It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Question How to lose weight with Fibro?

For as long as I can remember I have blaimed my thyroid for weight gain. I will put on a bunch of weight out of no-where. My diet doesn't change, activity, ect. Then I can't lose it. The last time it all of a sudden melted off. I lost 55 pounds. Then I was pregnant last year, did great! Gained 25 pounds while pregnant. Lost 15, then gained it back! No idea how it happens, just does. So, I really need to lose weight. My Rhumetologist put me on a rest schedule. I'm to exercise 5 mins, 3x per week. How do I speed up my metabolism? Is it my Thyroid of Fibro that causes this? It's depressing...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: How to lose weight with Fibro?

There is a lot that goes along with getting your thyroid to help with your weight loss. The problem is docs don't want to talk about that and do not treat for it. That said, as long as you have your thyroid in a healthy range for YOU.....not what the doc thinks.....then you can begin to work on what is causing your up and down weight problems. There are certain foods that help you with metabolism and you can find those on the internet. The one that is the all time best for me is oatmeal....yes.....oatmeal. It is high in fiber and metabolizes slowly, which keeps me feeling full and not wanting to snack. It also keeps my metabolism working which is how you get and keep the weight off. Of course you also have to eat low fat and low sugar etc. I keep a food journal and count calories until I get to a time when I can just do it without thinking.

We all also get to an age when we must exercise or exercise more to get or keep the weight off. And that is what I do, but you have to work at exercise that fits with how you feel and your fibro. Some people with fibro gain a lot of weight, I have read as much as 60 lbs. and I was one of those people. So I struggle every day to get my weight back down. I also have age against me. I am post menopausal and that does not help.

Now all that said, you need to check your meds to see if any of those are causing weight gain, or can cause weight gain. Thyroid meds if they don't agree with you can cause a problem. For instance my body does not like synthroid, I feel terrible when I take it and I gain weight when I take it despite my best efforts. Of course when I am taking it I feel so lousy my efforts to lose weight are not that good.

I know this is a lot of 'no real answers' for you. Believe me I feel your frustration. I have been dealing with it for years. It is a constant battle, but one that can be won if we find our trigger food (the one that makes us want to eat more), mine is doughnuts. I have to stay away from doughnuts and sugary things. I have to stay under 1200 calories a day, I have to spend minimum 30min on my treadmill 4 -5 times a week, plus other exercise. And I have to keep my TSH (thyroid) in almost hyper ranges. That is a lot to do when you have a family and a life to live. Don't give up!

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User

Thanks for your question. I really wish I had the answer because with all the meds I take, I've really gained weight. And it is so hard to take off, even with exercise. I thought it was just because I am menopausal, but I DO believe the meds have something to do with it. I watch what I eat, do exercise, primarily walking. Because of all the aches and pains, I'm really not able to do much in the way of exercise. If anyone has a remedy or what we should do about this problem, please let me know. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

Lori777 HB User

themartinfarm, I'm wondering why your doctor is only letting you exercise for five minutes per day because regular exercise and eating healthy and less is how I lost weight.

I was always thin and then I began to have to take medications when I was 27 and my metabolism slowed down. Long, long story short... I lost and gained and lost and then gained a bit and then all my pain began with a benign tumor on my spine in July 2006. Another long story short.. finally but early 2007, I and my regular physician realized I had fibro and also myofascial pain syndrome. And I have two degenerative discs. I just ate and ate and gained and new that it wasn't helping, but I hurt too much too move.

I finally got a good neurologist in September 2008 and he wanted me to lose weight and also do something aquatic. The only thing he told me about exercise was if I did anything like lifting something, etc., to start with only five repetitions and then slowly add.

I went to a chart I had and chose the 1,500 calorie diet and wrote down everything I ate. I went to the pool and did water aerobics, and at hoe on the days I did not go to the pool, I rode my recumbent bike for about 20 minutes.

I began losing weight... and I kept at it. While at the pool, I also swam a bit and by March, 2009 I began swimming laps for 30 minutes and did my bike that long. Later (and now) I do 45 minutes on both. I stil watch my food and calories, but I am not on a diet -- I am on a lifestyle change -- eat helayt and at times I DO have a cookie, ice cream, etc. i have lost 67 pounds and am in the size clothes I wore when I was in my twenties!

