It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

heavenpromise HB User
fibromyogia

hi im new to this site and i have been having fibromyogia for 8 months now last year i was fine no pain what so ever, the docs prescribe lyrica and tramadol but both make my stomach sick actually or medications do so what has others been doing besides med to relieve this horrible pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User
Re: fibromyogia

FIRST AFTER TYPING THIS I APOLOGIZE FOR SUCH A LONG POST...

I would suggest very mild to mild exercise (walking, stretching, swimming), but will need to learn your limitations so you do not cause your pain to increase and last multiple days. I also take vitamin D-3 supplements because most fibro peeps has low levels of vitamin D levels.

Unfortunately, the meds I take (long list) to keep my pain tolerable without activity are (20 mg Opana ER (1 am & 1 pm); 15 mg Oxycodone for break through pain, 10 mg Baclofen (muscle relaxer), 450 mg Lyrica / day, 60 mg Cymbalta / day, & .5 mg Ativan (as needed for anxiety / stress, because the higher the stress = more pain = anxiety).

What sucks is my pain is tolerable, but I'm not able to do alot of every day tasks like shopping w my wife or vaccumming wo having to take 10-15 min breaks every 15-30 minutes, because my pain increases. When the possibility of fibro was mentioned my pain management (pm) doc made the statement that, "he doesn't like to treat fibro w narcotic pain meds because he doesn't feel they are affective against fibro pain." Savella significantly reduced my muscle & joint pain, but even at it's lowest dosage I had to quit taking it because of side effects.

I agree pain meds do not take my pain away, but it DOES help me go from wanting to lay down all day to being able to do things (be they small things, but something is better than nothing)! I've tested his theory by reducing my current pain meds and during that time period my activeness / quality of life decreased significantly.

The last time I saw my pm doc (his nurse practioner) I told him we (my wife was there) were not happy with my current pain coverage and wanted to know what else we could do. My Lyrica was increased from 2 to 3 150 mg capsules / day & said if that didn't significantly reduce my pain level then he'd speak w the doctor to see about increasing the Opana ER.

After 1 1/2-2 wks my burning pain was less intense & my muscle twitches in my arms/legs decreased giving my wife and I more/better sleep, but my joint/muscle pain overall didn't drop by that much. So, as instructed I asked my pm doc to possibly increase my Opana ER, but they called me back saying he didn't want to make any changes at this time. So, I asked them what should I do because I'm tired & frustrated because I'm tired of what I can / can't do, but all I was told was to bring it up again on my next visit w the doctor (which my earliest appointment is on 8/9).

My pcp is referring me to a rheumatologist so HOPEFULLY I'll get better relief.

I'm so sorry for venting, but I hope my early comments help you find relief!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Years ago before I became allergic to the medicine, I took nortriptyline for my fibro and I thought it was a MIRACLE drug! I slept SO good and my muscles really felt wonderful! One day just like any other allergy that we can develop I began having these terrible hot sweats because of this medication. They tried me on another antidepressant for the fibro and that landed me in the ER. I cannot take any of the antidepressants now

I remember my insurance not wanting to pay for that medication AT that time, until my doctor explained that I needed it for a medical reason. Then they paid for it. I was so upset then because it really did work well for me. I miss not being able to take it.

Hope this helps a wee bit. I know the pain of fibro can be unbearing at time. Moderation seems to be the key. I do a little bit each day regarding my housework so it does not get ahead of me. Those "Saturday cleaning days" are gone.

Madison

Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I second the recommendation for nortriptyline. Currently it's the only thing I can take. It doesn't get me pain-free, but the pain stays at a level where I can ignore it most of the time.

I've also used muscle relaxants in the past, because a lot of my pain is related to muscle knots and spasms. I tried Soma, Flexeril and Baclofen. They all relieved my spasms and they all made me drowsy, but I like Soma best because it's short-acting. I can take one in the evening, get a few hours of peace, and then be clear-headed for work in the morning.

I tried Tramadol, it made me throw up repeatedly until it wore off. Not trying that again! Even other opiates don't make me nauseous like that!

Also, look into non-drug management techniques, including exercise and massage. Your exercise program or massage therapist should take into account how you are feeling. Your exercise program might be no more than a few minutes of stretching. But moving around as much as you can tolerate should help.

Closed Thread