It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User
My fibro fog is getting worse- What can I do?

My fibro fog is getting worse. I can't remember things so I contradict myself, I go to get something and I get lost along the way. I have trouble with numbers, and organizing myself. I really need to get my brain back on track soon. Any suggestions? I seem to be sleeping okay with a Xanax each night. Anything is appreciated.
Best Regards,

The following user gives a hug of support to Sunsetnan:
caribear (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User
Re: My fibro fog is getting worse- What can I do?

Hi Sunsetnan - Have ONE little notebook that you write everything down in - ie shopping lists/to do lists/schedules etc etc and keep it in ONE place eg by your computer and get into the habit of writing in it - that way when you forget things it will more than likely be in there or if it's note it's a reminder to write whatever it was in next time. The more disciplined you get with writing in it the more ordered your mind will come.

The busier and noisier we get in our heads the more we panic and the easier it is to forget things. I can sense the panic in your post so maybe try a little meditiation to create more sense of calm - as panic creates noise/busyness in our heads too. Our heads get like an untidy office/house they just need a bit of filing and then it'll take care of itself again! xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Sweet:
Thanks for your reply. You are right. I am quite anxious right now and frustrated. Meditation is a very good suggestion.

I appreciate your idea about writing in a notebook, but I was looking more for suggestions that have helped memory, like doing crossword puzzles or an herbal remedy or memory exercises that have helped. Has anything like that worked for you?
Best Regards,

The following user gives a hug of support to Sunsetnan:
havefaithinyou (02-27-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Hey Nan, I had the same problem last summer, I would get lost driving to places I knew like the back of my hand. Forgot everything, everything was just a big fog. I write everything down, or keep it in the notes section of my phone. I still have issues with the fog but not as bad. When my NP had me on valium it was really bad. I now take percs and neurontin and I will take a couple xanax to help me sleep sometimes. I don't know what happened that it got better so there I cannot help you. I do know the valium was not helping it. Just the other day I called in a prescription refill to the pharmacy and am having trouble remembering if I really did do it or if I just dreamed it. I am pretty sure I did, I remember speaking to someone regarding the RX but cannot be 100% certain. I think having enough protein in the diet is also helpful. I don't eat the best I should, as I have colitis and no matter what I eat it sends me running to the toilet. But what I do eat I make certain has protein. And I eat a lot of oatmeal and hot oat cereal. I wish I could help you more. All I can say is what I believe worked for me. Fibro is a damn bugger and it hits you in so many different ways..good luck honey..xoxoxo
peace and love and clear thoughts
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
Sunsetnan (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi sunset,
they make little books of math puzzles and word games. i used to do them alot when i was younger. i have my beloved brain i carry with me always. i gave up on reading, i used to be an avid reader but cannot keep the story from one page to the next. i use a ten key to figure out things. i put money i will be spending in my pocket so i don't get confused when it's time to pay.
is that what you are looking for? oh, they sell those little books at grocery check out stands.
peace,
blue

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
Sunsetnan (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Sandra and Blue. I will be testifying in court soon and am stressing over it because I know my fibro fog will probably be really cloudy that day. And, I know that stress makes it worse.

I eat a hypoglycemic diet that includes a lot of protein, so I'm okay on that account. I only take a beta blocker and an antidepressant with Xanax at night to sleep.

I've been playing fast- paced card games lately, and my brain seems to handle those just fine. My problem seems to be trying to find the words for things and being able to condense what I'm trying to say. For example, instead of saying that "the sun is yellow," I end up saying that "the big bright circle in the sky is the same color as a banana." Instead of getting directly to the point, I go around the mental block. That's why I do better at writing than speaking. I can go back and change it until it is what I really want to say. And I can look up the words I'm searching for in a Thesaurus, etc.

I will try all of your suggestions, ladies. Thanks so much. If you think of anything else that has helped you, please let me know.
Best Regards,

Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
(female)

Clare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB UserClare1975 HB User

Hi Sunsetnan,

I can totally relate to you I used to waffle at the best of times but over the last few months with being tired all the time it has got worse. I tend to elaborate too much without really getting to the point. Card games are fine with me too - I play a mean game of snap! I get really tired of remembering things in sentence or trying to explain anything. I put it all down to being tired. Hugs and blesses, Clare x

Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hey nan,
write down what you want to say, condense it and read it in court. as best you can try to cover any questions you think you may be asked. if they say anything tell them this is the only way you can communicate without confusing yourself or them.
breath, you know stress just makes your brain work overtime without getting a darn thing done.
peace,
blue

Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
(female)

havefaithinyou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweetlife View Post
Hi Sunsetnan - Have ONE little notebook that you write everything down in - ie shopping lists/to do lists/schedules etc etc and keep it in ONE place eg by your computer and get into the habit of writing in it - that way when you forget things it will more than likely be in there or if it's note it's a reminder to write whatever it was in next time. The more disciplined you get with writing in it the more ordered your mind will come.

