It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User
How helpful is narcotic pain medication on your FM symptoms

Hi all. The reason why I'm posting this is because (as stated in another post). That my pain management doc believes that "if you have FM that he could throw every type of narcotic pain med (including an IV of morphine) and it wouldn't help reduce the FM symptoms unless they put me in a medication induced coma" (on purpose). That is almost verbatim from my doc. All I have got to say is, "If narcotics don't help then why if I stop taking them I'm not able to get out of bed"?

I switched PM docs because my first was unprofessional during a trigger point injection and my wife and I felt it was in my best interest to switch (the unprofessionalism was bad enough that my wife filed a complaint with the medical board in TX). My present PM doc felt I was on too much pain meds and put me on Opana 20 mg (1 am & 1 pm); Opana 10 mg (1 every 6 hrs). I'm also taking Lyrica 300 mg (150 am & 150 pm); Cymbalta 60 mg; Baclofen 10 mg (1 every 4 hours). Presently that keeps my pain level tolerable, but if I try doing house work or go shopping my pain level increases.

My PM doc has said that he'll probably want to try Savella to see if it helps, but from how he sounded that if it doesn't "drastically" improve my pain level that he isn't going to be doing anything else. I thought the job of a PM doc was to help reduce the pain symptoms to improve the patients quality of life. I know that I'm going to have to live with pain for the rest of my life, but I feel there is a difference in having normal daily aches / pain & what I'm presently feeling. I'm willing to try different things (physical therapy, massage therapy, stretches, & ect), but if at my present state I can't do that then don't you think something should be done?

What do you all think? What has been your experience? Should I try to find a different PM doctor?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
(female)

dcarbs HB User
Re: How helpful is narcotic pain medication on your FM symptoms

I'm in Australia and I see a pain rheumatologist. I'm on pristig twice a day, clonazepam 1mg at night. panadeine forte for my pain---this knocks me out but I still wake up in pain. Lyrica has been suggested but it is too expensive for me to use. It seeem as if everyone has issues with their medications. It's been suggested to me to attend a chiropractor to help my pain, I am starting that tomorrow.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i take no meds for fibro pain. nothing helps. my pain doc has fibro. we both agree there is no way to fix something when you don't know how it got broke to begin with or how it stays broke no matter what you do. being a zombie on drugs is not an option for me. won't go there. for some there are drugs that help ease the harsh reality of fibro. mostly those make me feel crappy so i see no reason to keep trying each new pill that comes along.
i just breath slow and deep when it gets rough. been at it for years so i am used to being in pain. you do get used to it. weird as that sounds. i can take alot more than i ever thought i could and still be happy.
peace,
blue

Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i forgot to say i have weekly massages. they do help, along with exercise, even if it's just short walks around my yard every half hour. 5 minutes up counts as exercise in my world. giggle
peace,
blue

Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
(female)

cherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I have had fibro for 10 years. I have been on pain meds for same 10 years but have changed what I use during those years. Now on Oxycotin together with morphine sulfate. Of course your body gets use to the meds and you have to increase. I decided to decrease my pain meds in half over a 3 month period because I think they were making the pain even worse. So I did this during a period when I was not in a flair. Went thru a little withdrawal but now I think the pain meds are working better. I do not know what I would do without the pain meds. They definitely help especially the morning. I was on Cymbalta but that did nothing for the pain. I used it for depression. Be careful when you decide to ever go off of it. I had the worst withdrawals. I cant beleive the withdraw symptoms. I was going out of my mind. It took 3 month finally not do have any symptoms. I got this zapping in my head that was excrutiating.
Lyrica never worked for me. I would look for a PM doctor who is willing to work with you. I found mine 8 years ago and he is wonderful. He believes in my pain and helps me anyway he can. I also have spinal stenosis and he gives me injections in my back that are extemely helpful.He actually is a Physiatrist. Physical and Pain Management doctor.
My husband left me 4 1/2 years ago because of this illness. I own a business with him and at least I dont have to work full time or I work in the house.I could not work a full time or part time job. I was not on the books before and started when he left me so if I needed to go on disability I would be able to if they would accept this as a disability. He left because I could not satisfy him sexually. I am starting to date again and really afraid if I find someone what will happen. Well good luck and glad you have support of your wife
Cheryl

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: cherdox57
HaileySunshine (11-19-2010), jessupl (01-09-2012), kyeotp (01-08-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to cherdox57 For This Useful Post:
kyeotp (01-08-2012)
Old 05-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

Ok, from my limited research I think panadeine forte is hydrocodone .. Not 100% sure though .. I'm really sorry what you both have gone through.

