It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

danileigh83 HB User
fibro and jobs

Has anyone out there had a problem with keeping their jobs due to fibromyalgia? I also would like to know if anyone is working from home. If so what do you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: fibro and jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danileigh83 View Post
Has anyone out there had a problem with keeping their jobs due to fibromyalgia? I also would like to know if anyone is working from home. If so what do you do?
I worked with this for years. The symptoms began for me in about 1994 but I didn't get a real dx until 2008. Anyway, at first it came and went so it wasn't that hard to deal with. After 2007 I really wasn't able to work much. I did temp work for a few years but that was even too much. I left a job in December 2007 and my doctor had me on Pred for a while. Took a while to kick in and when it did I felt better so I looked for a permanent job. By the time the job started I was on my first step down on Pred and I lasted a whole month there. Almost a month actually. After that...it wasn't possible. On my first appointment with the Rheumy she told me I had Fibro and before the first meeting was over she told me then I couldn't return to work. She said maybe with treatment and at best part time. I applied for disability and got it in less than a year so that's that. I miss being around people, and feeling productive. I wish I could find something to do from home. Someone offered me a wonderful opportunity a couple of months ago to work from home...a legit job but I didn't want to mess up my disability. And, if I took the job and if I lost my disability I would have to go thru the whole process again...so that was that. I couldn't deal with a job now anyway. I know that. I have enough trouble doing things around the house!!

Take care,
Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

This is such a difficult issue for people with FMS. I worked a full-time job, but I found ways to sneak naps in a supply closet and on my lunch hour in my car. By the time I retired, I was ready to collapse. My mom had fibro (she didn't know it though). She worked as a medical transcriber. In hindsight (she has passed on), I think that really worked well for her as she could lay down when she needed to.

Do you have something in mind?

Kirstee

Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
(female)

danileigh83 HB User

well i'm a cma (certified medical assistant) so i'd REALLY like to do that, but with all of the standing and walking my body just can't handle it. i tried going part-time at my last job and even the 3 eight hour days was hard. so i asked if i could work 5 days but only half days and that's when they let me go. i never got an answer from my office manager. *shrugs* so as far as having anything in mind....something that i can do at my home when i can put the work in to it. my sleep has been wonky lately and i'm currently on muscle relaxers to try and get my legs to calm down so if i could work at 3 am or 3pm or anytime in between would be great. i just know i need something my fiance's in college on his last semester, we're planning our wedding and due to losing my job and collecting unemployment i may lose my health insurance...so money would be great.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
(female)

Sweety2002 HB User

I don't know where you are located and if it's the same, but where I am, I know if one has a job and has a medical condition, the employers cannot fire or let go of the employee. This of course, is provided they have a letter/note from the doctor stating that the employee can only work a certain amount of hours per day/week or have light duties, or whatever. They cannot fire a person because of a medical condition, that could be considered discrimination.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweety2002 View Post
I don't know where you are located and if it's the same, but where I am, I know if one has a job and has a medical condition, the employers cannot fire or let go of the employee. This of course, is provided they have a letter/note from the doctor stating that the employee can only work a certain amount of hours per day/week or have light duties, or whatever. They cannot fire a person because of a medical condition, that could be considered discrimination.
I know what a hardship it is not to have any coverage at all and be too sick to work. I was so sick for so long...from '02 'til last year when I got Medicare due to my disability. And out of the little bit of money every month I have to pay for a supplement because Medicare doesn't cover everything. I'm glad to have it...it's way better than nothing.

In this country Sweety people lose jobs all the time because they're sick. Of course they're not told that's why they're let go. Canada has the right idea IMOP. I wish we could adopt a plan like that but...don't expect it to happen here.
sharon

Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

In New Jersey it is called FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act). I am currently working and have had my doctor fill out the paperwork so they can not fire me due to absences from work. I have 421 hours of off time with FMLA. I am glad we have it.
Cat ;0)

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

I live in Maine, have been out of work since July 1. My boss told me he would hold my job for me as long as he could, he has since hired an intern and won't return my emails about my job being available any longer. I am still unable to work, my doctor is having my attorney file for disability but I would be happy if he would just be decent and say that he has replaced me. Instead of just ignoring me. Being a veterinary technician is a very grueling job, you are on your feet, basically running all day, on your knees, on the floor, getting bit.

And thats the fun part. So my doctor states since I have no other skills I need to file disablity. On a different note, anyone have the cognitive stuff?? Can't read right, can't remember the day, the date, your appointments??

love to all
Sandra

Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Are you talking about "FIBROFOG". I had so much trouble with this it wasn't even funny! I would put the cornflakes in the frig, take my kid to nursery school only to find he wasn't in the car, etc. etc. I had to take complex notes to keep my job straight. You gotta have a brain, and something goes out the window once you have the dreaded "fibrofog."

Please stay rested! You need it.

Kirstee

Closed Thread