It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
(male)

MeatLocker HB User
Fibro and being a competitive powerlifter/strongman

I know, it doesn't even sound feasible. After reading everyone else's posts all day it barely makes sense to me. I'll explain.

I'm actually a competitive powerlifter and strongman and my Doctor is certain that I suffer from Fibro. I'm 32 y/o 6'4" 320lbs? I practically live in a gym. I thought only 140lb soccer moms got this crap. About 5 years ago, 2005, I was first prescribed Lyrica at 400mgs a day. It was great, I was active again and I started training again for the first time since 2002(2 knee and ankle surgeries). Everything was great, until I started getting confused all the time and couldn't remember jack.

So, I go see a Psychiatrist and he says I have ADHD and puts me on Adderall for the ADHD and Xanax for the nervousness it caused me. I ran this course for 2 years before I decided to detox myself from that crap because my dosages had gotten way out of hand. It took 4 months to detox MYSELF in my apartment, but I did it with the help of my wonderful and supportive wife.

I couldn't understand the pain that I was having after these 4 months, I had stopped training for 10 months as well. I finally went to my doc 1 year ago and he said I had Fibro and wrote me a script for Lyrica again. Go figure. Within 3 days my pain had been cut by 60%, first thing I did? I started training again.

Even with my 600mg a day dose of Lyrica, if I don't lift, I ache and I ache horribly bad. I took 3 weeks off in March when my little boy was born. I was bitchy, in pain, and could barely get out of bed to change a diaper. I go to the doc, he writes me a script for Hydrocodone and I go home take one and that helps me to get out of bed and to the gym. I train my butt off, I go home take one more and go to bed. Wake up the next morning and I am back to normal.

I have found that if I do not train (lift weights) I am in agony... So, this is how or why I train heavy, hard, and long.

I take Lyrica, no narcotics. I have at minimum 10 bottles of propoxy/hydro/oxycodone and I won't use them.

My biggest problem now is ADHD or Fibro Fog or whatever. I can't concentrate... I barely squeaked by my classes this semester. I practically drink 6-8 sugar-free RedBull's a day just to get motivated to train. I have to take my Calculus II class over next semester because I can't remember any of it! This causes and amplifies my anxiety through the roof. I get irritated, because I can't even hold a intelligent conversation anymore. I feel like everyone is talking down to me.

I really don't know what type of MD I need to go and see. My wife made an appointment for me to go and see a Psychiatrist again for ADHD, but I'm not sure that is what I need.

This is the first time I have posted, so I am not sure how this works. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Fibro and being a competitive powerlifter/strongman

A few thoughts:

1) Three cheers for you, and every day you go back to that gym!

2) I also find that it's very important for me to exercise, though I have to be somewhat careful about what kind and how much.

3)Could your mental confusion be a side effect of the Lyrica? From your post, it kinda sounds like you only have that problem while you are taking it.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
(male)

MeatLocker HB User

I've thought the same thing, but its the only medication that has helped me in 12 years. I would hate to have to go backwards by going off the Lyrica. It seems every time I get ahead in my sport, something happens. As soon as I stop taking it, my back starts cramping, my skin is on fire, my joints hurt to bend, snd I have a hard time getting out of bed.

My wife is so against me going off my Lyrica, hell she says it saved our marriage. But, don't get me wrong I'm absolutely confused when not taking Lyrica, actually worse, but it goes away for awhile. But, the last 3-4 months it has come back, so that's why I'm guessing its Fibro Fog.

So, I guess I would like to know what everyone does for this?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

First, as one male to another male I know how you feel. I haven't been diagnosed yet, because my doctor feels there are "more test that could be ran." I've went through 4 mri's, nuclear bone scan, 3 emg nerve tests, tons of blood work, my primary care physician, 3 neurosurgeons (they say there is nothing mechanically wrong with my back), 1 neurologist, & 2 pain management doctors.