The busier and noisier we get in our heads the more we panic and the easier it is to forget things. I can sense the panic in your post so maybe try a little meditiation to create more sense of calm - as panic creates noise/busyness in our heads too. Our heads get like an untidy office/house they just need a bit of filing and then it'll take care of itself again! xxx
Thank you for posting this suggestion. I thought it was just me personally that keeps blanking out, forgetting what I did 5 seconds ago and where I put things. I guess Fibro can keep you in a fog or else the meds. I am just on one for Fibro - Neurontin - 1800 mg a day. But I just got a pain mgmt doctor (lower back issue) since I moved here and he also changed my pain medicine and also prescribed Voltaryn gel (however you spell it).

I would not wish this kind of pain on anyone. And its hard because some people look at you & judge you and say "there is nothing wrong with you, you look fine" but they don't know whats going on inside your body or your head. I try to walk around with a smile on my face all the time because who wants to be around a depressed hurting person. I am on disability for major depressive disorder. But you know what - it gets exhausting putting up a front to everyone like everything is perfect. I had to keep doing that with my mother because she does not support me in this fight but recently I ended communication with her because I have had enough therapy to know that when someone is not supportive - its toxic to you.

Wow, sorry this was supposed to be a quick reply and thank you. Sorry I went on and on!

Cindy

Old 02-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
(female)

lizmom2ryan HB Userlizmom2ryan HB Userlizmom2ryan HB User

Hi Nan-

I'm glad u post this, I also was feeling like I was the only losing her mind. I'm the same way. My words don't come out right so when I'm talking to someone that doesn't know me, I look like a foul. I'm also going to take up the suggests on here.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Cindy: looks like you needed to vent. It's very frustrating.

Blue: I asked my attorney if I could have notes and she said no. Are we covered under the American with Disabilities Act so that we could get special allowances to use notes? I know they usually don't allow it because they don't want prompting, but I don't see why I couldn't have an outline to refer to. It would sure make me feel better.

I'm going to do some checking and see if maybe they could make an exception after all I have SLE, FMS, and had a brain stem stroke. Give me a break! lol There should be a give-me-a-break exception clause, right?

Thanks all!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

i am not sure. worth looking into tho. hey write little notes on your hand like we used to do in school. i know, not enough room. maybe they want you to be totally natural so they can see how you are affected? ask your attn why you can't have them. pin her down on why, and then if her reasons are legal or they make sense just go for it.
good luck girlfriend, i'll be thinking of you. what day do you go?
peace and no brain farts,
blue

Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I think we can all totally relate to your post in some way. Writing things down is a good idea. And I have a question as I work in the legal field. Must you testify in court or would a sworn affidavit from you do the trick? Ask the attorney that question.

Also, a few things that work for me. I take fish oil caps every day along with a diet that is loaded with protein. I also take a low dose of adderall which not only helps with memory but fatigue too. I play a computer game called Word Twist and it helps me mentally too. Good sleep is important. I take half of a Xanax and a benadryl tablet at night and I usually sleep really well.

Hugs,
Pam

Last edited by Pammyann; 02-28-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
(female)

frenchwoman HB Userfrenchwoman HB Userfrenchwoman HB Userfrenchwoman HB User

I can relate also , it may be worst for me as English isn't my mother tongue then again people often blame my using the wrong word on this very fact , lucky for me my relatives are all bilingual and we have a tendency to mix French and English in a conversation so I usually find a word in either language lol
One thing I have noticed lately is that I mix my letters when I write , for example I will notice that the word and will be typed as adn , I never use to do this , a new glitch in my brain I suppose still it scares me a bit as it is happening more and more and I have no explanation for it .
I am not on any medication except for the occasional lowest dose of ativan before bedtime , and even though it does make me sleep I cannot help but notice that it seems to make the fibro fog worst the next day , it does have lack of memory as a side effect so possibly zanax does also , then again stress and lack of sleep will exagerate the fog so yes we seem to be between a rock and a hard place most of the time .
I also do cross word puzzles , I started doing those to better my English , however without fail the answers I cant think of in the morning will easely come to mind at 2 am , again I dont know why except that I function better at night at every level .
I realise that I am not much help , mostly I wanted to say that you are not alone , I often worry that I have the beginning of dementia .

Closed Thread