It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User
Lyrica: How did it affect your symptoms?

Hi all. I'm hoping to be able to reach out there and get as much responses as I can about how lyrica affected them. My symptoms are:

Symptoms: (starting from head to foot)
- Anxiety
- Depression
- Migraines occur 1-2 times per week lasting 4-8 hours. The migraines are progressive and start with a deep aching pain at the base of the neck and travel behind the ear into the temple, behind the eye, and ends at the top of the skull.
- CONSTANT deep dull aching pain between the shoulder blades & spine that radiates into the shoulder blades and into the top of the shoulders. (Have had for 3+ years).
- Intense burning pain that travels along the perimeter of both shoulder blades.
- Deep dull aching pain primarily in my forearms, wrists/fingers, but sometimes in my biceps.
- CONSTANT mixture of deep dull & sharp stabbing pain in the low back/hip area (apprx 2-3" from the spine right above BOTH hips). (Have had for 1+ year).
- Intense burning pain that radiates into both buttocks cheeks, but sometimes will go further into the left leg.
- Deep dull aching pain in the tailbone.
- Sporadic sciatic-like pain in the left leg.
- Deep dull aching pain in both legs (primarily left thigh, but some times right thigh; knees; calves; ankles). If after sitting for awhile I'll have jabbing electrifying pains in my knees and ankles.
- Sporadically it'll feel like my right side of my lower-back, side, & stomach is on fire if something touches the area; when bathing it feels like my wash cloth is sand paper to my chest.
- Moderate to severe muscle / joint stiffness in the morning
- Pain is worse in the morning (until 11-12) & then worsens in the evening (around 4-5).
- SEVERE fatigue even after sleeping 4-8 hours. (Was prescribed Nuvigil 250 mg, because unable to stay awake during the day. The med helps but at times I have episodes where I have to fight to keep my eyes open).
- Forgetfulness (well not sure if that's a symptom or if it's just me .. lol)
- When talking I can't seem to "find the right word to say" (my wife hates it because sometimes it takes me awhile to finish my sentences / thought)
- Numbness / Tingling in my left foot and toes as well as in my left hand and fingers.
- When standing (after sitting or crouching) I'll have a really bad head rush
- Uncontrollable twitches / jerks in both arms and legs during the day & while sleeping. Any increase in activity causes an increase in the number and severity of twitches I have.
- HORRIBLE nasal allergies & dry eyes (not sure if these are applicable).

I had a consultation with my 3rd Neurosurgeon and after taking addition xrays to my cervical, thoracic, and lumbar MRIs and after completing a physical exam he ruled out my spine as to what is causing my pain. He believes that it is more musoskelatal and said it could well be fibromyalgia.

He prescribed me Lyrica at 150 mg twice a day. After taking it for a few days I feel as if a cloud has been lifted from over my eyes. My mental state seems to be close to what it was before all this started. I has affected my pain level by keeping the burning pain at bay, but I still have pretty bad stabbing pains between the shoulder blades and the same pain in my lower back / hips.

Should I ask for a higher mg of Lyrica, see about taking more frequently, or ask about increasing my pain meds. I'm presently taking Opana ER 20 mg (1 am 1 pm); Opana 10 mg (1 every 6 hours).

I'm just tired of not being able to do what I want to do. If I was able to reduce my pain then I can "tinker" in the garage and do a little wood working, but as of now I can only do a little house work before I hurt to bad and have to quit.

All I've got to say is I'm frustrated and this SUCKS!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
(female)

Wootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB UserWootton HB User
Re: Lyrica: How did it affect your symptoms?

Welcome F15, sorry you have to be here at all, but you've come to the right place. Everyone's symptoms of fibromyalgia mimic one or two or more other disorders. That's why a good doctor will run every test on you so that they can eliminate the possible reasons one by one. When they run out of ailments, syndromes, diseases, etc., the collection of symptoms you have usually fits into the fibromyalgia slot. I see a lot of mine in your list and I'm sure others do too. But that's not what you're after.

Lyrica. You say "I feel as if a cloud has been lifted from over my eyes. My mental state seems to be close to what it was before all this started." I couldn't have said it better. I've been on Lyrica now for less than 3 weeks and that was my initial impression of it too ... well, that and constipation, and if you have that, get it under control, quickly.

In my case,Lyrica is just another drug that my doctor has added to my personal pharmacy over the past year; one drug after another to help this or that aspect of fibro. But my mental alertness was always on the fuzzy side, and Lyrica's done wonders for that aspect - since I still work its also fortunate.

I know its been a short time since I've been on it, but at this point I can say that its done nothing specifically for pain

There's lots of other people who can chime in here and I'm sure they will and will offer their own personal experiences with Lyrica.

