It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Question One Dr says Chronic Fatigue the other Fibromyalgia...

I've had probs for 12 yrs, just keep getting more probs. The Fatigue & Brain Fog have been the worst. My body has always felt heavy, sore, tired from the beginning. Aches & Pains have come on slowly. The last few months my upper back, shoulders & neck have become sore. Always sore. Some days hurts more than others. Headches are stronger & more frequent. I notice when I over due it the Headache & neck pain get so bad I have to lay down. Once I rest for abit, especially on my heating pad. I'm able to start moving around.
Well, my primary Dr diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue & Referred me to a Rhumetologist. Friday I seen him. He doesn't seem to believe in Chronic Fatigue. Says if he was to give it a name, he'd say Fibromyalgia. I don't have the tender spots. He ran more blood work which was negative. When the nurse called to give me those results she said it was Chronic Fatigue. I asked if it was that or Fibro. She says Chronic Fatigue. I did some reading & the only difference is that with Chronic Fatigue the Fatigue is the worst, more so than pain. I'm sore but I do think exhaustion is the worst of it.
I have 4 kids & a farm. As my health got worst I've depleted my farm. But still hard to rest with so much to do. Plus I have a bad back. The Rhumetologist has me on a resting plan... Do stuff for 15 mins, rest for 2 hrs, busy for 15, rest for 2 hrs & so on. I'm to exercise 5 mins 3x a week. It's my understanding I should start to feel better. Will I ever be someone normal. Will I always have to pace myself? He also mentioned that if I don't have Fibro now, I will soon... What's that mean? I understand I have to learn or I will just keep getting worst.
He has me on Cymbalta & a muscle relaxer to help me sleep.
Anyhow, just curious what exactly is going on. He's a great Doc but I'm alittle confused...

Last edited by thefarm; 10-26-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: One Dr says Chronic Fatigue the other Fibromyalgia...

My practitioner thinks I have both. The Chronic Fatigue and achiness started after the birthd of my third child in 1992 (I have 4 children too). I complained, but my doc blew me off as a busy mom with three young girls. After a few years, I started to develop allergies, IBS, and tremors, so I saw a number of doctors and had many tests. The only one that came back positive was my thyroid and I take a med for it. Have you had that checked? I recommend it if you haven't.

It wasn't until when the nerve pain set in in 2006, and that I really was down for the count, and I was officially diagnosed with Fibro and Chronic Fatigue. I take a combo of Cymbalta and Lyrica which works pretty well. I have hydrocodone for break through pain also. I take generic adderall for fatigue and it helps quite a bit. It takes a long time to find out what works for you.

I hope this helps some and I hope you don't develop Fibro too.

Hugs,
Pam

Last edited by Pammyann; 10-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyann View Post
My practitioner thinks I have both. The Chronic Fatigue and achiness started after the birthd of my third child in 1992 (I have 4 children too). I complained, but my doc blew me off as a busy mom with three young girls. After a few years, I started to develop allergies, IBS, and tremors, so I saw a number of doctors and had many tests. The only one that came back positive was my thyroid and I take a med for it. Have you had that checked? I recommend it if you haven't.

It wasn't until when the nerve pain set in in 2006, and that I really was down for the count, and I was officially diagnosed with Fibro and Chronic Fatigue. I take a combo of Cymbalta and Lyrica which works pretty well. I have hydrocodone for break through pain also. I take generic adderall for fatigue and it helps quite a bit. It takes a long time to find out what works for you.

I hope this helps some and I hope you don't develop Fibro too.

Hugs,
Pam
Thank You Pam
Each Dr I went to looked at me like I was nuts, avoided the whole topic or ran some labs & sent me on my way. It's been very frustrating. I've spent almost 12 yrs trying to figure out what was going on.
Allergies are crazy... At one point Smoke made me very ill. Was like that for awhile then passed. Another time milk products. At one point Sugar wouldn't give me a sugar high, it's knocked me out. I've always been allergic to wheat gluten & wheat starch. Now I'm completely gluten free. That's helped me manage the IBS, much better.
I've been treated for Hypothyroidism since 2003. I do better on the natural Thyroid like Armour, but hard to get. So, order it elsewhere. I usually have the cold intolerance, dry, brittle hair, hair loss, ect.
I'm taking Thyroid-S, Cymbalta, & Cyclobenzapr. I take Tramadol only when absolutely needed. I have a Severe Degenerative Disk & Arthritis. The Dr I was seeing is an idiot so in the process to switching to a Neurologist. He says the pain is from the inflammation, but no anti-inflammatory drugs help. I'm sure there is something else going on also.
Did I mention I'm only 30? lol
My husband is trying to be understanding. Up till now he was making things more stressful. I know it's hard for him to understand when I have such a hard time with it myself.
Have you been able to improve any? I have pushed myself so much & for so long, it's been hard resting for 2 hours. It's been nice though. I've noticed I haven't been hurting as much. I've over done it some. But I'm really trying...
Anyhow, it's nice to have some to talk to about this. I really do appreciate any advice!

P.S.~ They tried me on Neutotin... It helped with the pain, but I was more stressed, very grumpy.

Last edited by thefarm; 10-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
Pammyann (10-27-2010)
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Huggies to you! My fibro doc says CFS and FMS are the same thing (FMS). Who knows. . .

Kirstee

Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstee View Post
Huggies to you! My fibro doc says CFS and FMS are the same thing (FMS). Who knows. . .

