It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
What I have heard.....Fibro/Disability

Just wanted to pass this along. A little background first, my brother who is battling prostate cancer and who has only 20% liver function from cancer and was forced to retire from his job, is trying for disability. The attorney and his doc doesn't think he will get it, because they say SSD will say he can do a sit down job.

Ok, anyway he called SSD to apply and somehow while talking to the very nice lady mentioned his sister has Fibromyalgia. She says to him, "oh yes, Fibromyalgia is at the top of our list now." Seriously? I ask him if she explained what she meant, but of course not. Anyone else heard this....dare I say rumor....giggle. Seems like Fibro is always at the bottom of the list. My only assumption is more and more people with fibro are applying for SSD and that puts fibro at the top of the numbers list. Hey at least we are on some kind of list.....giggle. Any comments?

Peace and Pain Free Days
Glojer

Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
(female)

emeadows HB Useremeadows HB User
Re: What I have heard.....Fibro/Disability

I am in the appeal process. They basically told me 'I am not sick enought yet'! I have new ammo. I have developed several other conditions directly associated with fibro. So, I really hope you heard right! I haven't worked in over a year. Lost my last job because I couldn't meet the demands.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

emeadows, being off work a year is a plus. I have always heard you have to be off at least a year before they consider you. I hope you have success with the appeals process, I am wishing you good luck. Sorry about all those 'wonderful' things we get along with the fibro.

Glojer

Old 06-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
(female)

suzyne HB User

I got my letter from SSD 47 days after I went in for my interview 6 years ago .. My GP said main thing is to have all you medical info ready before you ever make 1st call everything you have wrong every test and where you had it done at ..Just be ready ..I was really lucky I hope every one else the best of luck I wish i could have stayed working longer i really loved my job but there was just no way

Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I read in my research somewhere that FMS is more acceptable now as a disability but I do not remember exactly where I found that info. It did not help me in my case as I had to wait from 2004 to 2008 before finally getting an approval. Of course by that time, I had many other medical issues that bolstered my case. I guess I was lucky that I already had a claim started as it seemed once I had a FMS onset, a lot of accompanying issues followed, some medication related and some that cropped up in addition to the FMS (probably had all along and just not diagnosed) So I am pretty sure that FMS is given a lot more respect by SSA than in the past. I still advise that if one has accompanying issues that they include those initially when filing.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

All good advice. Another thing I have heard is that SS doesn't want to know about how much pain you are in or how you can't stand it. What they want to know is how your FM affects your ability to work. Like you can't stand for more than 10 min. or sit for more than 10 min. or can't hold your arms above your head or can't bend or stoop or that you need two hands to lift 5lbs from the floor or off a high shelf. I'm sorry, I can't remember anymore of the things I saw on my brothers forms, but you get the idea. The lady he talked to told him about the pain thing.

Glojer

Old 06-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
(female)

collegemomma83 HB User

hello i have also heard from various people that you can get ssi for fibromyalgia. i am in the process of trying to get it myself for thr fibromyalgia and also for unexplained blackouts. i will try and let you know what they tell me about it

Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
(female)

PUMKINMUFFIN HB User

I have filied for diablity over a year and half ago due to my FM and Depression. I have been denied twice and i am awaiting a hearing. I finally broke down and got a disablity lawyer. She says FM is a hard one because peoole can not see it.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wish both of you good luck and don't give up. Getting a lawyer I think is a very good idea. They don't get paid if you don't win so there is an incentive there and if they are disability lawyers they know the process and what to present and how to present it. They also have experience with the ALJ's and how they work. Just my opinion.

Glojer

Old 06-24-2010, 04:31 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I have been waiting two and a half years for my SSDI. My court date is due sometime this summer, however my lawyer called yesterday and said my case was transferred to Calif. I live in Fl. She said that Fl is back logged and moving it will expedite it. Does this make sense? How does the whole court thing work if it is being handled in another state? Also as far as what the SSI lady told Glojer's brother, I hope she didn't mean that fibro is at the top of the list because sooo many people are trying for SSDI that don't REALLY have anything wrong with them so they are using fibro because there are no real tests for it. I hope people aren't abusing the system because that would make it even harder for those of us who REALLY NEED IT!! Good luck to everyone!

Closed Thread