One medication you might supplement for Lyrica is Neurontin. I was on Neurontin prior to Lyrica, but for me it helped with my mental "foggyness." I try not to use narcotic pain meds, but have found that if I don't then I can't really do much of anything. What saves / keeps my marriage going is my opioids. Also try high volumes of vit d 3, magnisium & one other but I forgot what it was.

I know it sounds weird, but I think for men we have to fight with our self-confidence, because we are not able to do what we once were able to. We have deal with other people wondering why he has changed his habits and then have to go through the scrutiny of explaining ourselves.

I hope and pray you get relief and be as close to who you once was.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
(male)

MeatLocker HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150STX View Post
First, as one male to another male I know how you feel. I haven't been diagnosed yet, because my doctor feels there are "more test that could be ran." I've went through 4 mri's, nuclear bone scan, 3 emg nerve tests, tons of blood work, my primary care physician, 3 neurosurgeons (they say there is nothing mechanically wrong with my back), 1 neurologist, & 2 pain management doctors.

One medication you might supplement for Lyrica is Neurontin. I was on Neurontin prior to Lyrica, but for me it helped with my mental "foggyness." I try not to use narcotic pain meds, but have found that if I don't then I can't really do much of anything. What saves / keeps my marriage going is my opioids. Also try high volumes of vit d 3, magnisium & one other but I forgot what it was.

I know it sounds weird, but I think for men we have to fight with our self-confidence, because we are not able to do what we once were able to. We have deal with other people wondering why he has changed his habits and then have to go through the scrutiny of explaining ourselves.

I hope and pray you get relief and be as close to who you once was.
Thanks dude, because everyone thinks I get depressed. I don't get depressed, I just hurt a lot. So, then I get "well, if you didn't lift so heavy or so much you wouldn't hurt so bad." Not true, I hurt so much more when I DON'T lift!

As far as vits and mins, well I take about 50-60 capsules a day I will post everything here soon. I only use NOW brand vitamins. My nutrition is top notch, I have my B.S. in Nutrition actually. I don't eat sugar, and I eat a small amount of starches. Mostly just green vegetables and a crap load of protein so I heal and recover faster.

I'd like to hear from more Men on how they deal with life (family, self-esteem).

Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Okay, if the fogginess is present when you aren't on Lyrica, that's probably not causing it! And it definitely sounds like it's helping you. There's nothing wrong with just staying on it in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLocker View Post
I It seems every time I get ahead in my sport, something happens.
I hear you on this one! I'm female, but I also spend a lot of time at the gym, and, yes, some days it seems like it's just one setback or injury after another. Still, anything you do is better than nothing. Anything you accomplish is a strike back at this stupid syndrome.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User

One thing you may want to have your doctor check your vitamin D level. My pain management doctor mentioned that often times if your vitamin D level is low that it makes your pain level worse and often times once the D level is higher that a lot of fibro patients' pain reduces significantly.

To your question about dealing with my family life, self-esteem, and other stuff on what I experience / feel. Like you said I too do not typically feel depressed, I feel that I have to battle my self-confidence. I don't know if that is the same as being depressed, but I hate looking and seeing how I have been limited. My thoracic region of my back has hurt for about 3-4 years (CONSTANT deep dull aching pain between the shoulder blades & spine that radiates into the shoulder blades and into the top of the shoulders) & my lumbar started 1-2 years ago (CONSTANT mixture of deep dull & sharp stabbing pain in the low back/hip area (apprx 2-3" from the spine right above BOTH hips) and has progressively gotten worse. My legs (primarily in the knees and calves) throb and have intense aching pain.

Up to about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago I managed with the pain and felt that I could still "do it all". I would work at my office job and after working 8-10 hours I'd come home and do recreational wood working until 12:00 - 1:00 in the morning. Then on the weekends I'd work on our land (we have 2 acres) either by mowing, helping plant crap with my wife, or installing a chain link fence around our land. Slowly, I started slowing down and realizing I wasn't able to keep up my previous pace and began hurting worse and worse regardless of how little or how much I did. My wife, brother, and parents all say I push myself to hard forcing my body to work beyond its limits (which probably escalated my condition).

