It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

syberdeeva HB Usersyberdeeva HB User
Please help! I can't continue to work.

Hi! This is my first post here. I've been working for the past 14 years. My fibromyalgia pain and other symtoms are really severe. I can barely get out of bed in the morning. My work day has become really difficult. I have a hard time staying awake (due to my medication, oxycodone and soma). I have brain fog and it's difficult to concentrate. I'm making a lot of serious mistake doing my job. I'm also missing a lot of work because I'm not feeling well.

I want to apply for SSDI. I'm told that I have to be unemployed or making very little money to apply. I don't have anyone to help with bills. I"m thinking about having my doctor put me on disability, apply for SSDI and let my disability leave run out. I need help on how to go about leaving work. I need income to keep coming in. I need a way to pay bills and keep food on the table. This is really depressing. I can't continue to push myself much longer. Please help me. I'm so happy I've found this board. I really need to talk to other people with fibromyalgia. Other people truly don't understand. Thank you.

The following 6 users give hugs of support to: syberdeeva
caribear (02-28-2011), catkaru (03-01-2011), dw1961 (03-21-2011), kirstee (04-09-2011), mgm55 (03-02-2011), monalisa24 (03-24-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syberdeeva For This Useful Post:
mgm55 (03-02-2011), tooolgrl (03-02-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: Please help! I can't continue to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syberdeeva View Post
Hi! This is my first post here. I've been working for the past 14 years. My fibromyalgia pain and other symtoms are really severe. I can barely get out of bed in the morning. My work day has become really difficult. I have a hard time staying awake (due to my medication, oxycodone and soma). I have brain fog and it's difficult to concentrate. I'm making a lot of serious mistake doing my job. I'm also missing a lot of work because I'm not feeling well.

I want to apply for SSDI. I'm told that I have to be unemployed or making very little money to apply. I don't have anyone to help with bills. I"m thinking about having my doctor put me on disability, apply for SSDI and let my disability leave run out. I need help on how to go about leaving work. I need income to keep coming in. I need a way to pay bills and keep food on the table. This is really depressing. I can't continue to push myself much longer. Please help me. I'm so happy I've found this board. I really need to talk to other people with fibromyalgia. Other people truly don't understand. Thank you.
I can certainly understand your problem...been there. Still there. In my case I had suffered with symptoms of what was diagnosed as Fibro but I have other complications as well...they just haven't been diagnosed yet and it's been a very long, long wait. Anyway, back to Fibro. I hadn't been able to work for a number of years. I did temp jobs now and then and finally I couldn't do that any longer either. My doctor decided to try me on Prednisone because I have such high markers for inflammation and to my delight I was feeling better. My treatment plan was to reduce my Pred every month but at lower dosages I no longer benefited from the medication and I was as bad off as ever. I was sent to a Rheumatologist who diagnosed me that day with Fibro and told me flat out that more than likely I wouldn't be able to work again...maybe part time with treatment. Treatment didn't work for me. Lyrica looks great on the TV commericals but didn't do anything for me. A few months later I reminded her of what she said about me not being able to work and asked if she had changed her mind on that and she said no. I asked if she would recommend me for disability and she said yes. I called Binder and Binder after seeing their TV commercials and spoke to someone there. They sent paper work for me to fill out and they determinded if I was able to go on disability...I was...and after a wait of about 11 months I was granted disability...no hearing or anything. I did have to see two doctors the state sent me too and they both put me in for it no problems with that. The thing is, I have no idea how it works if you're still working. I realize you need an income and disability doesn't give you what you made...it's mess. Your age figures into it. They seem more willing to qualify you if you're in your mid 50's rather than younger. You wait 5 months for medicare and in the meantime I had no insurance. I didn't have insurance before that. You have to pay your part B and in my case my secondary insurance out of medicare...and my Rx plan too. Is there someone who can help you out financially? Someone you can live with? It will be rough with no income. If your doctor goes along with your plan, see a lawyer and find out what to expect. The process can drag out for years for some people. Know what you're getting into. All the best to you. I've been in your shoes and I know what it's like. Maybe you can find a less demanding job that won't take too much out of you...being disabled fools with your head too....it's horrible to lose your productivity and that's bad. Keep me posted on what you do ok? All the best to you!!
sharon

The Following User Says Thank You to Fibrobugsme For This Useful Post:
catkaru (03-01-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User

youhave hit the nail on the head. I, too, wanted to apply for SSDI only to be told the same thing. They (the administration) wants you to be destitute to apply. But if I'm destitute, that means I've lost my house and other earthly possessions and would be homeless, hence why I get up every morning and come to work, health permitting or not. I haven't figured out the reason of why but I know I have to continue working. Like you, I'm divorced and can't depend on anyone else to supplement my income and/or take care of me. I'm constantly in pain and yesterday, like you, I had brain fog so severe, I literally stopped work and sit at my desk, which wasn't hard to do because I was in the midst of fighting falling asleep. Medications given really don't do anything. Oh they take the edge off. But onlyfor about 15 minutes. I'm constantly fighting with my rheummy about this. I need stronger medication. I've come to the realization I think any narcotic given isn't really going to help. My rhemy often tells me he doesn't know how to treat this. I believe him. But at least he's gotten to the point where he's willing to listen. If anyone else has figured out how to apply for SSDI without losing everything you own, please let us know. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it. I'm currently at work about to fall asleep.
@Fibrobugsme:

My doctor is willing to help me with the SSDI process. She's really great. I've also tried Lyrica and it didn't work for me. Narcotic medication has been my best option so far.