Again, welcome to you.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi F150, welcome, and yes, Lyrica has helped me immensely. I have been on it for 3 years. When going on it, you have to taper up to the strength you need to be on, so be patient. I went up to 300mg which was good for me, but after a year on that strength, I had to taper down as it was affecting my feet. So now I am on 75mg a day, along with cymbalta, topamax and flexeril, I am a pill factory, but let me tell you, it all helps me so much. I spent 15 years trying to find out what was wrong with me, it drove me and my husband crazy. I am going to pain management, and I do not take any opiates, nothing stronger than ibuprofen 800mg. I am very thankful for Lyrica and Cymbalta together. Hang in there.

Sunny

Old 04-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

I still have not noticed a miracle cure for the intense pain that I have, but the major affect I've seen from the Lyrica is: Clearing up the foggyness. I am taking 300 mg (over the course of the day) and it is working as well as the 800 mg Neurontin did for the intense burning pain I experience between both shoulder blades & my low back / hip area.

Does it take a while for it to build up in your system before you see MAJOR changes to your pain level?

I am just wondering, because presently the pain coverage I have typically keeps it around a 3-3.5, BUT anytime I try to do something it rapidly causes my pain level to raise. If I do mild house work (clean dishes / pick clutter up) it'll raise to 4-4.5; moderate house work (clean sinks, toliets, showers or tubs) it'll raise to 5-6; intense house work (vaccuum / laundry / wash dogs) it'll raise to 5-7, which I normally am unable to do. Granted I am not able to all of those things at one time, but each separately does it's own bit of damage.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
(male)

lifesucksinpain HB User
Unhappy Re: Lyrica: How did it affect your symptoms?

when that stuff builds up in my system, all those...symbalta lyrica neurontin, is bad news for me. violent puking, weightloss, and i had a seizure on it!!! i did not know what had actually happened till years later talking with a friend that he said, man thats not an out of body experience, that sounds like a seizure. ive tried the whole list of those kind of meds for my nerve and actual pain. i have a small nerve fiber myopathy, herniated disk thorassic, fibromyalgia, and sciatic. from multiple 20" biking injuries untreated over the years. to b perfectly honest opiates seem to coat something and i can actually move almost normally to those who dont know me. i need to recover afterwards though. no one sees that. but with opiates comes sedation. im off phentanyl for a year and notice more energy again but intolerable shoot urself pain. spasms that hurt so much u puke, never are hungry etc... so id rather b on opiates but im so young at 28 that no one will give me ****! and i would rather die than go back to that list like lyrica. Hope this helps. c ya

Old 05-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

Ishla HB User

I am so happy that Lyrica is helping you. And I've heard that yes, you do have to take it for some time ( 6 weeks or so ) before you can really see the full benefits it gives to folks who can take it.

I can't take it. It makes my pain beyond unbearable, causes swelling in the extremities, and because I took it for just over a month, I believe it made my symptoms worse. It caused the ligaments in several places to become stiff and almost brittle feeling. Before taking it, I rarely had problems with my neck, but now, and since that horrific experiment for me.... I have a constant stiffness in my neck, and periodic swelling of the back of my neck and skull. I'm so happy you can take it... but I will never take Lyrica ever again.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
(male)

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I intend on respond longer, but I've been on vacation for the past week to week and a half and my Internet on my phone isn't that reliable where I'm at. So again thanks for responding!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
(male)

Well .. That sucks that it may take that long to see major benefits. More than likely I'll have Savella added to my pharmacy. I told the doctor that the meds I'm on now make my pain tolerable, but I'm not able to do alot of things. My dr said narcotics won't significantly help reduce the pain so he'll probably try Savella to see if it helps. My most recent appointment has drawn the question of how helpful is pain meds? If narcotics don't help then why if I stop taking them I'm not able to get outta bed?

Any thoughts? I'll be creating another post on the pain med question.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #9
(female)

j2s2 HB User

I'm not a firm believer of Lyrica, I have been on it now for over a year. I currently take two at night 75mg. It has helped me sleep, but that's about all. I think it has helped me manage my pain, but it hasn't taken the pain away completely. I still have bad days when I don't even feel like getting out of the house because of pain and fatigue.

All i know is I remember what it felt like when I wasn't taking the med and I don't want to go back to that feeling. So, I keep taking it. I wish I could be med free wouldn't that be nice. I sit now with pain along my shoulders, in my hips and legs and I know it will get worse as the day goes on. Had a horribly busy day at work yesterday and I'm feeling the effects of it today for sure, but I keep plugging along. Saturday will be here soon enough.

Good luck to those taking lyrica. Its not a cure all drug but it does help some. I suffer from constipation and diareaha could that be something related to lyrica?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
(female)

NAPPSIE HB User

Lyrica has helped me tons...but I still have pain and still have very bad days.

Closed Thread