It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

SurgChickie HB User
Angry Anyone had Lap-Band or Gastric Bypass with FM? (Or Unable to Take NSAIDs)

I had the Realize gastric band put in place in Nov & now I am unable to take NSAIDs. The pain has been almost unbearable recently. I have been in bed all day. Luckily I was off work since I worked on call last night.. I am curious if anyone else has had the same problem or any tips?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Anyone had Lap-Band or Gastric Bypass with FM? (Or Unable to Take NSAIDs)

I have NSAID-induced gastritis which just never healed. There are very few oral medicines I can take without irritating my stomach severely. Right now, I'm on nortriptyline only.

Have you considered topical pain relievers? I would never get any sleep if it weren't for my IcyHot, spread generously over my back, shoulders and hips right before bed. If that isn't strong enough, they also make NSAID gels, which do not irritate the stomach. I use Voltaren for my bad knee. And, if your pain is worst in small areas, you could try a lidocaine patch. Lidocaine and NSAID gels are available by prescription only in the US, but it's something you could ask your doctor about.

I've also used muscle relaxants to good effect. Right now, I'm only taking my tricyclic, though. Does tylenol do anything for you? It's usually easier on the stomach than stuff like Advil.

And, of course, life would be so much worse without my daily yoga routine and visits to my massage therapist every week or two. The cost of the massages and the gym membership does add up after a while, but if it keeps me healthy enough to keep working, it's worth the price.

It is harder to manage FM without oral medicines, but it's not impossible. Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
(female)

SurgChickie HB User

Thanks!! I didnt realize they made NSAID gels! I use Biofreeze and it helps some, but it isnt touching this. tylenol helps some things, like a mild headache, but istnt helping this pain. I take Flexeril or Robaxin on a regular basis as well. Thanks again!

Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

After successful use of NSAID's following an ACDF of cervical spine for a number of years, I developed chronic pain, and diarrhea that was crippling my life. It was discovered that NSAID use had destroyed the villi (key to absorption) of the small intestines. My GI tract was in effect not doing what it should and was irritated by the simple act of eating. I also became Lactose Intolerant due to the damage that NSAID had done. It took about a year of babying my GI tract to overcome the damage and for the GI tract to return to some normal functioning. I know firsthand how destructive those meds can be. I also have multiple medication issues and am limited to oral meds for pain relief. I try to use topicals, heat, warm baths, to control pain but it is tough to overcome at times. I know how you feel.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, they make NSAID gels. Voltaren is the most common. Fair warning, a 100-gram tube runs me about $35. Aspercreme is aspirin in a creme, it's over the counter and much much cheaper, but I find the Voltaren is more effective.

Being as Voltaren and straight uncompounded narcotics are the only pain treatments I can take these days, my doctor writes me all the Voltaren scripts a girl could want.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
(female)

SurgChickie HB User

Thanks so much! I am very lucky, as the hospital I work for is self-insured for the most part & our Rx drugs are super cheap if I use the hospital pharmacy.

goldyfm, WOW! I am sorry to hear you terrible issues! I hope the fusion worked at least! I knew it could cause GI issues, but had no idea to what extent. I was about to take some Aleve but Id rather not eat through my pouch, as it is irritated already from the band being too tight. I had to have some saline removed this week.

Closed Thread