It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

Sweet Carolyne HB User
Fibromyalgia symptoms????

Hi all, I am 44 and have been having symptoms for years but they are getting more frequent and bothersome and I am convinced that something is wrong but I cannot seem to get a diagnosis. I have been battling fatigue for probably 10 years or more and lately it is so bad that I litererally have to make myself get out of bed in the mornings. I have a husband who travels with his job and I have an 11 yr old, so staying in bed is not an option. Over the last two years or so, I am having more symptoms and they are beginning to interfere with my quality of life. Some of my symptoms include:

constant fatigue
abdominal issues( nausea, severe bloating and food doesn't move from stomach to disgestive tract as fast as it should)
flank pain (not excruciating pain, more like discomfort)
alcohol intolerance ( more than two drinks and I feel really sick)
eyelid twitching and sometimes muscle twitching in other parts of body
joint aches,(like tendonitis) particularly in elbows, and hips
migraine headaches
visual disturbance..like zig zag vision before a migraine but it sometimes happens without headache
leg pain, throbbing like a toothache
foggy minded, not feeling "normal" at all times
very low libido
lack of motivation
falling asleep every night while watching TV
cold hands and feet
few fingers sometimes cold and numb
hands and feet fall asleep during the night even if I am not laying on them;
constant sick all over feeling

This morning I woke up with a new symptom...very sore and tender between shoulder blades and upper part of back. It isn't like I slept wrong, it is a deeper tenderness than that. It is difficult to turn my head either way without pain.

Just a little medical history...I have a mitral valve prolapse, a history of recurring fever blisters, Bells palsy and one case of shingles. I have heard that Herpes Simplex could be a cause of Fibro. I had surgery in 2009 to remove a large cyst growing on my intestine and to remove my gallbladder. We thought that would fix the stomach issues but unfortunately all the symptoms didn't go away. I've had an upper endoscopy which revealed mild gastritis. I go back this week for another CT scan of my abdomen. I last went to my MD in July of last year for a annual check. In the blood profile, they checked thryoid, rheumotoid factor, full liver profile, dr said he checked for everything... but EVERYTHING came back normal. I started thinking maybe this is the way you feel as you reach mid 40's but as my symptoms get worse instead of better, I know that I shouldn't feel like I do at my age unless something is wrong. Do my symptoms sound like Fibromylagia or something else?? I am just trying to determine which doctor to seek out next. Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited by Sweet Carolyne; 05-18-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia symptoms????

Soooo sorry that you have this stuff...it does sound a lot like fibro. You will need to have further testing to rule out other things before a diagnosis can be made. I hope you have a good primary doctor who will work with you to get you the tests and docs who can help you. If you get the proper treatment, it will make a huge difference. My best to you.

Pam

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

HI Sweet Carolyne and welcome - a good rheumotologist will be able to diagnose you - many of your symptons sound like fibro - typically a diagnosis is made after ruling out everything else! Good luck

Last edited by thesweetlife; 05-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
(female)

Stabevrian HB User

Have you had your thyroid levels tested? A lot of your symptoms sound like hypothyroidism.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
(female)

Sweet Carolyne HB User

Thanks for the responses.

If I continue to have problems, I think I will try a Rheumatologist next.

I have also been reading up on Hypothyroidism in my search for answers and I agree I do have alot of Hypothy. symptoms. I did have my thryoid, along with everything else, checked in July 2009 but it the results were normal. I have read that thyroid tests often come back okay if your thyroid isn't extremely low. Any thoughts on that? I will be going back to my MD in June and I will get it checked again.

Have any of you with Fibro or Hypothroidism tried any nutritional supplements or natural products rather than prescription meds? I found a clinic online in Bham(just a few hours from here) that specializes in Fibro and autoimmune disease. THe testimonials on the site are encouraging, so just wondered if any of you out there have any personal experience with similar treatments? thanks much. Wishing all of you a happy day

Old 05-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'd be wary of an alternative clinic that relies mostly on testimonials to tell you how good it is. It could be very dangerous to the wallet.

The "natural treatments" that are most widely endorsed are things like sleeping enough, regular hours on a comfortable bed, getting the right exercise, and eating a basically healthy diet with lots of veggies and lean protein. Obviously, if you have an actual deficiency in, say, iron or Vitamin D, (which a simple blood test can check for) taking that supplement will improve your health enormously. Otherwise, taking a lot of supplements might not be terribly useful.

Closed Thread