It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
You Will Likely Go Through This...

Given every profession has its own jerks, I just thought it might be helpful to bring up the fact that every patient is likely to encounter one serious jerk through the course of their medical history. Don't take it personally, just understand we're all due one or two.

I've just been further organizing health records for the members of my family and came across a report from a neurosurgeon after my car accident. I remember the day the report was faxed. I was sitting in the hospital room with my dying mother, shortly after my dad had died, and my husband called me and read the report. It wreaked of suspicion. I was so worn out at the time that I just didn't even have energy/reserve/guts enough to do anything about it or the afteraffects of the accident. My husband had been wanting to use a lawyer to address the car accident because a) the insurance company was doing the usual insurance company thing and b) because our family was in complete upheaval between accident, my business suffering because of the meds, my dad's illness/death, my mom's illness (and death a few months later), and our small children. We just didn't have the time to fight for ourselves.

The report, in quick summary, cast doubt on whether I'd be reporting such pains if there was not insurance money to be had. I had already had one surgeon say I needed surgery; this guy was the second opinion. I almost didn't go for a tie-breaking opinion. I went to my pcp and he asked me what I thought of this jerk's opinion. I almost felt the pcp was agreeing. I just looked at him and said, "well, if I'm making this up, then can you give me a referral to a psychologist" and I showed him the films myself. He quickly discounted the guy's suspicions and said it was a shame someone so young had such a neck.

So... all that is to say... get past the jerks quick and don't doubt yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: You Will Likely Go Through This...

I'll second that!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: You Will Likely Go Through This...

Amen! I had my own horror tale from a PCP that reported "patient was hysterical" all because I had the forsight to make a detailed list of all my symptoms, hoping it would help him narrow down what was wrong with me. Needless to say I went to the 3rd Rheumatologist before someone decided I should be evaluated further and was discovered that along with spinal problems (post ACDF) and Fibromyalgia, that I had Lupus that definitely would not respond to the traditional FMS treatment. I am thankful that at least every couple of dozen doctors you find one that believes a patient and does not think you belong in the loony bin. Don't even get me started on the psychologists and psychiatrists! Sorry you had to meet up with such a jerk during such difficult times.

Closed Thread