I thank God every day that I have such a understanding wife. I have had to struggle to make sure our sex life has not suffered (to much anyway). My main struggle is my pain level increases during and after the act and will linger for a day or so. Right now I'm presently on short-term disability because I have not been diagnosed yet, but am on my way because all tests completed have not shown any info to lead to a diagnosis. My primary feeling I've been having to deal with is fear of the unknown. I have no idea what is wrong (even though it's probably fibro). I feel frustrated that I've tried Cymbalta & Lyrica and there hasn't been a very large improvement. I recently had to change pain management doctors and the pain medication he has me on keeps my pain level tolerable, but I can't do very much and am pretty much stuck on the couch (something I do not like). Hopefully something will happen where my pain level decreases or they up my pain medication. As of right now my "quality of life" is that of a 60-70 year old and is something a 28 year old shouldn't have to deal with.

I know what you mean by something always happens (regarding your career) .. I was a top performer at my work, but because I can only sit / stand for 20-30 minutes before having to walk around it significantly affected my review. While moving around I was extremely productive, but because the other tasks were not my "core-responsibilities" it had no impact to my over-all review and caused a "poor" performance (gotta love corporate america). Prior to my review period beginning I supplied doctor notes indicating I wasn't able to sit all day and even asked to be moved to a different department where I could be productive I was told it wouldn't be possible. All I can hope and pray is something is able to be approved upon because if I am not able to have a reduction in pain (medication enduced or by therapy) then either I can try again to switch departments or I'll have to say goodbye to a company where I've worked for over 5 years and start completely over.

So there we are ..

Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
(male)

Holy crap I didn't know it'd be that long. That's what I get for posting from my phone AND doing it late at night / so early in the morning. Oh well .. I was honest and that's the good thing about the web. Honesty without judgement.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I would suggest you look for psyiatrist. This is a physical therapy doctor who will work with you on exercise and such to help you. He/she can prescribe drugs also. I think since you are a weight lifter, it would be a good fit for you. I go to one and love it. They prescribe my Lyrica, Adderall, etc. My best to you.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think Pammyann means a Physiatrist. I second the recommendation, by the way. I've had great luck with physiatrists.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

I used to be an active person obsessed with fitness and working out. When I had pains, I always thought they were due to "working out too much", or simply because the workout was being effective. Wrong. Now I've realized that it was all caused by fibro. I still need to exercise in order to loosen up, but I guess I've given up the dream of building the perfect body. With my disease it just won't happen.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
(male)

MeatLocker HB User

Wow! I will look into the Physiatrist. Anyone know of one in East Texas, preferably in Tyler?

How does long sessions of medium intensity cardio fare with you MOG?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #13
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

I don't really enjoy anything that lasts for more than 40 minutes.. An hour of cardio makes me exhausted for the rest of the day. I can do two sets maybe, like 30min in the morning and 30min in the evening. Nowadays I do some Tae Bo, Pilates and Zumba in my own living room. I don't like the hassle of going somewhere, if I'm not in the mood for it.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I'm the same too - after 40 mins I know about it - like made of glass I split my exercise up as much as I can - this morning i did 5 mins walking on treadmill to warm up followed by 20 mins weights, 10 mins stretching and 15 mins water running - this evening I'll do 40 mins walking followed by stretching. I know about it if I don't exercise - so much stiffer for sure

Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
(female)

mindy1974 HB User

ML,
my doc (male with fibro), says many many MANy men have fibro but just wont get help or talk about it, they suffer and suffer, it destroys there life's because they feel weak and embarrassed to admit that they have a "woman's problem".
my last boyfriend had the sam symptoms as me, and he said that he just 'deals". man he was so unhappy all the time. at least i have support and direction to get better and i am allot better today from all the help i have receive from this board and books on fibro.
keep posting and keep talking, your no the only power lifter out thre who walks around knowing something is WAY off. glad you are here!

Closed Thread