It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
Fibromyalgia and Burning Hands and Feet?

When people with fibromyalgia talk about burning pain, are they referring to "heat" burning, or "acid" burning, (or perhaps both)? A few months after my first acute arthritis episode, I started experiencing burning/stabbing/stinging pain in my hands and feet. I initially thought peripheral neuropathy, and am on a very long waiting list for a nerve conduction test. In the meantime, I'm wondering if something else might be the cause.

In particular, my feet often feel like they are submerged in an acid bath, that acid is flowing up the blood vessels in my legs towards my knees, and that my joints are being eaten by acid. Does this sound like fibromyalgia pain? I was diagnosed with CFS more than 20 years ago. At that time, I was told I also have fibromyalgia, although it seemed to me to be mild since the pain could be controlled by the low-activity lifestyle necessitated by the CFS. Recently, my rheumatologist found 14 of 18 sore trigger points, and mentioned fibromyalgia. However, my primary diagnosis is osteoarthritis, and likely early-stage rheumatoid arthritis.

Associated with the burning pain is extreme redness around all the joints of my feet, and sometimes my entire feet and hands (both sides) are solidly red. I've found a couple of extremely rare illnesses on the internet that seem to describe my symptoms (mast cell disorder or erythromelalgia). But, these are so unlikely, I'm thinking FM might be a better diagnosis to consider. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited by Sensitivo; 09-15-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and Burning Hands and Feet?

I have burning pain. Mine feels like an acidy burn or kinda like a really bad sunburn but on the inside. I have it down the right side of my body. My body doesn't really turn red with the exception of my neck sometimes. If you have 14 of the 18 trigger points, you most likely have Fibro. I hope that helps you.

Last edited by Pammyann; 09-15-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I have a constant burning and tingling feeling in both my hands and feet. The palms of my hands are red as well as the soles of my feet. My joints are not red. That may be part of your RH. I've had several nerve conduction tests (as well as blood tests) and nothing is wrong except an old C6-C8 problem causing some of my problems but not the foot and hand stuff. When it is real bad I soak them in ICE water several times a day. This can be very bothersome both physically and emotionally however it is just one more part of this horrible illness that we must endure. Do get it checked out to make sure it is not something else. Good Luck and Good Health.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
(female)

home sweet home HB User

Sounds like FM to me,as for the redness issue check into raynauds. My feet on bottom gets cherry red at times. home sweet home

Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Home Sweet Home, good point about the Raynauds Syndrome. I have that in my hands. My hands are cold most all of the time, but if they get really warm, they turn bright red.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
(female)

dkennelly2000 HB User

Yes, a burning feeling (like a severe sunburn) is very common. I, too, get the stinging and stabbing pain on occasion. I can't stand it when anyone touches my arms, because it stings like a sunburn.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I am bringing this back up because my hands and feet are driving me nuts. I run my hands under cold water to help and put my feet on my leather couch to cool them. My upper leg muscles hurt along with back pain, and knee and jaw. I did get a diagnosis of fibro, but have wondered about the burning pain. It does travel to my neck and arms, but the hands an feet are really annoying. Sorry others feel it, but glad to know I am not alone.

Closed Thread