It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Nerve Problems FMS?

I am having multiple nerve problems, all over tingling, all over shooting pain, burning pain, get numbness in my neck, tightness in organs, back, chest, muscle spasms, I got a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia like 10 years ago and my doctor told me today he thinks that is what is causing the nerve related problems, yet would not treat it. Would rather I talk to a rhematologist which is going to take 4 to 5 months to get in to see. I have had pain to localize around my bladder, and I am having vaginal pressure. I also have incontinence and my gyn is talking about doing a bladder sling though I don't have a prolapsed bladder (have had 2 repairs in the past). If this is a nerve issue causing that pain/pressure, then I don't want surgery, but I can't really find out since he wouldn't prescribe me the medication now can I? Oh my god! I sware. How stupid is it that i am going to have to go have surgery just to see if it'll relieve my symptoms. I didn't tell him about the surgery issue because I forgot. But there is still no good reason he couldn't have prescribed Lyrica or Neurontin to see if it would help.

Last edited by neveragain444; 11-29-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User
Re: Nerve Problems FMS?

Neveragain,
Sorry you are suffering. I have fibromyalgia and it affects my bladder and pelvic muscles and pelvic floor where I suffer from chronic pelvic pain. Listen, if you do not want the bladder sling surgery, don't submit to it! Surgery should always be the last option. Believe me, before I knew what was going on with my body I thought surgery was the answer and it wasn't - pain persisted and nothing helped - hysterectomy, two laparoscopies, etc. I'm so done with physicians and procedures. I realize this is a nerve generated issue that has hypersensitized the central nervous system and spinal cord so no amount of surgery is going to correct it.
You need to be your own health care advocate and the physician should be a partner in your care. Ask questions, get second opinions, and research, research, research! You need to tell your gyno. about the two previous bladder sling surgeries. You need to have a physician try to treat you conservatively first by trying medications for fibro and pain such as Neurontin or an antidepressant to bring down the pain level. I take Savella for fibro and it works fairly well. Cymbalta also worked well for me, but a side effect for me was hair loss so I had to go off it. Benzodiazeprines such as Clonazepam works well for me to calm down the hypersensitivity which decreases the pain. I see a pain management doctor and a rheumatologist. Sometimes you have to have more than one doctor on your team treating you. Besides meds, exercise helps, eating healthy nutritious food (sugar inflames) massage and trying to reduce stress as much as possible. Hope this helps and never settle for a medical treatment you are unsure of. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Well now I don't know if I need that surgery or not, or if nerve medication may of helped me. I am having urodynamics testing at the end of the month and next mth I see my gyn to discuss the surgery. How am I supposed to say no if there is that slim possibility it could help. I already told her I thought my problem might be nerve related but she thought I was referring to a neurogenic bladder, and I wasn't, these problems are all over. She knows I've had two bladder repairs. Guess she thinks it failed since it's not helping the incontinence, which I didn't even have until she did a retrocele repair in July, go figure, they said they didn't even touch my bladder but I developed incontinence pretty bad after the surgery. It's better now and I don't think I need surgery for it. But that pressure and pain, I know could be my nerves, but I also know that always existed past issue from past prolapses, and was fixed through surgery. But the retrocele didn't fix this. And she said nothing is prolapsed now. Now I partially believe her, on the other hand, I have a seriously hard time believing it. I cannot make a good judgement about whether I should go through with surgery. My doctor isn't going to give me that medication, he said it's hard to treat not knowing the cause behind it, that is why he wants me talking to a rhematologist first, to see if he thinks it may be due to fibromyalgia. But that will be god next year some time. And he will probably say I don't even have fibromyalgia because if he conducts the tenderpoint test as rhemy's usually do, I will fail it as I always have. My doctor diagnosed it based on all over muscle pain, not on that test, but I also have a connective tissue disease, I had to find out on my own I have.. Isn't there tests to determine if you have nerve disease like Electromyogram and Nerve Conduction Studies.. The patient in the next room was getting a Nerve Conduction Study. Why couldn't I? Another one getting a lung test. I haven't been able to breathe right all year. But I'm getting fat, I need to lose weight. Let's throw out the 22 years 3 packs of cigarettes a day thing. I don't think the weight thing helps but the breathing problems started before the weight came on. I just got really ****** sitting up there today. I didn't mean to. Just sometimes, I'd like my problems to be taken a little more seriously than they are.

Last edited by neveragain444; 11-29-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have another problem with this nerve related pain, it intensifies after starting a new medication, and it's not just a particular pill, about a month and half ago it was from my plaquenil, now it's worsening after taking Trazodone for the first time tonight. Anyone have any idea why it would do that?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
(female)

Did they mention if it could be interstitial cystitis? Ask your doctor about that regarding your bladder.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have IC and mild chronic inflammation. But that is not causing this. I have also tried different medications for overactive bladder, not at all helpful. Last night after I took the Trazodone for the first time, all those nerve problems got worse & I already have chronic pain around my bladder but this set it off and made it 50 times worse. That is not due to IC.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
(female)

I also have IC besides fibro. Hope you get some answers real soon. Hang in there.

Closed Thread