It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
(male)

F150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB UserF150STX HB User
Improperly Discharged from Physician Care

Ok, for background review the thread "Advice Needed: PM Dr changed script quantity w/o notice & refused communication."

I went to my primary care physician yesterday and am being referred to another pain management doctor. He said not to tell the current pm doc I am changing physician care and that if I have any issues trying to refill my Opana ER to contact him and he will make sure I have proper pain coverage.

Today, I receive a call from my present pm doctor office (the ones I'm getting away from) stating they are discharging me from their care because "I HAVE BEEN GETTING PAIN MEDICATIONS FROM OTHER DOCTORS."

First, that is a bold face lie. Second, I feel this is just their way of "getting rid of me." Does the "Right to Refuse Service" apply to health care? Finally, I am scared to death that if another doctor, my insurance company, or anyone else requests medical records that I'll be labeled as a "drug seeker."

What should I do??

Old 07-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: Improperly Discharged from Physician Care

I would write to them and tell him you are going to contact the General medical Counsel unless he deletes that from your record (or your equivalent in the US) - he should be struck off!! Ask him to specify who you have received drugs from and ask the other dr you went to see to write to him too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Did you ask where they got that information? If I were you I'd try to find that out because if you haven't gotten any meds from any other doctors then a mistake was made somewhere and in order to correct it you need to know what happened. Also you should get copies of your records from them - they are yours and you're entitled to them. It could just be a big mistake -don't just accept this. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

best thing to do is let it go. you were leaving anyway. yes they can dump you anytime they choose. just like you can dump them. as for being told about the drugs, well, pick your battles. is this really worth pursuing? will it cause you more stress than letting it go will?
doctors do have the right to refuse service for any reason.
if it were me, i would chalk it up to idiocy and move on. no nasty letter. they got enough of my energy, they don't get any more. in the end it is up to you to decide what will make you feel better about it.
your new doctor will listen to your pcp not the doc you are dumping, and if that new doc is a turkey, shop around more. i have fired 17 doctors and now have a great group of 9 doctors that assist me in my quest for quality of life. they listen, follow my lead and trust me to be wise about my drug intake.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread