It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(male)

skylight46 HB User
Fibromyalgia Question

Good afternoon,

I have suffered chronic pain for many years and now suspect I may have fibromyalgia. I just recently started putting all of the pieces together. I have suffered from constant headaches (left side of face and skull including some mild pressure behind the eye), jaw pressure and stiffness (jaw clicks too), neck pain (stiffness and pain), back pain (burning, muscle stiffness), major depression disorder/anxiety (I have been diagnosed with this and taking meds for it), skin sensitivity (when it gets very bad, my skin is sensitive to the touch almost like there is an abrasion or cut, but there is none), facial twitching (left side eyelid twitches), stomach issues (though many have gone away since losing some weight and regulating sugar), severe and often sudden fatigue (I can sometimes rest for 10-15 minutes and then feel pretty normal again and ready to get up and be busy), insomnia (sometimes doze for 20-30 minutes then am awake for another 3-4 hours). I am planning to see a doctor to confirm this, but wanted to get any advice or recommendations since I know diagnosis is both controversial and difficult. Is there a blood test for this? Can FM be confirmed in any other way?

I was reading another FM board too and describing my headaches and someone recommended taking a small amount of benadryl at night. I took some this week and woke up for the first time without a major headache ... it was amazing. I have also lost weight (about 45 pounds over 4 months intentionally) and am regulating my sugar intake (very low sugar diet) which seems to be helping as well.

I am thankful that there are resources and communities here. Any advice, comments, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and be well,
Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia Question

There is no blood test for FMS. There is something called a tender point exam, but it's most commonly a diagnosis of exclusion, after you've had blood tests to rule out many other illnesses.

Congratulations on making positive changes to your diet and lifestyle!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
(male)

skylight46 HB User

Thanks so much for your response. I can't believe it has taken me so long to piece this all together. When the benadryl worked the other night, I was so amazed and feel like I'm close to understanding the cause of all this chronic pain that I've had for years. I started feeling better when I changed my diet and began losing weight, but the headaches and insomnia continued and were sometimes worse. Your thoughts, advice, and kind words are most appreciated. Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
There is no blood test for FMS. There is something called a tender point exam, but it's most commonly a diagnosis of exclusion, after you've had blood tests to rule out many other illnesses.

Congratulations on making positive changes to your diet and lifestyle!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hmm. If Benadryl is helping, your problems probably have to do with either nonrefreshing sleep, or allergies. Or both.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
(male)

skylight46 HB User

Benadryl was recommended on another FM board. It seems to be helping with the headaches, insomnia, and overall inflammation only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Hmm. If Benadryl is helping, your problems probably have to do with either nonrefreshing sleep, or allergies. Or both.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
(male)

PastorCody HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight46 View Post
Benadryl was recommended on another FM board. It seems to be helping with the headaches, insomnia, and overall inflammation only.
I agree. Sleep apnea in women is a major problem - and without a sleep study hard to detect as most women do not have the loud snoring or gasping for breath that men exhibit - some do a vast majority don't. I am husband of a wife that suffers chronic fatigue and fibro and many other ailments.
Be careful about losing too much weight...and there is no scientific evidence that low sugar answers anything -other than diabetes...what can happen (we've been in this boat for 10 years plus now) is that you can start to lose your appetite and that is a bad thing...good nutrition yes!!! But be careful it is not the only answer...we want a real answer and have been searching for 10 years. Every test imaginable and now the symptoms keep compiling. Anyone who knows of a real diagnostic center - because fibro is a degenerative disease...I have watched it - that would be helpful to know. Hang in there - but if someone recommends a miracle treatment - check here first or send a message to us - we haven't found a miracle yet a lot - of lies but no miracles...we continue to hope.

Closed Thread