothing does, however it is taking the pain of my body eating itself away. my mind stays pretty clear, moments of feeling a bit disconnected. i cannot tell you how wonderful it was to not be my own pain in the arse yesterday. my arse has been hurting for over 2 years due to spinal injury and degeneration of joints.
now if i can go poo we just may have an answer for this arthritic old girl! yipeeee!
peace,
blue
ps. upside, i have to eat to take it. maybe i can keep my weight steady now that i have to eat to take my feel better med. i do feel a bit of irritation in my tummy and a bit of toast helps that.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

F150,
i don't mind having fibro. in fact i see it as one of the best things to happen in my life. i am more aware, more compassionate, more loving and nicer to myself than i ever was healthy. every moment has a golden reason.
peace,
blue

Closed Thread