@ Foxybrown:

I agree with you, even though my health doesn't permit I still show up at work. I'm having a hard time working. I recently received a verbal warning in reguard to my performance. I can't perform well in pain or taking my medication.

Several people have told me to let my job fire me so I can qualify for unemployment. Then I would be able to apply for SSDI. I just really confused. I'm welcomed to move back home. It would be hard since I'm used to being on my own. I'm in my 30's. There is also a toddler there. I don't have the patients to keep up with a small person daily.

I appreciate all advice and suggestions. It means a lot to me. Thank you everyone.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
(female)

yuckneck HB User

I am unable to work due to my fibro and other medical conditions. I have filed for Disability with Social Security not SSI. SSI is for low-income people. If you are currently working you should just apply for the disability. you can apply online at www.ssa.gov. I hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
(female)

Foxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB UserFoxy Brown HB User

Like you, Lyrica didn't work for me, neither did Cymbalta, or Savella. The only thing that does help are narcotics and they don't really work that long. I tough it out for the most part because I'm not given that much medication for the pain I'm in, and don't want to run out before I can get a new presecription. I've come to the conclusion there is no cure, we will keep hurting, and I guess, as much as I hate, to learn to live better with this excruciating pain. What really bugs me is the people who don't have fibro really don't understand how bad the pain is, and even when you try to describe it to them, they don't believe you. I wish you nothing but the best on however you handle this difficult situation.

The following user gives a hug of support to Foxy Brown:
syberdeeva (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
(female)

I also wish you the best.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
(female)

nancyl63 HB User

Your best bet would be get SSI instaed of SSDI. SSI is easier to get & get it right away. All you need is low income & Dr. to say you are unable to work. SSDI takes 6 months or more they usually turn you down the first time. Then you need to get a lawyer to help fight it. It took me 9 months to get SSDI my husband made a little over the SSI income allowed. I hope this helps. I would make a appointment with the Social Security Dept. & they will go over this with you. Just make sure you have a dr.'s slip saying you cannot work. I wish you luck. Actually this is my 1st day on here to. Let me know how u make out.
Nancy

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
(female)

blb101 HB User

you should try phentermine for the pain and energy. i have tried other meds and they make me sick. i tried phentermine to lose weight and i feel so much better i can't even tell you how great it is. talk to your doctor before you try it because they say you can only stay on it for a few months at a time. good luch

Old 04-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hope the disability/SSI options pan out for you. Another option is to find a job you can perform from home so that you are not getting out of bed early to go to work and you can lay down when you need to. My mother was a medical transcriber - she also had FMS. This type of work was perfect for her. On the nightowl watch, which was common for her, you would find her at her typewritter transcribing the latest and greatest from several doctors who utilized her services.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
(female)

TessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB User

Never heard of phentermine in relation to fibro-will check it out!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by syberdeeva View Post
Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it. I'm currently at work about to fall asleep.
@Fibrobugsme:

My doctor is willing to help me with the SSDI process. She's really great. I've also tried Lyrica and it didn't work for me. Narcotic medication has been my best option so far.

@ Foxybrown:

I agree with you, even though my health doesn't permit I still show up at work. I'm having a hard time working. I recently received a verbal warning in reguard to my performance. I can't perform well in pain or taking my medication.

Several people have told me to let my job fire me so I can qualify for unemployment. Then I would be able to apply for SSDI. I just really confused. I'm welcomed to move back home. It would be hard since I'm used to being on my own. I'm in my 30's. There is also a toddler there. I don't have the patients to keep up with a small person daily.

I appreciate all advice and suggestions. It means a lot to me. Thank you everyone.
You cannot be on unemployment and apply for ssdi because when you sign up for unemployment you are stating that you are willing and able seeking employment and ssdi will see that as you are not disabled

Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

That is true, I am on unemployment, I got fired for missing work due to fibro. I would love to file for disability but I cannot afford to wait for it to be granted(or denied). I am not surviving on the meager amount the state allows me for unemployment so therefore are desperately looking for work, to no avail. There are just no jobs here. I had to admit I was willing and able to work, and tried for disability but was told I would be ineligible for unemployment. The options are just not out there for people stuck in limbo like us. It is very difficult..thanks for the post..
peace
Sandra

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

I know were you are coming from I'm 55 yrs old I worked for over 40 years I was diagnose with Peripheral artery disease about 10 years ago I worked almost 10 years with it I was lucky it was listed in ssa blue book listing of Impairments I'm from Michigan and there are no jobs here either remember that Michigan has the highest unemployment in the nation so forget about trying to get a job here so when I left my job I filed for ssdi I had no income my company took away our retirement my 401k took a big dump in the stock market I had no medical and I was going through a divorce I was married for 33 years so I know what it is like I was approved in one year for ssdi in your case you are going to have a really hard time proving that you are disabled because of Fibromyalgia it's not even listed in SSa blue book and you need up to date medical records also SSa will not go more than a year back for your medical records they have to be current also you cannot earn any money I know they say you can earn a little but it will hurt your case sorry I know it stinks but you have to play by there rules if you want to win

Last edited by Administrator; 06-14-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Closed Thread