It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

jessimessi HB User
Prialt Pump???

so, I had my first pain management appt today, and I got the riot act read to me about using narcotics long term. Even, so, she increased my narcotics to 7.5 mg hydrocodone 3 times a day. The PA did not recommend any other treatment or conservative management, just talk about a Prialt pump? I am concerned that she would go directly into recommending inserting a foreign body into my hip that managing my pain as conservatively as possible. Has anyone had this procedure done or any experience with the trial injection? Any input would be much appreciated,a s I am to come back in 20 days to give her my "answer"

The following user gives a hug of support to jessimessi:
snowgoer68 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Prialt Pump???

hi jessimessi,
i did some reading up on it. have you? remember this is your body and only you decide what you will allow done to her, not a doctor. i was not impressed by what i read and for the first visit, that's one big leap. be cautious please as you think about your options. the potential problems and side affects stopped me cold. there are alot of them.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessimessi View Post
. The PA did not recommend any other treatment or conservative management, just talk about a Prialt pump? I am concerned that she would go directly into recommending inserting a foreign body into my hip that managing my pain as conservatively as possible.
Wow, that sounds pretty extreme to me....not so sure about that.

just read a little about it....says it is for patients that are "intolerant of or refractory to other treatment" ...dang...don't think I would want to go from Lortab to that. Seems drastic. Looks to me like it is a last resort kind of thing. Opiates are not THAT bad, for goodness sake. I would be wary....

Last edited by biogirl71; 12-21-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
(female)

snowgoer68 HB User

There's not many Pain Doctors who would ever even consider going from 3 vicodin 7.5 a day to a PRIALT PUMP!! Your pain needs to be treated with more opiates and see if you get good control. If you get good pain control on lets say ms-contin long lasting morphine, or even from the vicodin ES then you should remain on that. If you need more and more opiates and they do help relieve the pain one would try the intrathecal pain pump first with morphine and other drugs tried first. Then if those fail a prialt trial would be done. This is how I understand it. Prialt is very expensive and most insurances want a pump trial with opiates tried first. If you are allergic or have severe side limiting effects then a prialt trial is warranted. I myself am working up the scale of things to try before the prialt. The prialt scares me to death from things I've read from others. I have been on 120mg of methadone for severe burning pain called phantom pain for 15 years and roxicodone for breakthrough. I also take lyrica 100mg 3x day I am an above knee amputee. I have endured 68 operations, 23 broken bones, 1400 plus days in the hospital, 4 months in traction in the burn unit due to my complete degloving injury that all started 1981 and I was hit by a car in 1983 and my leg was finally taken 1996. The phantom pain has been the hardest thing to deal with compared to all I have endured. Having one leg is an inconvenience, but living with excruciating pain has effected every aspect of my life. I will keep you all who suffer in my prayers. I'm here for you
Staci
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (16.0 KB, 1 views)

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: snowgoer68
biogirl71 (12-23-2010), catkaru (12-23-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to snowgoer68 For This Useful Post:
catkaru (12-23-2010)
Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

God bless you.
Cat

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 12-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Snowgoer, bless you. Many prayers and hugs. Great advice about that pump....thought it sounded extreme.

Closed Thread