It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
(female)

Madeofglass HB User
How do you stay happy with FM?

Is it possible to be happy even if you have fibro? I honestly don't enjoy anything in life anymore.. The fact that I have a chronic illness and nothing helps is on my mind all the time. I wish I could be able to ignore the pain, but I can't. Even if I'm not in a lot of pain, being exhausted depresses me and I feel like I just wanna go to bed.

So, what brings you joy? How do you accept this condition and not let it bring you down?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How do you stay happy with FM?

Having recently suffered a significant downturn in my own health, I sometimes ask the same question. It's not an easy one, but I'll do my best.

You take what you can have. The chance to talk to a friend or family member. To sit on the porch and listen to the birdsongs. To listen to music, to try on clothes in a store.

To exercise and treat your disease. Anything you do, even if it's just walking to the curb or eating one healthy meal, is spitting in the face of whatever it is trying to take your life from you.

And to help others, in whatever way you can. "When you feel poor, give money away." When you feel like you have nothing left, find something to share with someone who has even less.

Yes. You can be happy. Not every minute of every day of course, but reasonably often.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

One of my good friends has fibro and she does reasonably well. She has good days and bad days but she's decided that FM isn't going to rule her life and she does what she wants most of the time. Yes, that means sometimes she suffers for it the next day, but she's living.

I'm reading an interesting book that indicates that FM is closely tied to thyroid problems and that nearly all people with FM have thyroid disease. In the case of my friend, this is also true- she has hashimoto's. I also have Hashi's, but not FM.

If you haven't already, you might consider having your thyroid checked. The book I'm reading said that you cannot treat FM without treating the thyroid first.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

good question. being happy is a choice i make every day no matter how i feel. nothing is allowed to touch my joy, my happiness. my health can do as it darn well pleases, i only have some control over that. being happy i have total control over and i choose to laugh in the face of health or anything else. if i choose stress and fear that is what i will feel. if i choose instead to find joy and peace in every waking moment i know happiness.
being in pain is an aspect of my life. it is not allowed to control my thoughts or actions. it may slow me down at times but never stops me from being alive and glad i am.
for myself i realized i had to choose. so i chose the strength and joy being happy brings. i am glad i am me. i am totally cool with having health junk. it is my journey of life so i will make the most of what i have and not waste precious energy with sadness over things i cannot do nor change.
it took 9 years with a great shrink to reach this place of peace. worth every step, every word, every friendship ended.
may you find your . . .
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I too am not going to let FM run my life. I re-prioritize what I do in life. I choose to do things that are meaningful to me and my family. I have learned to say no to things that stress me, including people.

I take an anti-depressant which helps me also. I cut out sugar, exercise almost every day, eat healthy, drink lots of water and get good sleep. My spiritual life is a source of comfort to me too.

I choose to have a good life and not let this get me down only occasionally when I have a flare.

Hugs and Prayers you find what works for you,
Pam

Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
(female)

Madeofglass HB User

Bluelakelady, your attitude is something I admire. I hope I'll find the strength that you have one of these days. It's just that every obstacle feels like a mountain to climb at this point, and everything that goes wrong tears me to pieces. Basically.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

HI Madeofglass - it's easy to climb a mountain if you keep focussing on going one step at a time - if you look up it can seem too far/too steep/you can't always see where you need to go and if you look back you can get dispirited when you see you haven't gone very far - a great metaphor for dealing with fibro - I still find it hard when I think of all the things I used to do (3 years ago I was in full training for my bike ride from London to Paris) it's just like looking down the mountain, so I do my best not to look back - instead I look forward to the things I can do - and I focus more on one day at a time but I know exactly what my life goals are to live in Italy in the sun - that's been my plan for 5 years (before fibro reared its ugly head) it's really helped to keep me positive and focussed - a couple of weeks ago we bought our little piece of Italy - so instead of dreaming the dream I will be living the dream!!!
For me to stay positive I keep myself as busy as possible - it used to be "doing things" now it can be meditation, stretching, learning Italian etc - I work and love my job which again really helps - so I guess doing things you are passionate about. I go to seminars/workshops on positive mindsets - I'm off to Rome for a week to a 5 day seminar with Tony Robbins - google him he's amazing - he's written some fab books all about how despite adversity YIU CAN DO GREAT things - it's all about our minds - we do walking on red hot coals on day one which is all about how to use your mind to conquer things you think might not be possible - AWESOME! Good luck xxx

Closed Thread