It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Flare-up, mixing meds, sick

I had a very stressful morning Wednesday. So, the Flare up started. I took my Cymbolta as I usually do... Also Tramadol for the pain.. I did eat first.. I should have never taken them together. I've never been one to take pills unless needed so kinda stupid when it comes to meds... I got really sick. It actually scared me. Called a friend up the road to have her pick me up some Sprite. Then I had my mom come out to watch the baby. I was just so sick. I've never been one to ask for help, no matter what so it was awful. Called the Dr's office & all they could say was to not take them together again... duh lol

Does stress usually make you feel like you have the flu? It never did that before. The sickness hit maybe 1/2 hour after I took the meds. I'm still not feeling well. I feel like I've had the flu since. So, I'm not sure if I'm sick as part of my flare up, the meds or if I actually have the flu.

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
mim (01-27-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User
Re: Flare-up, mixing meds, sick

A flare up can definitely feel like the flu. I know for me I have gotten so sick I was unable to eat or drink without vomiting. Everyone is different and not two flare ups are alike. Tramadol is a drug that interacts with a LOT of other drugs. I have three huge bottles of it here, but I rarely take it. It makes me feel really bad when I take it. I use it only when my percocets run out before I can refill it. There are drug interaction checkers online, I usually always double check my meds for interactions no matter what my NP prescribes. Also I know pharmacists are happy to discuss any questions regarding interactions. I know limiting stress today is hard, especially when you have little ones. I honestly don't really remember how I used to cope back then, I worked full time too. I just think the stress of all that is catching up to me now. lol..I hope you feel better, breathe deep and take one day at a time. I try to tell myself to live as a dog lives, not thinking of yesterday or tomorrow, but just today..Hugs.
peace and love
Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User

hi,

I always take my meds together but i am not on the meds you are i am on the fenntanal patch 100 an opiate and baclofen muscle relaxant and sertraline an anti depressant ( though they want to swap this for what your on cymbalta what is that like for your pain? )
If you have never taken them together before and they made you sick then i guess it was them but if you carry on feeling sick for the remainder of the day its safe to say its a flare or a bug you have picked up though stress can cause anxiety which causes sickness but if the stressful situation has stopped then you should start to feel better and if you dont then your back to the flare or a bug, see how it goes for the rest of the day and tomorrow and you will know i guess. There are also sites you can look at how compatable your tablets are and there side effects when taken together to see if this was the cause. good luck, please excuss my spelling in this post.

Last edited by 75angel; 01-21-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Thank You I didn't know a flare up actually made you sick. Hadn't had that before. Usually I get the awful headache, neck pain & traveling pains then exhaustion. This is day #3, ugh. Things haven't been as stressful but the kids have their moments...

I'm not sure if the Cymbolta helps the pain, I never know until I go off stuff... I didn't think the Neurontin helped until I went off it. It does work great for Anxiety! Cymbolta keeps me from stressing over every little thing which usually keeps me from flaring up

Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Neurontin is one of those meds that you don't know is working or not until you do go off of it. It is prescribed to fibromites for nerve pain as I am sure you know. It does not work for everyone. And the starting dose is usually incredibly low. I started at 300mg a day, and am now just bumped up to 1800 mg per day. I think the ceiling dose may be around 3600mg daily. Not sure. It works for me. I woke up with a horrible headache today myself, I think it may be snow blindness though as we are in the midst of another winter storm. I am dealing with stress these days as I was fired from my job as I stated in another post and trying to stay ahead of bills hoping I will be able to collect unemployment until I can either go back to work, which I really want to do, or collect disability, which I don't want to do. But like I said, try to put the stress where it belongs, in the stress box to be dealt with later. I hope you have a better day today. And I certainly hope that you feel better and that your kids help you out. Mine are grown, 2 of them are living with me and its still a drag getting them to help me out. love and hugs.
Sandra

Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Neurontin made me sooo grumpy & stressed. It was awful... Couldnt' stay on it long. I noticed with Cymbolta that it kicked in quick! I noticed a difference in my Anxiety quickly
I'm Sorry things are rough right now... I know about your job loss. I remember your posts. I know it's hard to figure out what on earth you are going to do.
I've worked since I was 10, started out in my Grandparents mini mart. I've always found ways to make honest $. Then I met my now husband. Love him to death, but he was stupid, lol He makes good $, but sooo much debt. He had electric, tv, phone, ect constantly turned off. It's taken years to try & recover. The last 4 yrs have been tough. $ wopuld be gone within days after getting paid. I've worked hard to build our farm. It saved our butts constantly. At times when we had nothing, I'd sell a bunch of birds, hatching eggs, whatever & it got us through. Now I've been so sick I have had to cut that is half, can't do it anymore. It's depressing. So haven't had the extra $, then our rental house (I bought it back in 2002) was empty for 4 months. Not sure how we made 2 mortgages plus doubly utilities the last few months, but we did it somehow. Thought we were out of luck when we found Great renters! Signed papers 2 weeks ago! Then, long story short, was able to consolidate our debt, get a really nice car & refinance our carpayment we've had for less that what we've been paying for the car payment alone! So, got it all done yesterday. We will now finally have extra $! I'm so tired of scavenging around the house trying to find new ways to use what we have to make dinner for our family of 6. Then another family member lives with us & we feed the neighbor boy also. lol
Anyhow, I don't know how we do it, but we do. It's truly amazing how things work out. I've always been a very unlucky person. I can write a book. Always felt like if something bad was going to happen, it would be me that got hit. Still have that. But I've been very lucky like right now, so try to focus on that
It's hard making life changes. I really feel like things are going to work out for you. You are going through major life changes. But sometimes change is for the good, even if it is scary...
Sorry if I ramble lol That's me!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ugh, I wrote you a long letter Sandra & lost it! It's been doing that lately.
Anyhow, just can't focus enough to write it again.
Neuronin gave me awful mood swings, only on it s a few week. Cymbolta was a relief within days.
I've been following your updates. I truly feel it's all going to work out for you. I know it's hard to imagine, but it always does. Seems like it's these tough life changes that make things better in the long run. I can write a book on my story but long story short. The last 4 yrs have been the toughest financially. Didn't now how we made it through. We have barely scraped through each month. Our farm income saved our butts constantly, but I've been so sick haven't been able to do it. Have cut the farm in half. ugh. Our rental house was even empty for 4 months, 2 mortgage payments plus more bills. However, it has all worked out! Not to go into details but we were able to consolidate our debt, get another car & refinance the one we've had... All for less than what we've been paying for the one car payment! Things are looking up! I'm so excited to be able to buy food & not stress over how we'll afford to feed the kids. Anyhow, things really do get better & always seems to work out. I've always been a very unlucky person. But somehow there is always good things that do happen. Nothing works out the way you want it, sometimes it gets even better!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
(female)

75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User75angel HB User

themartinfarm

I too had to come off neurotin for being angry all the time the same happened with lyrica but much worst i was on there highest dose and had put on 3 st too as had cravings all the time and kept eating but i also got aggressive to everyone specially my poor husband and was sucidal and had planned my own sucide! thank god i had faith and my friends prayed for me and i came off the drugs i was on requip and fentanal which is 100 times stronger then morphine i am surprised looking back i am still here i also had a pyscotic episode and was nearly sectioned it was an awfull time i had 3 drs and none talking to each one soi ended up on too many at once, that was at the begining of my illness now i wont go on a drug till i have researched it and i come off as soon as i notice any of the side effects i had before thats why i came off neurotin.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry everyone, I thought I lost both posts & gave up, they are there! lol

75angel, I'm sooo glad you didn't harm yourself! I never understood why people would want to kill themself, you only live once. Plus, if something isn't working, change it! But, I have been there. I have never talked about it before or told anyone. But, there has been times when I thought about just overdosing on pills & falling asleep to just not wake up. But, that's not fair to my loved ones. Plus, I want to live. I want to see my kids grow up. Just been times when I've felt so hopeless. I've had probs since just before my 19th Birthday (Jan 1999). It's hard pretending to be normal & live life, when you feel so awful. My husband makes comments like "Even if I had Fibro, I'd still keep busy". Ummm, coming from the person who stays in bed if he's sick? When I'm sick, I still do what needs done. When he has a headache or anything, I hear all about it. When I have one, I mention it, & that's that. I'm good at hiding my pain though. Hate to complain. Course, I'm great at venting on this board. I think it's because I know others understand.
Have you tried Cymbolta? I love it! I've tried many things over the years. I actually thought I was depressed but turns out it's just anxiety. But, I've had my days when I am very depressed. It passes though.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the sweet reply. I will be fine, I should be able to collect unemployment and have a job lined up sometime this year, a vet I know who owns a clinic just for cats is losing one of her technicians this year and told me she would hire me. So as long as I can collect til then I am good. Plus it is tax time, and I should be able to get a bit ahead with that. I feel like crap most of the time but I just deal. I am sorry the neurontin did nothing for you girls. I am lucky it works wonders for me. So far so good. I try to stay as positive as I can, because negativity brings stress and we all know what stress does. Being upbeat and positive brings on happiness and I choose that. Every day is a gift in this life. Some people are just given more to handle than others. I feel blessed that I can function and enjoy life. Some people have it so much worse than I do.
peace and love
Sandra

