It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
does anyone have trouble swallowing with out liquids/panic attacks

Does anyone have trouble swallowing without drinking anything? it all started when I was having some constipation and I got some over the counter Methuselah drink it's like a drink you mix with crystals and i read if you have trouble swallowing, and you could choak if you don't have enough water with it. I suffer from bad panic attacks am on med's for them. whenever i see something like that I freak out. and I had difficulty swallowing the drink did not like it at all. i'm not drinking it at all now. now every once in a while I have trouble specially when i'm dry. like today I had a hot cup of tea and after I drank it took a few gulps to swallow. I have no trouble with liquids. and having trouble swallowing is a side effect of panic attacks. I just never had this symptom before.

sorry this is so long. LOL

Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User
Re: does anyone have trouble swallowing with out liquids/panic attacks

When I was first diagnosed, I took metamucil for constipation. It is thick and you must drink it with lots of water and I had trouble swallowing. I panicked which made it worse. When I told my Physical Therapist about this, she said she thought I was having spasms in my chest and throat area which caused it. Once I went through the PT program and started to get better, it subsided. However, I gave up the metamucil to make sure it didn't happen again and it hasn't . I take Miralax for constipation if I need something as it is not thick.

Last edited by Pammyann; 11-22-2010 at 12:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyann View Post
When I was first diagnosed, I took metamucil for constipation. It is thick and you must drink it with lots of water and I had trouble swallowing. I panicked which made it worse. When I told my Physical Therapist about this, she said she thought I was having spasms in my chest and throat area which caused it. Once I went through the PT program and started to get better, it subsided. However, I gave up the metamucil to make sure it didn't happen again and it hasn't . I take Miralax for constipation if I need something as it is not thick.
yea i don't like that drink at all. very scarry. my throat has been pretty good. i guess when you think about it. it can be worse. what's a pt program?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I don't take any bulking agents like that. How about making a milkshake or some juice and blend it with the medicine? You could drink it in small batches, and it wouldn't be so coagulated.

I have great trouble swallowing. Liquid is easier, but sometimes my throat will close and I can't get anything down. I have some Xanax for these times. I can't eat crackers or bread without mushing them in liquid first. It is anxiety for me, too. My doctor said it's called Globus Hystericus. Just more proof that we are just neurotics imagining our symptoms!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

I have lots of throat issues. Not sure if its fibro or the c3 neck problem. Could be acid reflux also.

Closed Thread