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think a lot of us blame our thyroid and other things. I even take Lyrica and I heard, "oh, you gain on that"! Well, I have learned that I have to endure some pain AFTER I swim (swimming is wonderful) because right now I've been having neck problems, but I do feel better when I exercise and that is one of the big things that makes your metabolism go faster. I'm also putting on lean muscle mass and that makes your metabolism go faster too.

Oh, and I have some weeks when I swim once and bike once because the pain is so bad, but I try to not let it beat me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lori777 For This Useful Post:
Glojer (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Lori I agree with everything you said, that was great. I don't do water anything.....except shower of course....giggle! I do love my treadmill and I agree with you that it is a long struggle and you have to build good lean muscle as you progress.

However if you are hypothyroid no matter how hard you work, you efforts will show either no progress or so little progress that frustration sets in whether you want it to or not. I know this first hand. Having a healthy thyroid will not make you lose weight without the effort, but with a healthy thyroid your efforts show results when you put in the effort.

Sounds like you have gone the distance and put in maximum effort, congratulations for fighting the fibro beast and showing it who is boss.....giggle!

Glojer

Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
(female)

Lori777 HB User

Thanks so much for replying and for giving me some more info on those with a "hypothyroid". I was quite sure that its was where regardless of how hard you work and eat less, you efforts will show either no progress or so little progress. I understand why those people can get very upset.

What I believe gets me frustrated are those that say that they can't exercise and can't lose weight but they are eating take out foods and not moving at all. Some of them blame their thyroid when it's just their be lazy. Now, as you feel, I'm sure, there are days you just want to go back to bed.. but we try to keep moving.

I'm having a bit of a rough time with my fibro fog, so I hope that this made sense.

I'm new (read a bit) and never have introduced myself.. I need to do that.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been busy & when not running, resting.
I've had probs since January 1999. I've spent this whole time, up until about 2 months ago, trying to figure out what was going on. I have researched constantly, many tests, many Dr's. They'd run tests & didn't want to deal with me. It wasn't until recently I put my foot down and said "no more"! I have spent allot of $ trying to figure out what was wrong. Dammit, it was time they helped me!
So, I finally found good Dr's!
Anyhow, at first it was just Brain Fog & Fatigue. I went from healthy, happy, active to feeling like I was hit by a truck. My world came to a sudden stop. For almost 12 yrs I've floated through life. I have struggled to live a normal life. I have set goals & done everything I could to succeed.
In 2003 I was treated for Thyroid. It helps, but not much. It takes months to a year to get it somewhat normal. I was feeling alittle better by the end of 2003 & divorced my rotten Ex. But, he made life Hell for years... It was awful. I have a wonderful husband now. Because of him my Ex can't run over me. But with kids, the court has aloud him to make life difficult. I have custody of the kids. I have medical on them. I do all transporting for Wednesday meals with him, 2 hours I have to kill plus 1 hr driving... Every Wednesday... I drop them off every weekend & pick them up, more hours of driving. Yet, he claims them on taxes! Yup! I need to take him back to court & fight but after 5 straight years of battling it out, I just don't have the mental energy any more.
Anyhow... Back on subject...
I did great through the last pregnancy. It was afterward... It has damaged my back more then I believe I had Chronic Fatigue which is now Fibro.
My Thyroid was doing ok. Then BAM, MY Dr switched my meds & I gained weight like Crazy. I am back to self treating. I buy my meds over seas... That's the only way I can get it straighten out & feel alittle better.
When my Thyroid is low I don't have to change anything, weight just packs on. I lose hair, nails are brittle, I'm even more tired & my biggest sign... I'm freezing! Yup, everyone could be in shorts, summer time & I have 3 layers on, a hood, ect & still cold. It's a bone chilling cold. Even soaking in a hot bath my bones are freezing...
I could eat nothing but salads, fruit & protein & not lose anything.
For activity... I was extremely active until a year ago. The last year has been tough but still kept busy. I have 4 kids & a farm. Even while pregnant I was constantly on the go from around 8am till 8-10 pm. I believe I had Chronic Fatigue at the time. I felt like if I stopped & sat down, I wouldn't get up. I pushed myself for years... No matter what hurt or how tired I was. The last few months have been the worst. Pains started setting in. I especially have it in my lower back (the bad area) then my upper back, neck & shoulders.
My Rhumetologist says I need to rest. I actually cried because I didn't know how I was supposed to do that. Luckily, since about August I've depleted our farm allot. My work load was half what it was... So, I've depleted even more. I make myself rest. Cymbolta has helped with the stress. I'm not constantly thinking what I need to do, stress, or think constantly about finances, ect.
For exercise I'm to do 5 mins, 3 times per week. As it gets easier, I'll do more. He wants me to do this because I'm having to learn to rest & not push myself. I also wasn't exercising before because I was always busy. Something to do with Seratonin I believe. Basically I'm having to mentally & physically rest & learn to pace myself.
Since doing this I haven't had the headaches like I was. I do have my stressful days & I pay for them... I was so used to feeling flat out awful, you learn to live with it...
Anyhow, I could go on & on. But my lovely husband is impatient. I love him, but he does not make things easy.
Sorry, I'm having a hard time emotionally right now. Usually much better, not usually so depressed.
Anyhow, I have to go cater to my husbands every need. I hope I answered your question. It's been hard to considerate with my husband acting like one of our children.

