It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Anybody Just Come Off Everything... Including Docs!?!

Anybody ever just decide to quit taking all of it? How'd that work for you?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Anybody Just Come Off Everything... Including Docs!?!

hi girl,
i have done it several times just to get real with me and see how i am. taper off the drugs that are cummulative. quit doc's? yea, more than once. i'd rather do without than deal with a turkey poop.
for now i am with a cool team of docs but that took years to get together.
sometimes it is good to stop and take stock of self. how do i feel drug free? how do i feel knowing i fired that doctor? there were times i felt better drug free and times i felt worse. depends on everthing and nothing, ya know? it's fibro, no predicting it.
if you need to dump whatever experience led to this i have big shoulders and will be most honored to share the load.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Yes, baserockermom I have quit my meds for fibro and tried to do without them. I have quit some docs, that is for sure. I have not been able to do without the meds, I find my quality of life is more important to me than quanity at this point.

Glojer

Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

1chris1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baserockermom View Post
Anybody ever just decide to quit taking all of it? How'd that work for you?
Hi I am not brave enough to try all medicines at once, So dropping them one at a time is my plan. I am trying to wean off my Cymbalta first and have not been successful. I lowered the dosage and then took them every other day. I am more fatigued and irritable when I try it this way. I have also tried to go cold turkey which is not recommended by all physicians. After two weeks I was in incredible pain and very nauseated. I will still keep trying and let you know if I am successful. Good luck to you. Oh and I dont have Health care coverage and I use the low income clinics Which means different doctors and I haven't found one very informed about Fibro.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Sort of. I have sort of given up on western style medicine for my lower back pain and for my thyroid. I am seeing a naturopath now and feel so much more comfortable with my ND than I did with my old OD. My old doc just wanted to prescribe pills and get me in and out of his office in 15 minutes. New doc spends over an hour per visit with me, and is going to treat the root of my problems and not the symptoms. I'll still see a normal doc if I get, say, strep throat and need antibiotics. But for this other stuff I want a doctor who is going to treat cause and not symptom, and my other doctors have not done that.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Eagleriver, I think I'm getting to where you are. What kind of a naturopath doc and how did you find them and do they cost more? Bluelake I want to find a support system like you but I think you must have to have your personality to pull it off--I'll just have to work harder at faking being you. I had one nurse practioner that would work WITH ME without getting offending I had a brain or a question, but she's gone. I think when I go in there these days it must just be written all over my face the disgust I feel for all of it. I mean, we cannot cook meat in the house without it laying me out. I have three men-sized guys in this house, not to mention all the friends that float in and out... no meat is a REAL problem.

I was tapered almost everything before this latest mess. I've been put on so much medicines in the last four months. I'd hate not to be without insurance but the part where no doc gets to know you enough to hate when you walk in the door has to feel good. Thanks y'all.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

you can do it. my mom even gets mad at me sometimes for being so happy all the time. she has age pains and cannot imagine being me and being happy about it. i carry my joy always out where it can be seen. i do have a tone, my mommy tone i use on docs who don't behave. it drips with honey and venom at the same time.
i started out pretending to be this me and now i am her.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 04-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
(female)

jisduit HB User

I stopped all meds all at once - canceled doc apts and even stoped reading the message boards - had to get my but away from the computer - started vitamins and exercise and getting out more - WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!

I take my ambien only as needed now - not every night - works out to about 3 times a month. My anxiety meds - only take them during stressfull times - supposed to take it 3 times a day - now its about 5 per month. I dont take any of the morphine anymore but have it just in case. There are days that I am in alot of pain - days that I use a cane and days that I lay down in the middle of the day - but those days are fewer being off all the drugs. I do recommend talking to your doc first - I didnt and it wasnt a pleasant few weeks.

best of luck
Meds: Morphine, Ambien, Klonopin, Elavil, Omeprazole, Vit D

Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by baserockermom View Post
Eagleriver, I think I'm getting to where you are. What kind of a naturopath doc and how did you find them and do they cost more?
In my community we've got a local advertising booklet that gets mailed out once a month. My naturopath advertised there. For some reason, I just felt like I ought to try it. It took me several months of mulling it over, and a bit of research, and finally I decided to give it a shot.

I'm tired of doctors that look at my pain issues and either hand me pills or decide I'm looking for pills. I don't want pills. I have bottles of painkillers at home that I don't take and what I really want is for the cause of my back pain to be resolved.

With my thyroid, I had classic symptoms of hypothyroid and my GP would not even test my blood at my request. He flat out refused, even when I said I would pay for the test out of pocket. Another doctor test me at his own suggestion (I hadn't brought it up) and found out I was hypo. Well, lo and behold my GP was on the phone with me the next week insisting I come down and get put on meds! (The other doc had sent my GP copies of my tests.) Well- my attitude was NO WAY. If my GP wasn't sharp enough to know I needed the test to begin with, I'm not going to trust him to treat my condition now.