Old 01-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like you are on a great path Sandra! Make sure you enjoy your time off & get rest!
You have a great outlook! I try to remember things can always be worst... No matter how hard it gets, I have 4 healthy kids, great family & friends.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
(female)

martinfarm

just replyed to another post to you lol your be bored of hearing from me. I am sad your husband does not understand you, having a chronic pain condition puts a strain on your relationship it did ours and we parted for 18 mths but it was all my thought i was selfish angry and on some bad medication that change my personality and drove everybody away though my husband helped me through it and God and we are back together i am so thankful and he is amazing in how he keeps the house running when i am bad which is all the time lately and he has a back condition of his own. I cant work and am registered disabled so i am a stay at home mum which is really amazing and i wished i had done that a long time ago when they were younger each time i went back to work when they were 17-18 mths and i missed alot i see my friend with her 3 yr old and she is so delightful and i should of been there more and am sad about that now.
I was not thinking straight when i thought about ending it all the lyrica caused sucidal thoughts that i did not realise ,i had a psycotic episode after that and nearly got sectioned not nice so i am weary of trying new drugs and have stayed with the same ones for a few yrs now which is fentanal patches 100 i changed every 3 days an opiate 100 times stronger then morphine so powerful stuff, baclofen a muscle relaxant 60-100mg depending how i am and an anti-depressant setraline 50 mg which they want to change to cymbalta or however you spell it which i think you are on and say is good and others are on they wanted to put me on another one but that caused weight gain in some and having just lost the 3 st i put on with lyrica i dont want to put on again so he suggested cymbalta as that doesnt have reported side effects of weight gain although it does list it in its side effect but most say it has not caused them to put on weight so i might try it what do you think about it?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

75 angel,
I won't sick of ya lol I love having others to talk to about this stuff. I honestly think it makes me feel better
I'm Sorry you guys were separated but glad to see it all worked out! I've had my depression days. There has been a few times I've told my husband that I have to deal with this, he doesn't. He has the choice to not be with me, I won't stop him. Course, I love my husband & would never want that. I guess it's the fact that I love him & figured he was better off without me. I figured he needed someone as social as him. Someone that could get out & work on the property like I used to.
For the most part I think he understands. But he has his times when he makes comments or acts like this is such a burden for him...
When I divorced my ex, my youngest was a year old & oldest 4. It was difficult because I'd spent all my time with them. My oldest acted out allot & I feel like I missed out on my baby being a baby. I was so busy working full time, dinner, cleaning, ect. I'm Thankful I've been able to stay at home with my kids again.
I'm on Flexiril (muscle relaxer) for sleep. I've always had insomnia issues. Helps me fall asleep. Also, my Rhumetologist asked if I dream. I said no, maybe once every 2 yrs. He said I wasn't getting the deep sleep. Since starting the muscle relaxer I dream every night!
I love Cymbolta! I've had water retention problems but I think it's the birth control & weight gain. Just went through a period when I was retaining allot of water. I haven't noticed any other problems. Also, I noticed a huge change in my anxiety within days after starting it! I started at 30mg & 2 weeks later ay 60mg. I've been on it a few months now. I used to stress all the time about money, kids, being overwhelmed, ect. I'd dwell on things all the time. The smallest thing would set me off. I'd snap at the slightest comment if I took it personal. Within days I was more relaxed. During Christmas time I didn't stress at all! I enjoyed picking out nice gifts. I know I over did it, but it all worked out. It was a good Holiday. I'm so Thankful for my little green pill! lol
The Lyrica sounds awful! I'm Sorry you went through that! It's amazing how meds can cause so many problems! I really hope you try the Cymbolta & it helps you as much as it does me! I know medicines are different for everyone but it's been wonderful for me!

Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartinfarm View Post
Thank You I didn't know a flare up actually made you sick. Hadn't had that before. Usually I get the awful headache, neck pain & traveling pains then exhaustion. This is day #3, ugh. Things haven't been as stressful but the kids have their moments...

I'm not sure if the Cymbolta helps the pain, I never know until I go off stuff... I didn't think the Neurontin helped until I went off it. It does work great for Anxiety! Cymbolta keeps me from stressing over every little thing which usually keeps me from flaring up
hey!! flare ups make me terribly ill. I hurl and everything! I take cymbalta and it "quiets" things a bit. Hugs, Diane

Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ugh, I was awfully sick after taking both meds, about 1/2 hour later. Atleast I thought it was the meds... But this is day #4 & finally starting to feel alittle better. I had no idea Fibro could make you so sick... Over the last few months it just gets worst & worst... Hopefully it won't get much worst...

Closed Thread