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
Lori777 (12-01-2010)
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lori, you are right about some people. They don't seem to realize how much bad food they eat. I have been guilty of that myself, that is why I write down every day what I eat. The days I don't write things down are the days I know I am overdoing it, because I am not home and running and going.

The thyroid issue is very tricky. It does more than regulate your weight, and really if you want to lose weight by taking thyroid meds......well that just doesn't work. Thyroid regulates a lot of things in your body and you have to get these things running right and then you can feel well enough to work on other issues, like weight.

MartinFarm, I know what you mean about freezing, hair loss, brittle hair etc. How about joint pain and the horrendous fatigue. It took me almost 7yrs. to get my thyroid numbers right for me. I am on my second endo and luckily she is working out real well.

There are so many things to consider when wanting to fight the battle of the bulge. Getting enough sleep and yes Lori I get up many mornings and get going on the treadmill when I don't think I can. And yes there are days when I say not today, my body can't take it.

You have heard the expression 'old age is not for sissys'. We need to use that expression and say, ' fibro is not for sissys'. Getting up everyday and keeping the faith and keep on going is what it is all about.

Glojer

Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
(female)

Lori777 HB User

themartinfarm,

I'm so glad that you replied so that I know that you do have a thyroid problem. I wasn't clear on that in the first post at all, and being new, I'm learning who is who. I have read (as most of us have) so much about pain and relief and they thyroid, so I have a vague idea of what you are going through. It must be so frustrating to eat so low in calories and not even see the weight come off. I guess the most you can do is be healthy.

You sounded so much like me in the first part of your post. I had surgery for a benign tumor on my spine four years ago, and even getting to that doctor (who is SO wonderful) was a project. I was amazed at how poorly I got treated by one neurologist... like the pain was in my head.. even tough I had an MRI with me. Then after the surgery when I went to PT, that's when all my symptoms for Myofascial Pain syndrome began and then Fibro. And boy, what a thing that was, but that's for another time..

I'm so, so sorry to hear how you are treated by your ex and the stress of your busy day. That doesn't help much at all. Right now I know that I have to take a day or two off when I'm flaring up a lot or I'll just get worse. I'm in the midst of something now, but I hope I make sense. I'm so glad that you replied so that I understand more.