Kirstee
I have a cousin who has CFS and her sister has Lupus and FMS, and I have Lupus and FMS. I think they're all related in some way. I always considered CFS as the same as FMS but without any pain. But, that was my own conclusion. There is also fatigue and joint pain with Lupus, plus the possibility of skin and organ involvement.

My cousin with CFS came down with it after a bad respiratory infection (virus), which is typical of all of these disorders. I guess I inherited the bad genes on my father's side of the family.

Once I figured out which medications helped, then I got better, and eventually was in somewhat of a remission. Viruses and stress seem to make me flare, and doing stupid things like stopping my SSRI, but then I start doing better, sometimes simmering for awhile. But, I know it will never go away.

It is really great to have good support. Sometimes spouses and children are too close to the situation and only see that their laundry isn't done, the house is not clean, or their food is not prepared. I would say that my kids are a bit spoiled and selfish, but that's teenagers for you. I'm still working on training them for times when I'm too sick to do those things.

As for me, sometimes I am able to accomplish a lot, but I do have to remember to take care of myself and not over do. This disorder makes you have to take care of yourself- but you should anyway.

Stress reduction through meditation has helped me to learn how to relax my brain and my muscles. Hopefully, through practice, it will become second nature and stress won't play such a dominant role in triggering my flares. As for the viruses. Well, I try to stay away from sick friends- using hand sanitizer and washing. I'm not quite germaphobic, but so far, everyone in my family has been sick with a cold but me. Knock on wood.

Here are a few of the things I do. Hope you can keep my suggestions in mind and that they will help you stay well.
Best Wishes,

Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You Kirstee & Sunsetnan

My Rhumetologist doesn't seem to believe in the Chronic Fatigue. He mentioned it as a symptom. But his nurse said I have that. I get the impression they are pretty much the same thing.
My body never actually hurt until more recently. My body has been heavy, sore & tired. Pains are more recent. But I read an article describing the pain. Mine isn't that bad. However, if I over due it, I hurt.
I've been trying to keep my stress level down. I'm usually pretty busy & always on the go. I've made myself get stuff completed for so long. I have slowed down allot the last few months because it's got so bad. I've found that resting like the Dr says, I'm doing better. I'm not as stressed & overwhelmed. It's been hard & I've been busier than I'm supposed to. But there is so much to get done. But I've found that I'm probably easier to get along with since I am resting.

I bet it's nice to be able to talk to your cousins about this. Support... I understand how kids are... I have 4, husband makes 5 lol He's a great guy but they are all so demanding... Like I'm superwomen... For 12 yrs I've focused on everyone else but myself. I am finding that I need to take care of myself just as much. I'm no good to them otherwise.

Is getting any virus you come in contact with normal for CFS & FM? I used to have a strong immunity. Any more it seems like if someone is sick I will get it & much worst.

Sunsetnan (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartinfarm View Post
Thank You Kirstee & Sunsetnan
...Is getting any virus you come in contact with normal for CFS & FM? I used to have a strong immunity. Any more it seems like if someone is sick I will get it & much worst.
I used to get everything around me. And, I worked at a hospital pediatric ward for 20 years! I got exposed to some nasty things, one of which laid me up for nearly a year and later another led me to end up on SS disability. It was also bad when my kids were younger. Now, I guess we've both built up immunities, so it's not as often but when I do get sick, it's much worse than everyone else and usually triggers a flare. This last respiratory infection left a nodule on my lung. I go Friday to get a total body PET scan to rule out it being anything worse.

So, just this morning my youngest announced to me that he thinks he's getting a cold. I felt like putting my fingers in the form of a cross to ward off the germs! lol Gotta go buy the anti-viral tissues again. Where is that hand sanitizer, anyway?
Best Wishes for staying well this winter!

Last edited by Sunsetnan; 10-27-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetnan View Post
I used to get everything around me. And, I worked at a hospital pediatric ward for 20 years! I got exposed to some nasty things, one of which laid me up for nearly a year and later another led me to end up on SS disability. It was also bad when my kids were younger. Now, I guess we've both built up immunities, so it's not as often but when I do get sick, it's much worse than everyone else and usually triggers a flare. This last respiratory infection left a nodule on my lung. I go Friday to get a total body PET scan to rule out it being anything worse.

So, just this morning my youngest announced to me that he thinks he's getting a cold. I felt like putting my fingers in the form of a cross to ward off the germs! lol Gotta go buy the anti-viral tissues again. Where is that hand sanitizer, anyway?
Best Wishes for staying well this winter!
Have you tried Alovera & Vitamin C? Seems to help... I'm definetly on a Vitamin kick these days. I had to stop Calcium because I think I was getting too much...

My husband wants me to apply for disability because of this & my bad back. I'm thinking about it. I have worked on building our farm (raising Farm & Game Birds), but it has become to much. I've had to cut back allot... I've worked so hard & hate giving up. But it's just too much... I have been so proud of how much I accomplished... I have become a procrastinator these days. I think I'm worried of going through all the work to just be turned down. I guess I try to focus my energy on the important stuff.
I'm also in the process of getting a stronger diagnosis. Also trying a new Dr for my back. If my old Dr will ever send the referral... ugh.

I'm new to the board. I'm sorry if I talk to much. It's just nice to be able to talk about this & meet others in the same situation...

Pammyann (10-27-2010)
Closed Thread