Cheryl, I hope you find someone that is actually a man, because the vows stated through sickness and in health .. I have learned that in order to have a successful marriage that sex isn't everything. If I was never able to experience that again (ie she is unable to perform in the bedroom olympics .. lol) that I'd remain with her. All I know is her support is my primary source of satisfaction.

Blue, I know what you mean. Some meds made me "icky," but the most effective was oxycodone and oxycontin. I like that the opana lasts longer, but I feel it helps pain in different ways and is not AS effective. It is good though your doctor actually knows what your going through. I wished I could find a PM doc with it in North Texas area.

I started taking 5/500 (1 every 4 hours) for about 2-3 months and it didn't really help to much. When I told my doctor he bumped me to 7.5/325 (1 every 4 hours) and that made the (continually growing worse) pain bearable. When I was finally tired of it I requested to be referred to a pain management (PM) doctor. He (in my opinion) over prescribed, which in all honesty I didn't mind because my pain was more bearable. I switched PM doctors and am on what I am on now, but because I was on strong medications he changed the type and reduced me to what I'm on now. It took two months for him to stair step my medication to what I'm on now, but like I said before if I want to live my life as a 28 year old finance degree holding couch potato then fine, but I'd like to:

- Get out and go places with my wife.
- Actually use my degree and not let it waste.
- Positively contribute (I know no man will ever admit this ... lol) to the house work.
- Use what I have been blessed with and continue my woodworking side business instead of them going to waste (over the past 6-7 years I've spent close to $7,000 on tools and my wife bought me a 30x30 workshop for my birthday, anniversary, Christmas gift (for the next 8-100 years .. lol) for $11,000).
- Finally, have relations (you know what I mean .. wink .. wink) with my wife of close to 7 years without it immediately causing severe pain and pain lasting for more than 1-2 days afterwards. It's kinda hard to enjoy when your consciously trying to make sure your face doesn't show pain.

I know I'm rolling in self pitty, because I will whole heartidly admit that it could be worse or other people are in more pain than myself. I know this, but until I find the new me, life for my wife and I is going to be hard. Luckily, (and I thank God every day) that I have an understanding wife that is compassionate about my pain, but I know she truely does not understand or know what I'm going through.

Anyway, so in my "expert" (I actually grinned / chuckled when typing that .. lol) I feel that narcotics or opioid pain killers are beneficial to those suffering with FM. It may take a higher dosage to get relief, but doctors SHOULD help us pain sufferers so we may have a higher quality of life. I know this may sound bad, but I'd rather live with the dependence of my medication than not be able to live the life God has blessed me with.