That was when I decided to try a Naturopath. I want to treat the root causes of my health problems, not just treat the symptoms.

My very first visit with my Naturopath, I felt more comfortable with her than with my GP. She spent over an hour interviewing me, and another doing a physical exam. My second visit was yesterday and she did a blood draw to run some additional tests on my thyroid and then a round of acupuncture (a first for me) for my back pain.

Look for Naturopaths in your area. There are organizations that have listings.

EDIT: Oh, as to cost- not too awful bad- I'd say comparable to a GP. My initial visit, which lasted 2 hours was $330. We billed that to insurance and will see if they cover any of it, as the office my doctor is in is a family practice. The blood draw was $34, and the acupuncture was $108. I paid for the acupuncture out of pocket because I'm pretty sure my insurance won't cover that.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added cost info

Old 05-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I did stop all of my meds for a couple of weeks, more out of necessity than curiosity. I had an upper respiratory infection and unfortunately, I have trouble with a lot of medications and am restricted in using just any over the counter meds. I experienced vomiting up my meds when taking Mucinex as was recommended by my doctor and was only taking half a pill at a time. I tried several doses with food, without food, before my normal meds, after my meds, etc and nothing worked. So I knew that I was fighting a losing battle to keep trying with my normal meds. I stayed off them for a couple of weeks until I got over the respiratory ailment and got my doctor's advice on adding them back. To tell you the truth, I could not tell one bit of difference without the meds. I did start them all back as I do have Lupus and FMS and I do know that I have felt overall better on the Lupus meds than without them as far as my FMS symptoms figure into the equation. Strange though, I did tell my Rheumatologist about my feeling better even though I had discontinued the meds temporarily, and he just passed it off.

So yes, I have tried to leave them off, but on his advice, I have started them back as he prescribed. Strange, don't you think?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

goldy,
just because he scripts them does not mean you have to take them. it is your body. you decide what goes in and what does not. you can always change your mind.
peace,
blue

Old 05-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB UserBelleoftheSouth HB User

bluelakelady is right on...If I'm not liking how I feel on a med I go off..

I have tried a couple of time to go 'cold turkey' and I then totally went back on what helped.

Some meds I'll be on for life whether I like it or not...

~Belle~

Old 05-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

HI Goldy - do you know why he wanted you to start taking them again?? I've only ever taken amityriplinin (sp!!??) - I took it for 4 weeks - hated the way it made me feel (like a zombie/palpatations/hungover!!!) even though it helped with my sleep - went to the drs and told them I was coming off it - asked for natural alternatives of which they knew none!!!! - so went to see the pharmasist who helped me choose natural remedies and have slept well since. Sleep is for me a real help - since then I take on occasion the odd over the counter pain killer but prefer natural stuff - and put up with the pain as best as I can - storms here at the moment so in a flair - YUK!! The storms though will pass as will the flair...

Old 05-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I know that medication use is highly controversial. I have to admit that I have been better overall since beginning treatment for Lupus by this rheumatologist. I am only on 2 meds for the Lupus, which is Plaquenil, Vit D, but I take Zanaflex at night as I have had a long history with rest issues and this is the best results I have had consistently. I thank the good Lord for that. I really think that since it takes time to build up most of these in your system, that I was probably okay to leave off temporarily. I know that my constant aches and pains, trigger points (attribute to FMS) are much better on this regimen than any thing I was given for FMS only, so I will stick with it as long as I don't regress. I do have daily aches and pains from the Lupus but it is a different experience and I can manage without having to take tranquilizers (which did the opposite in me) and heavy duty pain meds. I rather be able to be alert, which I am so much more so on this regimen. I could have just had a remission at that time, and I did ask about the temporary improvement and the fact that I was on Mucinex which is guifenesin only. I know that I have read reports of some with FMS having good results on a guifenisen protocol. Could be coincidence, though. The doctor did not have much faith in that protocol, but it does make me wonder. I am limited to taking the guifenisen only prep as I do have heart problems that causes some problems, and then I can only take half-strength. It did make me wonder. I have total confidence in thie rheumatologist, as he has helped me more than any doctor I have ever seen since the onset of my problems. I think for now I will stick to his recommendations.

Quick note: I do have to be extremely careful of any herbal, or natural alternative meds as I had colon polyps as a young adult and the type I had are frequently seen in those using those type of medicinal preps. I was advised to stay away from those due to the biopsy report. Thanks all for your thoughts.

Last edited by goldyfm; 05-01-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

Closed Thread