It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
How to handle stressful situations?

It has been an awful morning! I can vent about it, but would be very long. The fact is that I have 4 kids & I love them more than life itself. However, it can be sooo stressful & one child in particular caused allot of stress this morning. Long story short, I had to wake the baby up & drive my son to school because he zoned out & missed the bus. We are out in the country & in a very small town. School is in the next town over, not much bigger.
Anyhow, I tried deep breathing & to not stress. But I stressed. Even now I've calmed down but can feel this uncontrollable stress. Nerves are jumping. How do we handle this. I can just feel the headache coming on...

Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Re: How to handle stressful situations?

One more thing... How long does it usually take for stress to affect you?
I'm fighting the headache & exhaustion is setting in.. I can't wait for the baby to take a nap so I can lay down... Not sure if it's from the stress thi morning or because I'm pushing myself with exercise... I started doing the bike 15 mins 2x daily plus the usual stretches...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Stress hits me pretty quickly. I think that it is one of my biggest flare triggers. I have a cup of hot tea ( calming like chamomile) sometimes to de-stress. Breathing (or just remembering to) helps me as well, but not always. Another thing I do (if I can) is take a nap. I am so susceptible to stress that I have a really hard time with it, too. Hugs, Diane

Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Depending on the situation, stress can hit me right away or if I need to endure something, I seem to make it through it all and it will hit me a day or two later...go figure.

One thing that helps me with stress is exercise or movement. Also, deep breathing and talking it out with someone who understands.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

ALCOHOL!!!!!!!!! Just kidding~

Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LOL tooolgrl! I do love my glass of wine

It hit me pretty fast yesterday. It was bad though... I took my Cymbolta in the morning as I usually do... Also Tramadol for the pain.. I did eat first.. I should have never taken them together. I've never been one to take pills unless needed so kinda stupid when it comes to meds... I got really sick. It actually scared me. Called a friend up the road to have her pick me up some Sprite. Then I had my mom come out to watch the baby. I was just so sick. I've never been one to ask for help, no matter what so it was awful. Called the Dr's office & all they could say was to not take them together again... duh lol
Still flaring up today & still not feeling very well.
Does stress usually make you feel like you have the flu? It caused pains & headache for me. The sickness hit maybe 1/2 hour after I took the meds. So don't think it's the flu. I've never been sick like that from stress...

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
Clare1975 (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Add 1 more for that glass of wine! That replaced my nightly muscle relaxers on occasions. Have not had a sip since starting the lyrica. Maybe 1 glass once my body adjusts.

My pharmacist told me to space out taking Cymbalta , tramadol and Flexeril by about 2 hrs. So mornings are slow moving for me.

As far as handling the stress, I guess with no little ones here that is a bit easier to go hide from the world. I like to de-stress by immersing myself with Indian flute music. I find it very soothing. Because not everyone likes to hear it I keep a nice supply on my MP3 player and a few CDs in the truck.
For the most part I've gotten pretty good about blowing off things that stress me out by escaping into the music.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
(female)

Clare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB User

Hi all, just to say that stress hits me hard nowadays. Used to be able to deal with it but now it makes me very tired. I have lost some 'friends' since feeling tired and unwell but they added to the stress in my life. I agree with other people posting, it can be sometimes unpredictable as to when tiredness hits but stress is a big factor. Take care, Clare x

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

My NP and I discuss stress and depression frequently. I have learned with her help to "compartmentalize" my issues fairly well. Whatever my stressor is that could lead to depression I take and visualize putting it in a box, away from me to deal with at a better time. Then I can concentrate on whatever immediate tasks/issues I have at the moment. It keeps me from feeling overwhelmed and on a spiral which ends up in depression. It is a very difficult balancing act to maintain, but I make sure that I maintain it. It is so hard to end up with depression dealing with the everyday struggle of fibro. And since I got fired from my job for missing work due to fibro I could very easily jump on the depression train, but I refuse. So all that crap sits in a little box out of reach, oh I know its there but I am not giving in to it. I hope I can help someone out there who is struggling, my stress has been ongoing for a long time. I was married to an abusive man and a lot of that stress is still affecting me. It is like post traumatic stress disorder. But I am happy now, and love my life and myself. So I refuse to cave to the stress monster.
love and peace to you all
Sandra

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tooolgrl
Clare1975 (01-20-2011), Pammyann (01-20-2011)
Closed Thread