It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User
Hey! What is your funniest FMS doctor's appointment?

Since there is a lot of talk about doctors who have failed you, are there any funny stories about doctors you want to talk about?? I need to laugh!

I can't say that I have a funny story. But, what I do find funny is that I usually know more than the doctors know about FMS (other than my actual FMS doctor). I'm talking about the GP and cardio guy for instance. Actually, maybe that isn't so funny

Kirstee

Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Hey! What is your funniest FMS doctor's appointment?

Yes, some doctors are insulted by a patient's knowledge. I have seen a few of those in my lifetime.

Not a FMS doctor, but I do have a funny story. I returned for a 6 week checkup after my hysterectomy and as we had a pool, I was anxious to see when I could go in the pool. So I asked my doctor of 20+ years if I was okay to swim, he replied, "Sure you can do about 20 laps for me." I laughed and confessed "That's great, I never could swim before!" He got a big laugh.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i had cataract surgery 6 years ago. the surgeon was stumped about the changes after the surgery to my eyes. i said it's fibro. he said no way! so i got all my info over the weekend and was ready to fire away when i saw him next. he came in and said, it's fibro, i can't believe it! this is amazing. i looked it up on the internet and you are right. then he goes looking around my eyes and tripping on how fast fibro is affecting the membrane behind the implants. had to have laser surgery on both eyes. he and i still laugh once a year when i go in. he is facinated with my eyes and now fibro too.
peace,
blue

Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Yeah, Blue; I know what you mean. My prescription changes every year, and the doc just shakes his head and marvels. I haven't bothered to tell them this is a common problem with FMS.

Kirstee

Old 05-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

My funniest fibro experience with a Dr. was in February. I went to my nero surgeon with pain in neck and down arm. I had a cervical laminectimy two years ago and re-herniated the disc. The Dr. said I needed another operation. I said "no way. Last time you operated on me you gave me fibromyalgia". He responded with "Yes, I know. I put it in there on purpose so I can operate on you again to take it out". It didn't work!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

I am alittle confused....how does fibro affect the eyes? Back in 2002 and 2004 I had cataract surgery and everything was great. Within 9 months of being diagnoised with fibro I had to have the laser surgery on both eyes...Where I look under to find this information?

Thank you
Johna

Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unbelievable response! I'm sure he thought he was being funny (which actually was the point of my post in the first place). Thanks for sharing.

Kirstee

Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
(female)

chicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB User

I didn't know fibro affected the eyes! More info? I always thought my blurry, changing vision was either from always trying new meds or from migraines.

My 2 funny stories: First, I went to get an injection in my head when my daughter was an infant. I had a terrible knot in my head, causing me a headache. I was breastfeeding, and I said, "This won't go into the breast milk will it?" The dr. said, "You're not getting a shot in your breast, are you?"
My other one: I put on a topical pain ansethetic cream on my tailbone and went to bed. Unfortunately, the cream caused a skin burn from lying on it! I had NO idea though what it was when I saw the red sore on my butt. I had forgotten about the cream, and I went to the dr, thinking for sure I had lupus or something with sores on me. He said "I don't know what it is! It looks like a burn!" Duh! I was so embarrassed that I burned my own butt.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chicabella - 2 funny! No more of that stuff on your rump!

Regarding the changes in eyeglass prescriptions, here is your answer:

People with FMS experience extra water loads in the lens of the eye when excess calcium phosphate enters the eye. This makes the lens thicken, causing the focal point to alter. This will cause temporary nearsightedness. Eventually the calcium phosphate ions are sucked out of the eye which causes the lens to flatten to a more far-sighted state. The ever-changing lens thickness causes blurring which makes it hard to maintain focus.

Kirstee

Old 06-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
(female)

chicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB User

Thank you for that explanation! I will have to tell my optometrist. Do you have any experience with the best time or circumstances to get an eye exam? Is there any way to control it in order to get an eye exam?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chicabella:

I don't worry about it because there is no way to predict how the eyes will be before you go for an eye exam. I just get new prescriptions each time - kind of expensive but oh well.

Kirstee

Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
(female)

jessmari HB User

Thru all of my doctor adventures, i decided to go to a endocrynologist, just to rule out anything with any glands in my body, since I have tried every other route. So after going on and on about ALL my symptoms (you all know how many there are) He just kept writing and writing and then looked up at me and said "well, none of this has anything to do with me" And i just said "ok"

Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The first rheumatologist I went to did a tender point exam, read my test results, diagnosed FMS, and prescribed Celebrex. Did not mention exercise, lifestyle modifications, or any other possible drug treatments. Twelve hours later, I broke out in hives. I called him at the first opportunity, kind of upset because he'd made it sound like that drug was my only treatment option. He just told me to take Advil instead.

A month later, I was back for a follow-up. He tried to prescribe the Celebrex again! I said, "I'm allergic to that."

He said, "Oh. You should tell me these things."

I said, "Bye-bye!"

Old 06-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessmari & Janewhite:

OMG What is wrong with these people. This sort of story isn't even okay, let alone funny. I am so sorry to hear you had these horrible encounters. (but I did laugh kinda, sorta, because i know what it's like)

Keep Truckin'!

Kirstee

Closed Thread