It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
(female)

carol61 HB User
Have I really got it?!

Hi everyone,
Im new to the boards. Ive been suffering with pain in my shoulders and neck for about 6 weeks ( it started as a "knot" feeling between my shoulder blades and has spread over the last few weeks). My GP has diagnosed Fibromyalgia but after reading about all the other symptoms Im not so sure. I didnt talk to him about my other "aches and pains" because it wasnt until I read up on it when I got home that I saw they could be connected. As well as the shoulder and neck pain, which is only helped by tramadol, most mornings I wake up with intense burning pain around my hips and knees. I havent slept properly for 2 months, I fall asleep easilly enough but am awake within a couple of hours and takes an age to get back to sleep. I have had restless legs and vertigo for about 5 years!
I have felt anxiety and low for a few weeks but that seems to have passed. I have urinary problems but I was diagnosed with both types of incontinence 3 yrs ago and Ive had the "sling" operation (!) to help with 1 of them.
I cant say though that I have pain in all those pressure points they talk about. I havent had any tests, just the gp examined me and had a poke at my back!
I'd appreciate anyones advice, do you think I have Fibromyalgia? The doc gave me some anagesia cream to rub on which did nothing for the pain. He has now given me amitryptoline, 1 10mg pill each night which he says will help me sleep and also help with the pain during the day. I start them tonight.
Thanks in advance for any advice. xx

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: carol61
caribear (02-15-2011), catkaru (02-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
Re: Have I really got it?!

I personally think you have it. Those are all Fibro symtoms lately my shoulders back arms have been in knots. Basically my entire body.

The Following User Says Thank You to SnowBunny89 For This Useful Post:
carol61 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, 2 months is a bit early to conclude for sure that it is fibro. First thing you want to do is determine that there really isn't something else going on, like arthritis.

Assuming your pain is all muscular, address that knot between your shoulder blades. (I know it well!) Check into some stretches for the neck and shoulder area, and possibly massage. If you can reverse the soreness now, you might actually prevent yourself from developing permanent or severe pain symptoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
carol61 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
(female)

brooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB User

Usually it takes at least three months of widespread pain and fatigue along with 11 of the 18 tender points to get a diagnosis and that is after ruling out everything else with tests. It sounds like your doctor diagnosed you too quick (my rheumatologist did this to me) without making sure you don't have something else. I would ask for tests to be sure that it is fibro, you don't want to be treated for the wrong thing! Until then I agree that stretches are helpful for tight muscles as is heat therapy (like a warm shower or bath). Your symptoms do match fibro but also some other issues so please ask your doctor to check because if you have something else you don't want to delay treatment. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to brooklyngirl For This Useful Post:
carol61 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

biogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB Userbiogirl71 HB User

Hi, carol! Welcome aboard! Has your doc referred you to a rheumy? Definately get some testing done! Diane

The Following User Says Thank You to biogirl71 For This Useful Post:
carol61 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Welcome!
What tests have you had done? It sounds like Fibro but it could be other things also. You need to be tested for everything. Something such as Lyme or low vitamin D can be cured, Fibro can't. There is no use suffering from something that can be fixed. You'll want to see a Rhumetologist or Nuerologist. Please ask for a referral asap to get things going.
I've had probs since 99 but the pain didn't start until last year. My Primary Dr diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue. When I was diagnosed with Fibro I thought the Rhumetologist was nuts. At that time my upper back, shoulders & neck were hurting allot. But I wasn't sure why. Then I realized the Fibro was why I got headaches atleast 4 days out of the week. Then I had my First flare-up, that's when I realized the Dr wasn't nuts after all! lol It didn't take long before everything made sense. All those symptoms I've had linked to CFS & FM. It's gotten worst & worst since. But on the bright side I'm on Cymbolta so I don't stress out which keeps me from flaring really bad. I don't overdo it all the time like I used to, which keeps me from major aches, pains, headaches & exhaustion.
Anyhow, you may have Fibro & notice that things make sense. Or, you may get tests done & find out it's something else. All I know is that I went 12 yrs not knowing what was wrong with me & doing everything I could to find out. I am so Thankful to have a diagnosis so I can control it. Knowing what is wrong is very important.

Keep us updated!
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The Following User Says Thank You to thefarm For This Useful Post:
carol61 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
(female)

carol61 HB User

Thanks everyone for your advice. Ive been stretching lots, in all directions, the pain makes me feel like I have to!
I feel embarrassed questioning the gp, Apart from through the major stuff, like hysterectomy, gallbladder removal etc, I dont go to the docs very much. Will he send me for a referal just because I ask him to?!
I'd be great if it turned out to be something that can be cured. I feel for all you guys (and myself if his diagnosis is correct!) having to cope with this permenantly. Does the pain every go away for a while or is this my life from now on?! This morning I had to get up at 6am, I couldnt stand the pain in my hips/buttocks and knees any longer, it eases a bit after Ive been up a while.
Thanks again for all your advice. I joined a forum like this when I had my hysterectomy, its so good to be able to talk to someone whos in the same boat. My hubby keeps (jokingly) calling me Dot Cotton!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: carol61
caribear (02-16-2011), monalisa24 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

I agree with janewhite1,
seems weird your Dr would just jump to that DX so fast....you could just have a pulled muscle. lets just hope thats all it is.

keep us updated please,.. we do care.

Hugs monalisa..

The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
carol61 (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Carol, so sorry you had to come to this board but welcome. There are great people here willing to help and be helped. I agree that you should ask for a referall to a Rhuemy. There are so many tests that can be done before dx of this monster. Good luck and keep us posted and I will keep you in my prayers as I do all my Fibro friends.
Low pain all,
Cat

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
(female)

carol61 HB User

Hi, thanks everyone for your thoughts. Its making me doubt whether I have it at all! Like 1 person said it could be a pulled muscle, but for 6 weeks? and what about the other symptoms like the burning pain in my hips and knees?! and the vertigo and restless legs?! I dont know whether to wait a couple more weeks to see if it settles down then go back to the gp.?

The following user gives a hug of support to carol61:
monalisa24 (02-18-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

If you feel something isn't right..go with your gut hun! Go back to the Dr or see another Doctor...

Hugs Monalisa..

Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Go with your gut Hun, if you feel something isn't right!...Go back or see another Dr...

Hugs Monalisa

Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Go with your Gut Hun ..if you feel something is right Go back or see another Dr.

Hugs Monalisa

The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
carol61 (02-18-2011)
Closed Thread