I really should post from my pc because this kills my cell battery life .. lol

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F150STX For This Useful Post:
kimmi6pac (07-24-2012), MommaLK (09-04-2012), Mstonya471 (06-15-2012)
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Find a pain mgmt doc that treats fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain with trigger point injections and/or physical therapy. The doctor will ask you your pain level when you visit and how the therapy is working. If you are having pain and have been treated then yes, percocet or vicoden will help your pain. there are days when i cannot get out of bed without it. The pain is intolerable for me. The downside, dependence--only take as needed not every 4 or 5 hours. And acute and i mean acute constipation. Definitely take stool softeners if you use opiates. I have been on percocet for 5 years since onset of my fms and cmp. My pcp doesn't treat me anymore. my pcp is my rheumy and my pain mgmt doc. my rheumy gives me flexeril 10 mg and ultram (which also causes dependence--if you want proof, check out the addiction board) If you stop these meds without tapering you will be in a world of pain. This i know from experience. So there are up and downsides to using opiates. I don't know anything about patches. I hope you find relief soon.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelakelady View Post
i take no meds for fibro pain. nothing helps. my pain doc has fibro. we both agree there is no way to fix something when you don't know how it got broke to begin with or how it stays broke no matter what you do. being a zombie on drugs is not an option for me. won't go there. for some there are drugs that help ease the harsh reality of fibro. mostly those make me feel crappy so i see no reason to keep trying each new pill that comes along.
i just breath slow and deep when it gets rough. been at it for years so i am used to being in pain. you do get used to it. weird as that sounds. i can take alot more than i ever thought i could and still be happy.
peace,
blue
I take percocet and it doesn't make me a "zombie on drugs" or mean that i'm in denial about having fibro. If you choose to live and try to thrive w/o meds that is your option but you have a judgemental tone towards those of us that want to do more than just walk around the yard a few times a day.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

I have been on Clonazepam twice a day. its a pill that dissolves on my tongue. its a anxiety pill BUT it focuses on the CNS and since fibro affects the CNS this med kinda helps for pain. its meant to send a "calming" feeling to your nervous system.

I have found that it does help with my pain some..makes it tons more tolerable BUT it doesnt help when im in a flare.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
(female)

rakey1764 HB User

I have been investigating this whole fibromyalgia thing and from what I understand it is not real. I found claims that fibromyalgia is really just a deficiency of Vitamin D3, calcium and magnesium. I started taking them and I am now symptom free and very thankful that I didn't fall for the fibromyalgia diagnosis that I was handed. I am sleeping painfree and living painfree and life is good again!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

No, no narcotic has ever helped. Most have made me itch, get nauseous, and feel like a weight is on my chest. None of them have ever touched the pain.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Due to a stomach condition, I can no longer take NSAIDS, Tylenol, muscle relaxants, or antispasmodics. I'm lucky in that my FM is mild and about 29 days out of 30 my pain remains at 4 out of 10 or below almost all day.

On the other days, when it goes up to a 6 or 7 and stays there? 2 mg of hydromorphone relieves it without noticeable side effects.

Of course, I don't have any right now, but whatever.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
(female)

cherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB Usercherdox57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakey1764 View Post
I have been investigating this whole fibromyalgia thing and from what I understand it is not real. A website that I found claims that fibromyalgia is really just a deficiency of Vitamin D3, calcium and magnesium. I started taking the dosages that this website suggested and I am now symptom free and very thankful that I didn't fall for the fibromyalgia diagnosis that I was handed. I am sleeping painfree and living painfree and life is good again!
How can you say fibromyalgia is not real. You remind me of some of my early doctors that said it was in my head. I dont know what site you went on but there are numerous sites that state it is now an auto immune disease recognized by doctors and they are trying to figure out why and how to treat it. If the vitamins help you good for you. I have gone that route and many others. Lyirca is a drug advertised on TV for this illness. Many of us have tried it and does not work but for some it does. What works for one does not work for another unfortunately. But I have to use pain meds to get thru the day and function. Please do not say that it is not real. I have had 10 years of reality.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cherdox57 For This Useful Post:
dcarbs (06-14-2011), Mstonya471 (06-15-2012)
Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Magnesium helps me immensely too. so does malic acid. I also sleep well most of the time. But I have painful fibromyalgia flares. You might have flares too, so don't be so quick to judge.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: quote of an edited post

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I would look for a new pain management doctor. I also go to a physiatrist who does pain management. I take Lyrica, 75mg 3x a day, 30 mg of Cymbalta at night, and Savella 50 mg 2x a day. As you said it makes the pain tolerable. I have hydrocodone for break through pain when I need it occasionally. It is a narcotic which helps me.

You may want to try more natural alternatives too. I also take fish oil, magnesium, and good vitamins. I go to water aerobics 2x per week and get a monthly massage. Also I try to limit sugar, caffeine and alcohol. Also a good night's sleep goes a long way to help ensure a low pain day.

Blessings,
Pam

Closed Thread