We have to hang in there together. And we all need the support.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You
I have to agree, there are allot of people that eat fast or prepared foods. Then there is chips, pop, candy, ect. Many need to also learn portion control. I know some people that think they are not full unless their stomach hurts... There is allot of people that put on weight because of those reasons... Like the people on Biggest Loser (I love that show!). But, there are also many people that eat like a bird, exercise & can't lose. Usually there is an underlying health condition...
We've always eat pretty healthy. I have never been one to buy prepared foods or eat fast food. I have never kept chips in the house. I don't buy pop & candy is a rare treat for the kids. They only get healthy snacks & even juice is monitored. With the exception of my vegetarian daughter, we are pretty much meat & veggies with a helping of fruit daily. The only Fast food we get is Subway (yum!).
Anyhow, some people are overweight by their own fault. Others because of untreated health problems. I really blaim Dr's for that... Thyroid is especially under-diagnosed.
I'm only 5' 2". I don't look overweight which I think is also why my Dr isn't concerned. But, for me I need to get down to 125-130. That's my healthy weight. Being short just 5 pounds makes a big difference...
What kind of Dr helped you with your spine? That sounds awful! How are you doing now?
I hurt my back on the job is 05, heavy lifting. Long story short I have a Severe Degenerative disk, which is pretty common. But mine is very thin & painful. I'm not aloud to lift over 20#. I also have Arthritis in my back. When I was diagnosed my back was misaligned in 2 places so had bone rubbing on bone. My Chiropractor helped straighten it some, but still not straight. Took 4 months to get that much done...
The Dr I seen after him said that the reason it hurts so much along my lower back is because of Inflammation. But, no Anti-Inflammatory works... My Rhumetologist says that the test that was done to see if I had inflammation was negative so that can't be it... So, not sure what is going on. I seen a Neurologist but she was an idiot. Was more concerned with the Fibro & no help with my back. Didn't seem to take my back condition seriously. I snapped at her because she made me so mad, she walked out! lol I was so mad I wasted 3 hours driving to see her for nothing... So, I give up on back Dr's... I'm kinda wandering if the pain is more from the Fibro. If that's the case, nothing else I can do about it...
Anyhow, Welcome to the board You will find that everyone here is very kind, supportive & helpful. It's nice to communicate with others that know what you are going through. Our family & friends may try to be understanding & supportive, but it's really hard for them to actually understand.

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
Lori777 (12-02-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
(female)

Lori777 HB User

I can't agree with you more about what you've said about eating, etc. I also love The Biggest Loser, and I have definitely learned some tips from the show. I don't, however, give up all sweets forever and do a few other things that they suggest, but most all that they share is pretty sound and it's helped me. My stand on sweets is to cute way back, if it had been a problem for you, but I don't deprive myself. I can have a square of chocolate once every few days and I'm in heave!! And I was shocked at how incredible it tasted. Anyway..

>What kind of Dr helped you with your spine? That sounds awful! How are you doing now?<

I went from one to another and then to an orthopedic doctor and when he saw what he did, he referred me to my neurosurgeon who did the surgery. He is just wonderful!! I see him once a year because they do an MRI to make sure that nothing grows back. The worst part of the surgery was my time in the hospital. I had to lie flat (I could like on my sides, but I couldn't lift my head for two days. That is what they do with all spinal surgeries. I made the mistake of saying I had a bit of a headache the day I was supposed to sit up because I did.. it was from having no caffeine. But, then I had to wait one more day. I remember that Sunday feeling like I was going to go bonkers because of the pain, but finally they let me sit up. Yes, it was sore at home, but I could move

I went to PT and then had knots in my back and just seemed to be having all kinds of pain. Oh, I also have two degenerative discs in my back.

Long story... figure out myself that I had myofasial pain syndrome and then when for some pain shots that didn't' work and had this doctor asking me if I had Fibromyalgia. As i said to him, "you're asking me? Isn't that for you t o check?" Noo, he just gave injections. I stopped going to him. I got worse all year and by 2008 (Summer) my general doctor and i know I had Fibromyalgia. It was so bad in that Summer, well, I wanted to do anything to stop the pain.. and I'll leave it at that.

However, I finally found help and so much more when I went to my second (the first was useless and told me, "there's nothing I can do for you". Gee, thanks.. But, then I got to my present doctor who is a neurologist and he treats all the above things I talked about and finally gave me my "official" fibro diagnosis.

I've slowly been developing a neck problem, and he has tested and tested and nothing seems to be wrong with my muscles, but the back of my neck is so stiff I can barely keep my head up. I am getting injections of Botox for it on Monday to relax those muscles. Until then, I really can't be online too long and I now am in need to finish writing this.. Forgive me if I seemed like I didn't reply to what you wrote.. I i did read and I surely can feel for all our frustration and pain.

I wish they had a hug or heart icon :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to Lori777:
thefarm (12-02-2010)
Closed Thread