It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
(male)

techguy HB User
Low Core Temperature and High Skin Temperature

This may not seem like a fibro issue but I read the low core temp is a common fibro symptom. I took my temps for two weeks many times during the day. It was never 98.6F. The average was about 96.8. That doesn't bother me too much unless it's the root cause of a chronic immune system weakness. The really annoying thing is my skin temp gets very high very often. It's a chronic problem.

Although untested with a skin thermometer because I have not found one, it is often almost hot to touch. I have to use cooling pads all the time, sitting on them while I work and having one under my head while I sleep.

I rarely can sleep through the entire night. When I wake up I feel too hot. The side I slept on is especially hot, and sometimes it takes half an hour to cool down enough to get back to sleep. Sometimes I just can't get back to sleep. This causes chronic fatigue and ruins the entire day.

What on earth could be causing the simultaneous combination of low core temperature and high skin temperature?!

I am guessing there is some kind of vasoconstriction, but why? The heat always seems trapped and can't dissipate or circulate. I never had this problem when I was a kid. In the last year it's got worse. Now my stomach, legs, and feet heat up and they didn't a year ago.

Blood pressure, heart rate, etc., are all normal. Nothing showed up in testing to explain the mystery.

I've noticed lately that I have a problem with chronic hyperventilation. The breathing rate when I wake up can get as high as 120 breaths/minute (two/second). That is 10x normal. Hyperventilation is known to cause vasoconstriction, but what could be causing the hyperventilation in the first place?

Something in my autonomic nervous system seems haywire. Anybody heard of low core temperature and high skin temperature? I Googled it and found something on injection molding!

P.S. Hyperventilation, I read, causes excess salivation. This is a chronic problem, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User
Re: Low Core Temperature and High Skin Temperature

Hey there.
I don't really think I can help you out but wonder if you are on any meds which could be causing you to heat up? My body temp is usually below "normal" as well. But that is not at all uncommon. Hormone issues can cause the same. I am battling hot flashes all the time but I am a 50 year old woman, so that isn't the root of your problem I gather. lol. Hyperventilating is usually caused by stress as far as I know, maybe your heat issue is stress related? I would talk to your doctor. I know during my hot flashes my core temp remains normal. It only feels like I could cook a meal on my face. I know certain meds cause sweating, the one I think of right off that I used to be on is trazodone. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, maybe some of the other posters here will be of more assistance.
peace and love
Sandra

Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

have you had your testosterone levels checked? just a thought.
peace,
blue

Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I have low temps, 96-97 is pretty normal for me. Have you had your thyroid checked? I'm Hypo which I believe is why I have the low temps.
The "hot" feeling could be from stress. Before the Fibro pains started... When I got stressed my face would get hot from stress. I would then end up sick. Stress seemed to make my immune system low so I'd end up with a flu or cold easily. That was back when I just had just CFS but no diagnosis.
Of course, it can also be hormones like the others said...

Closed Thread