It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

sherrie24 HB User
Burning skin sensation

Hi, I'm new to the board and I have a question. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with fibromyalgia, then when my blood work came back and I switched rheumatologist to one closer for traveling, he said I had something else. Since then I have been diagnosed with lupus.

I'm having a very bothersome symptom which the doctor is saying is not lupus related. I am burning on my skin. It feels like it's on fire from under the skin, no rashes, no redness, no heat, actually the hands are cool even. The places I burn are random and there is no time, order or any reason to it. Sometimes it tends to just be on my right side of the body in various places, other times both hands, etc. I just took a medrol dose pack with no relieve for the burning. It's very painful and hard to go about the daily routines.

Is this a symptom of fibro? I really don't take medications for that. I take medication for lupus. Is there anything that would help?

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Burning skin sensation

hi sherrie,
welcome to the boards. i had that same sensation and still do but not like i did for about 3 years. that was several years ago. i never found anything to help. i also do not take any meds for fibro.
i did talk to my body and tell her nothing is wrong. it is just fibro messing with my sensory system. i still talk to my body when i have sensations that make no sense. it helps me to relax and go with the flow of what is.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

NAPPSIE HB User

((Sherrie24)) I have been diagnosed with fibro and I do get that symptom particularly with either my hands or my feet so I have assumed it is fibro. However, if you also have LUPUS I'm not sure how you will always know which illness is showing it's face. Take care....

Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

sherrie24 HB User

Thank you for your replies. I think I will contact my gp. I know it's not life threatening, but it is painful.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

always a good idea to check in with your doctor when you are unsure. hope you feel better soon.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
(female)

dw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB Userdw1961 HB User

I do have that burning sensation from my shoulder to my elbow. At times it gets so bad that I find myself looking down my arms just to make sure there is no fire. When this happens I do like blue and tell myself it's just one of them things. And just make sure no fire shows up. LOL... take care and know it's okay to talk to yourself, people thinks we are crazy folks anyways

Debbie

Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Oh I get the burning too. I have for years.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
(female)

Plane Jane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh1961 View Post
I do have that burning sensation from my shoulder to my elbow. At times it gets so bad that I find myself looking down my arms just to make sure there is no fire. When this happens I do like blue and tell myself it's just one of them things. And just make sure no fire shows up. LOL... take care and know it's okay to talk to yourself, people thinks we are crazy folks anyways

Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Hi - long long time sufferer here with fibro and I absolutely get that...and have for years. For the last two weeks I have had it in my back rib cage area up to shoulder blade down into groin and outer left hip on left side. Also have it to left of my breast on that side and my under arm area. It feels like I have severe sunburn - just the seams on my clothing hitting the areas produces worse pain. It feels to me like the areas are on fire, yet when my husband touches them he says no. Its bizarre just like this entire illness. I also feel in those areas like someone hit me with a baseball bat. Like a giant bruise. Its awful. Motrin seems to take the edge off and I just suffer thru until it passes and something else starts!!!! Hope this helps...

Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User

As said it is a good idea to check with your DR. I have FM and MPs since 1982 and get a lot of the burning, no heat, rash or redness. I have it right now down the outer leg from the hip to ankle on the right side. the chiro told me it is nerve involment from the muscle spasms.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 05-15-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
(female)

sherrie24 HB User

Thanks everyone.

It is good to know I'm not crazy. When I try to tell people they look at you like what? I did tell my rheumatalogist and he prescribed neurotin and it has helped. I still have it, but it's not as constant as it was back in Oct.

Have a great weekend.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
(male)

Dyusten HB User

Yes I had extrem burning sensation of my skin the only thing that ever helped is Celebrex. I recently got a burcitus on my left elbow and my dr prescribed me a very potent antiinflamitory medicin and told me to stop my celebrex . Wow what a mistake that was. I hadn't had that much burning pain for 2 years. Definatly a major fibro flair . I was almost feeling half normal until that mean monster came back.

Closed Thread