It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

donnadb040 HB Userdonnadb040 HB User
Hypersensitivity

Does anyone else seem to have extremely heightened senses.... What I mean is 1) If you bump something cool/cold naked, do you shreik and jerk unnaturally? 2) Are most things too loud for you (TV, kids, music, etc) 3) Do bright lights KILL your eyes 4) When someone startles you, do you seem to over-react? 4) When you bump your elbow/toe etc. again, do you seem to over-react? 5) Does the "feel" of certain objects give you the heebi jeebies?? 6) Can you not tolerate strong smells..... Does perfume give you a headache??? 7) Do you experience extreme hot or cold spells????

I have all of the above and have just been wondering if any or all of this is related to fibro??

Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
(female)

leonap HB User
Re: Hypersensitivity

Yes,yes,yes to all of them.Even am ultra sensitive to medications.Smells as perfumes seem so stron they can give me a headache and take my breath away.And ,good grief,if I happen to bang into the bathroom wall after I'm done taking a shower and am not clothed yet,I think I'm going to go through the roof.It will feel extremely ice cold.If I hear a door or something unexpected bang,my adrenal seems to kick in overdrive and takes a very long time to settle back to normal.My ski too will get extremely sensitive.Sometimes it even hurts to brush my hair.My skin will almost burn.And yes to the extreme hot and cold spells.the heebies too.Wow,it's reliveing to know others experience the same exact thing.Have beautiful day tomorrow. :0)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

Gerty HB User

yes I feel silly tho just a soft touch is enough to set me off I find if I bumb myself soft or do something to myself that should not hurt so much the pain is bad at first its like WOW! that hurts then it goes down a bit only to come back up again and keeps going like that for awhile. But if I hurt myself bad it don't seem to hurt much as it should its really odd. And you try and tell people and they just look at you

Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
(female)

Ahhhhhh.... Well, at least I know that I am not crazy then and that I am not alone! I'm always feeling like I'm over-reacting to the simplest things but to my body, they are not simple! Feels nice to know that there are others out there like me! No one mentioned if they feel like this is part of the fibro??? I for sure DO think it fits in there somewhere! Thanks for you replies and have a calm and quiet tomorrow!

Donna

Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
(female)

Gerty HB User

Sorry I thought I was been clear yes its fits in with fibro and no your not alone at all we are here and just like you. Good luck and like we say in fibromyalgia gentle hugs.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-25-2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Yeah to all of it. Heebie jeebies with clothes on my forearms and neck after about 5 or 6 in the evening.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #7
(female)

leonap HB User

No you are not crazy alone or too sensitive.I think that is part of the makeup of fibro.Our nerve endings,or something like that ,process pain at a hypersensitive standpoint.What might be a light touch to someone without fibro,is like ahard grasp to us.Every thing hurts.Everyday hurts.Especially now where I live-the Ohio area.The weather is starting to go through alittle transition.Slowly fall will aprocah us here.It has been extrememly hot and humid all summer,and now we are getting some cooler days thrown in.I wonder if anyone else reacts to the weather changes like I do?Especially if the dewpoint and humidity is high and then it drops.I cant move hardly.I have to medicate up to get out of bed.Fibro is a strange illness.It has so many triggers involved with it-so may syptoms.Have a beautiful,healthy,happy,joyful day to all!!! :0)

Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Yes to all!

Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Yes to all and I have been my whole life!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonap View Post
No you are not crazy alone or too sensitive.I think that is part of the makeup of fibro.Our nerve endings,or something like that ,process pain at a hypersensitive standpoint.What might be a light touch to someone without fibro,is like ahard grasp to us.Every thing hurts.Everyday hurts.Especially now where I live-the Ohio area.The weather is starting to go through alittle transition.Slowly fall will aprocah us here.It has been extrememly hot and humid all summer,and now we are getting some cooler days thrown in.I wonder if anyone else reacts to the weather changes like I do?Especially if the dewpoint and humidity is high and then it drops.I cant move hardly.I have to medicate up to get out of bed.Fibro is a strange illness.It has so many triggers involved with it-so may syptoms.Have a beautiful,healthy,happy,joyful day to all!!! :0)
My biggest trigger is the weather - especially the cold,wet and wind - I live in the UK so that's most of the time. I don't know about humidity as we rarely have that here as it never gets that hot - LOL!!! My body loves the heat, I can almost feel the lumps, bumps and tight muscles melting when we have the odd hot day and when we go on holiday it's bliss

Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

The weather affects me greatly, too. I live in SC and we call it the humidity capital of the world...LOL! We seem to have different seasons here as opposed to a lot of the country, pollenated dust clouds in spring with yo yo temps, HOT and muggy summer, and very warm fall to damp and cold winter. I am like 2 different people in the spring and summer compared to winter. While my body cringes at the humidity, I can function at a livable level. However, once it becomes damp and cold my muscles seem to lock up and the fibro and arthritis go into a flare for long periods of time. At least in the spring and summer I am able to wear very lightweight clothing that doesn't pressure my skin, but in the winter I have to bundle up and my muscles are constantly contracting as they warm up and then get chilled which makes my skin and muscles ache and my bones groan! So yes, the sensitivity you feel is a big symptom of fibro! Keep smiling and hang in and hang on!
Mim Gregg

Old 08-29-2010, 04:03 AM   #12
(female)

pie2000 HB User

yes yes and yes! I feel terrible that it hurts when my kids and husband hug me but i can't stand it. it not only hurts but is sometimes so irratating. I jump everytime my husband walks in the house from work yet I know its him. The dog smells horrible yet only to me. Everything has a smell everywhere (stores, restaurants, drs offices, cars, school). I am having the worst hot and cold spells of my life. I hate someone else is going thru this but it is comforting to know that someone knows how it feels for me.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
(female)

home sweet home HB User

Yes to all,and Ill add memory problems. I have that bad and it really upsets me, to the point when it happens I want to cry.Then I think I have to try and explain myself. It happened yesterday when my husband and I went out to eat. I went to pay and we started visiting and I couldnt remember if she gave me my change back. When I went back to table huppy asked if I left the tip at register, looked at him dumb founded. Started checking my pockets and I did have some money there put I didnt see what it was. Because huppy gave me money earlier in the day and was going to put it in my pocket but changed my mind and put in purse and I forgot. So had to ask her if she gave me any change back that I dont remember because we got to visiting.She said I gave it to you, it was 4.20 cents. Sure enough it was in my pocket. I felt like a fool. So my husband could see the tears coming so he tried to save me by saying well honey its just your medicine doing it. At first he didnt take it very serious. But now he has learned to watch over me all the time. When Im trying to think of a word if I say the wrong word he corrects my mistakes or comes up with the word for me. Sometimes I make no sense at all. Then he will say I think your getting tired we better go home. I could give all kinds of examples but I wont bore you any more. But I sure wouldnt know what to do without him.So I am very lucky that way. home sweet home

Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
(female)

I have the memory problems too! They are getting worse and worse! It's embarassing and humiliating and I don't have anyone to "watch my back"! It's especially horrifying when it happens with issues at work! I've started to write everything that i even think is important down so that i can refer back to it. Bad thing is, you're not always in a situation where you can stop and jot down a note! I haven't found anything (supplements, meds, etc) that helps with this problem at all...

Old 08-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnadb040 View Post
Does anyone else seem to have extremely heightened senses.... What I mean is 1) If you bump something cool/cold naked, do you shreik and jerk unnaturally? 2) Are most things too loud for you (TV, kids, music, etc) 3) Do bright lights KILL your eyes 4) When someone startles you, do you seem to over-react? 4) When you bump your elbow/toe etc. again, do you seem to over-react? 5) Does the "feel" of certain objects give you the heebi jeebies?? 6) Can you not tolerate strong smells..... Does perfume give you a headache??? 7) Do you experience extreme hot or cold spells????

I have all of the above and have just been wondering if any or all of this is related to fibro??
All the above except I don't walk around naked bumping into things! hee I find loud noises do me in-I can have the Tv turned to ultra low & I even mute the sound at that point. When I bump my toes or my head I cry in pain because I have a low threshold for pain. I am not a porcelin doll but I feel pain at it's highest level. Some smells bother me-some smell I smell even after I have left the "smell zone" I hate being cold but then I put more clothes on and I have a hot flash so off come the clothes again.

Closed Thread