HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Ldn (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/753923-ldn.html)

lu55 06-15-2010 08:20 PM

Ldn

My MD recently prescribed LDN for hashimoto's disease (thyroid). I also have fibro and am hoping that it will help w/ that, too.

Could you please let me know your experiences on LDN? I sincerely appreciate any info you have for me.

bluelakelady 06-16-2010 07:48 AM

Re: Ldn

hi lu55,
this is one i have not tried. however i just wanted to thank you for bringing it to my attention. i have a daughter facing cancer, again. i did some reading up on it and from what i read i shall be discussing it with the doc both my daughter and i see.
i hope it is helpful to you. please let me know how you respond to it if you do not mind.
peace,
bluelakelady

lu55 06-16-2010 10:42 AM

Thanks for your response. LDN looks very promising for a variety of ailments, including cancer. It is absolutely worth a try.

Because my body has gotten so darn sensitive, I am starting on 1.5 mgs. and working up to 3.5, and I will keep you posted on my progress. I will start on Thursday or Friday.

I will be away from my computer the first week of July so if you don't hear from me that's why. By the time I return, I should have plenty of info.

thesweetlife 06-16-2010 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=bluelakelady;4267252]hi lu55,
this is one i have not tried. however i just wanted to thank you for bringing it to my attention. i have a daughter facing cancer, again. i did some reading up on it and from what i read i shall be discussing it with the doc both my daughter and i see.
i hope it is helpful to you. please let me know how you respond to it if you do not mind.
peace,
bluelakelady[/QUOTE]

Sending my prayers to both you and your daughter xxx

goldyfm 06-17-2010 06:12 AM

I was on LDN for a number of months and I had immediate drop in pain. Unfortunately about 4 months in, I developed nausea and vomiting and was unable to tolerate any longer, but I cannot say enough good things about it. I was more mentally alert, went almost 3 months without having to take any pain meds other than a couple of incidents. I was moving better, felt great. I really was hoping it was my magic cure. Please don't take my failure to tolerate as a reason not to try as I have had long-time issues with medication allergies and wild side effects. I am not your "normal" test subject. I would still be taking it if I was able to tolerate it. I did write a thread here on my experiences, both here and on the Lupus board. Hope you have good results as well.

bluelakelady 06-17-2010 07:38 AM

thank you sweetlife. i hope the time away lu is due to a fun vacation from the computer and life? thank you for your kindness.
peace,
blue

lu55 06-17-2010 10:44 AM

Re: Ldn== Goldy

Goldy,

Thank you for your reply. I feel encouraged to try the LDN, but my body is much like yours--I have great difficulties w/ most meds and am very sensitive.

I will start tonight or tomorrow. Did you take the dose at night or during the day? There's a lot of info on when to take LDN and it seems to vary by individual.

goldyfm 06-17-2010 12:10 PM

I was told to take at night. I did some research and it seems the body replenishes the body's natural endorphins between 12 and 3AM, so you take this to boost the body's natural response. I suppose if one worked a different shift or slept during a different time, you could adjust. I did not mention earlier, but I did want to add that I slept much better and stayed asleep all night long while on this med. This was a welcome response for a chronic insomniac that had tried all the sleep meds with no real relief. I now am back to my 1-3 hours of sleep and it is the pits. Just for your info.

lu55 06-18-2010 04:06 PM

I took 1.5 mgs. last night and slept fitfully, but I do not feel tired because I'm all reved up--I feel hyper. I called my MD and he said to decrease my thyroid meds in half, which seems rather drastic but I'll follow his orders and do that tomorrow.

During the past week, my fibro pain has been bad. Today, I do feel better pain-wise, but am so hyper it is difficult to tell exactly how I feel.

I'll continue to post for the next few days and then I'm gone for a few weeks.

goldyfm 06-21-2010 06:48 AM

Don't give up as I read that it can initially cause odd dreams, etc in the beginning but that ususally subsides. I had the best couple of months that I had had in years once I got accustomed to the LDN. I unfortunately developed bronchitis and the mixture of meds for that and my regular meds is what brought on my negative reaction. I tried everything to continue the LDN but I was unable to tolerate. I do hope you can tolerate until you have good results.

lu55 06-21-2010 11:10 AM

I started on 1.5 LDN several days ago, and had to drastically reduce my thyroid meds in half (over a couple days). I was super hyper until today and I'm on 60 mgs. Armour's thyroid. I think I feel normal today, but it's been a wild ride.

I have various forms of insomnia (can't sleep, can't stay asleep, etc.), and constipation (!). But, I think my fibro pain has subsided--I was in a flare when I started the LDN. This is very good news if, indeed, it is true and not a coincidence.

I'm going to touch base w/ my MD today and ask him how to taper the thyroid meds and how to increase the LDN to 3 mgs, which is the dose he wants me on.

Thanks, Goldy, for your encouragement.

lu55 06-21-2010 07:10 PM

For anybody interested, regarding my MD appointment today: He said that my thyroid is now working and to cut back to 30 mgs. of Armour's thyroid and stay at 1.5. He believes that my thyroid is starting to work on its own and I will eventually stop all thyroid meds AND LDN.

I hope I don't feel hyper tomorrow. I'm very tired and feel discombobulated.

thesweetlife 06-22-2010 12:42 AM

That's great news Lu

lu55 06-22-2010 12:53 AM

Well, I think it's good news. I've been reading forums all night about thyroid disease and LDN. Very few on LDN ever get totally off thyroid meds and it appears as though they are then on LDN forever. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

However, the really good news is that my fibro pain is gone.