It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
(female)

Madeofglass HB User
Hard to lose weight, tips anyone?

Compared to what I eat I weigh too much.. 132lb/66kg and can't seem to lose it, though I try to eat salads and I usually avoid big portions of pasta and stuff like that. I've never really had a sweet tooth, though I may eat like 6-7 pieces of candy every other day. I don't even drink sodas like pepsi, and I know many other people are heavy consumers. Yes I do drink some alcohol once a week, but hey, I'm young. Not enough to explain my weight gain though... I've tried to exercise more, but I hate being exhausted and sore. I've even tried taking supplements to lose weight including CLA and green tea. I may lose a pound or two but nothing remarkable happens.

My midsection is usually bloated and that depresses me as well. I can't wear tight jeans without having an achy stomach.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: Hard to lose weight, tips anyone?

My suggestion to you is give up simples sugar. Cookies, candy, cake...you get the idea. Also, give up white flour items such as bread and pasta. Only eat whole grain bread, pasta and cereal. Also watch portion control. It has worked really well for me. You mentioned you drink...beer is not good as is drinks that contain a lot of sugar such as margaritas. Drink red wine as that doesn't have too much sugar and is a great antioxidant. I have lost weight doing this even while on Lyrica. Reducing the sugar has taken away alot of my pain as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
(female)

HOTFLASHIN HB User

I think the Fibro puts weight on and then the meds we are prescribed for it also add weight. As for me, I cannot seem to do anything to drop even a pound! I exercise, watch portions, don't drink alcohol, etc. But I think my metabolism is dead!!!! This weight I have around the middle is something I have never experienced in my entire life! And it doesn't seem to be "normal" weight! It's like some kind of weird fat!

Anyhow...good luck to you! Let us know if anything works for you!

Hugs,

Pam

Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I was always thin and so getting heavy was a shock. Add menopausal and I really had a hard time losing weight. The no flour no sugar way of eating is healthy but I still wasn't really losing. I did the w.w. core program which was great. I baked a great healthy corn bread recipe and my hubby and I ate very healthy. It still didn't do it. We finally ordered those buy your meals and eat their food programs. I so far have lost 28 pounds and he has lost 30. Here's the secret though. It is portions. Even though we ate chicken, fresh veggies and salads every night, avoiding sugar, flour and limiting meat to maybe once a week, we weren't losing weight, because we ate too much. We both were horrified to see the little amount of food on the program and for the first week we were hungry. Now, we have adjusted to the small amounts and if we go out we get one dinner and share it. I could eat a whole medium pizza by myself now I can't even eat an entire small one.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

Hotflashin, exactly. I'm young so my metabolism should be fast, but no. Perhaps my body's just too damn tired to burn any calories.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Mel52 has very good advice, portion control is a big problem for me. I have lost weight before in 2008, but gained it all back in '09 when switched to a new med. I use to think if you ate properly, meds would'nt make a difference. I was proven wrong.

The only thing that works for me, is to exercise and keep a food journal and eat 1000 to 1200 healthy calories a day. Good Luck!

Glojer

Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

A low carb diet and a lot of gardening helped me get rid of the weight.

Kirstee

Closed Thread