It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
(male)

lemonflavor HB User
Fibro and Surgery

Have any of you had experience with rather major surgery and recovery and experienced it being much more difficult or worsened afterward? I know for some people this can be a trigger for onset.

I had a microdiscectomy but had chronic fatigue before that. It seemed to get somewhat worse after that. Now I'm having a double fusion and am concerned. There's really no alternative so I just have to deal with it. I guess I don't know what I'm asking for in this post. If anyone has advice on recovery, dealing with doctors who may be unfamiliar etc. or any other comments I'd appreciate it.

With my last surgery the worst part of the recovery was the first time I took a shower. Even with the help of my wife, I was in so much pain, and SO fatigued at the same time I had a little breakdown.
Jeff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
(female)

chicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB User
Re: Fibro and Surgery

My fibro was onset by surgery on my spinal cord. My dr. has explained that everyone who develops fibro has the genetic propensity for it...your body/your chemical and hormonal makeup in your brain/ even your way of dealing with stress, but something triggers the onset. One of those triggering factors is the stress hormones you get when your body undergoes surgery.

I avoid surgery because I know if I have it, my fibro will be exacerbated in the area of the surgery. For example, just from carrying and delivering a baby, I have really bad pain in my tailbone, 4 years later. That was never a problem before childbirth. Something happened to aggravate the muscles and make it a trouble spot for me. It was so bad, I even went and had an MRI to make sure my coccyx bone was not broken! It just stinking hurts now! I need to have surgery for a bunion in my foot, but I am not going to until it is absolutely necessary because I am afraid I will develop chronic pain in my foot if it's aggravated. So, I see your point! I would do as much physical therapy as you can after surgery.

Last edited by chicabella; 05-26-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
(female)

Iambehaving HB User

I recently had my gallbladder removed. I was preparing myself for the worst. I have been in ongoing flares since my FM started. I only get a few days break before I get another major hit. I went in to my surgery telling every single person about my FM. The staff was amazingly helpful. They really took precautions during the prep and aftercare. My surgery did not cause any increase in my FM symptoms. I was actually not stiff the few days after surgery and did not experience the super tenderness I expected. I did still have symptoms, just nothing I couldn't deal with. This doesn't mean next time I'd have to go in for something I wouldn't be paranoid again about what it could do to me.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Ruptured breast implants caused my fibro. Prior to being sick I had several surgeries one a major reconstruction of my upper and lower jaw with quick recovery. Since the fibro, I have had wrist and back, breast biopsy surgery and will be having a hysterectomy in a few weeks.
Even though I am older, I definitely take longer to recover. Not the incisions, but the fatigue is what takes so long. I feel wiped out. I also hurt longer than what the doctors consider normal until they find out I have fibro.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I recently had a cervical fusion. I was also very worried that this would cause more problems with my fibro, because it was my first fusion that brought it on in the first place. However it did not make it any worse than it already was. Just get plenty of rest afterward, do not try to do things that you shouldn't. Worrying as we all know will only make things worse so TRY not to. Hope everything goes well. Keep us informed.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

Thank you for the encouragement. Still thinking late June for surgery.

Closed Thread