It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
(female)

isitjustme HB User
Exclamation My friend thinks I have FM, do I?

Hi,

I have been complaining of certain pains to my friend and she told me that it sounds like Fibromyalgia. I don't know though.

On one of the boards in here, I have complained of my elbow and my tailbone hurting me, also, I have RLS, which lately for some reason I have been getting alot of leg cramps. Which I haven't gotten in a long time because I do take potassium for that.

Does tailbone pain or uncomfortablness have anything to do with Fibro?

Today, I have had a huge headache, which I never would have thought with Fibro. But again I don't know.

I do get fatigued alot and feel I can't accomplish what I start because I have to sit down and get my energy which most of the time doesn't happen.

I have some horrible sleep issues that I have been dealing with for a long time.

My left arm when I pick something up, it hurts my elbow when I squeeze to pick something up. And my arm will also feel all tingly too.

My legs and feet sometimes feel really heavy and sore and the bottom of my feet feel all tingly and just so tired. When I tell people sometimes when I am standing for a long time, my feet get so sore that if I don't sit down the pain shoots up into my ankle then into the leg which makes it worse.

Anyway my friend told me to share with you all of this to see what you may say. I hope I told you all of my symptoms, if I remember anymore I will post them later. I am getting tired it is a late bed time night for me.

Maybe if I have a fresh start tomorrow I will think better.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: My friend thinks I have FM, do I?

It could be fibromyalgia. The fact that you've had trouble sleeping for a long time is especially fibro-like.

But fibro is tough to diagnose for sure, most of the time you have to be tested for a lot of other illnesses first. It could be anything from an autoimmune disease to a nutritional imbalance to something neurological.

Definitely, make a list of all the things that are bothering you. Bring it to a doctor's appointment. He or she will probably want to run blood tests.

It may take some time to get answers, but you should at least start looking.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
(female)

Mazzieb HB User

Hi! I have fibromyalgia, but I also have something called Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome. You can get one or the other, but often times these two syndromes exacerbate each other. Both will cause fatigue, muscle tenderness, problems sleeping, etc. The BIG difference is, Myofascial pain has knots in your muscles that you can feel (palpate) caused by TRIGGER points. Fibromyalgia has TENDER points, which hurt whether you press on them or not, but you cannot feel externally. Knots in the fascia from Myofascial pain can be excruciating because they can entrap nerves and cause numbness in the extremities, as well as the backs of your thighs and back. I woke up one morning and couldn't feel either of my hands...it took 6 days to get feeling back. I was convinced I had had a stroke. Anyway, get it checked out. Get your doctor to run blood tests. including checking for creatnine kinase (CK levels, which is a protein your body releases when muscles have been damaged) If all of your blood results come back normal except for your CK levels (which will be high if you have muscle fatigue/damage) then you most likely have Fibro, Myofascial pain syndrome, or both. Good luck! Get some rest...

Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I agree with what the others have said. Make a list of your symptoms and go see your doctor. More testing will be needed before a diagnosis can be made. Fibro is kinda like a diagnosis of exclusion, other things must be ruled out. My hope for you is that you don't have it.

My best to you,
Pam

Last edited by Pammyann; 06-07-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
(female)

seantal HB Userseantal HB User

I am pretty sure I have Myofascial pain syndrome and I never thought to ask about having CK levels checked. Usually CK levels are high with muscle damage (if you have a heart attack, you heart is damaged and your CK levels rise, if you run a marathon your CK levels rise). I never thought so see if my CK levels are slightly elevated from this.

I have Trigger points ALL over my body, literally from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet. My massage therapist (who specializes in Myofascial release) has my trigger points releived in my shoulders and upper back. My lower back is horrid as well as my thighs, calves etc etc. Plantar faciitis is also one of my complaints..... LOL the foot thing has a name but when I mention MPS I get really wierd looks, LOL.

I beleive MPS was overlooked by all the therapists I have had (I had one massage therapist tell me I had so many knots she would never be able to give me a full body massage) and it has now progressed to fibromyalgia.

Closed Thread