It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User
Question Has anyone tried Amitriptyline (Elavil)

Hi, hope everyone is doing better. I haven't been on the board for sometime sorry to say. I went to see my doctor today because of muscle pain in both my legs. I had it before but nothing like this, I can not sit , stand or walk for any length of time. My muscles feels like they are shrinking, I get knots all over and I can feel them, lots of cramping. I have been taking flexural, Gabapentin and other pain medications, but to day he gave me another prescription and said If it works I can be weened of of the Gabapentin which is a little brother of Lyrica. I was wonder has anyone tried it Amitriptyline (Elavil) and what kind of side effects are you having if any. I will start my first does tonight. I hope it works, I then maybe can stop taking my sleeping pills and the Gabapentin which are the big wallet busters. Thanks and have a great day!wave:

Last edited by JacquelineH; 03-03-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Print was to darn big

Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
(female)

brooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB User
Re: Has anyone tried Amitriptyline (Elavil)

I took it for about a month for migraine prevention, but I was so tired and out of it all day that I had to stop taking it. I was concerned that I may get hurt at work (I work on machines with lots of big moving parts) or fall asleep while driving. Other than that it did work to prevent my migraines, I am sorry I don't know about how it may work for fibro or muscle pain as I don't have any. Hope it works for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to brooklyngirl For This Useful Post:
JacquelineH (03-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I took it for 3 weeks - the lowest dose 10mg. I've never taken any meds before and after my experience I won't be again - unless I have a life threatening condition. I had heart palpatations and in the mornings felt really groggy - I felt it was unsafe for me to drive - and f I don't drive I can't work! I came off it and now take herbal sleep aids and vitamin supplements

The Following User Says Thank You to thesweetlife For This Useful Post:
JacquelineH (03-03-2011)
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

I take elavil every night for insomnia. I started at 10mg then up to 20, then 25, then 50. Now the 50mg isn't working so I upped to 75mg. I'm hoping it gets me to sleep tonight. I don't have insurance and elavil is cheap. I have had no side effects, just the sleepiness, which is why I'm taking it anyway..
Peace and love
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
JacquelineH (03-03-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi jacqueline,
i tried it 16 years ago. i gained alot of weight, craved candy at night after taking it. it made me depressed so i quit. i think i lasted a couple of months on it. too long ago, giggle.
for some it is helpful. i hope it helps you. it did not ease pain nor help me sleep as i was told it would.
peace,
blue

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
JacquelineH (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
(female)

lee03 HB Userlee03 HB Userlee03 HB User

I take Amitriptyline at night time, i started out on a low dose and am now on 100mg a night (i have just up'd the dose with the docs consent a few weeks ago) the only side effects i have had initially was tiredness and after a few days i had a mega migraine but i am fine now and since i up'd the dose my pain hasnt been as intense...i think you do have to give it a fair trial x

The Following User Says Thank You to lee03 For This Useful Post:
JacquelineH (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
(female)

TessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB UserTessaAnne HB User

I was given Elavil a couple of months ago. I did not like it at first because I felt too groggy in the morning. So I stopped taking it. My pain has been bothering me more lately so I started taking it again. I can't say if it has helped me with the pain as yet, but I am not groggy from it anymore. I have even taken it a couple of times in the afternoon and have not noticed any side effects.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
(female)

JacquelineH HB UserJacquelineH HB User

Hi, my pharmacist says it takes 4 to 6 weeks to start working. I took it early last night as someone said to do. I had a good sleep and never woke up drowsy just in full blown pain in the legs. I took it about PM, I will keep taking it as I have had no side effects for the first one. hope you feel better soon.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
(female)

Dotgerda HB User

I've been taking it for years. It helped immediately. As soon as I went on it, I would fall into a better sleep within a few hours. I always take it a few hours before sleep. You may find that you need to change the dose at times. Everyone is different and we also change over the years so our dose may change. It does not take 4-6 weeks for me. As soon as I've increased/decreased the dose, I got the desired results.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
(female)

APLCAZZIE HB UserAPLCAZZIE HB UserAPLCAZZIE HB User

Hi Jaqueline

I had Amitripyline and like my previous respondents I have to say it didn't agree with me. I gained weight and also found it left me with a very dry mouth. I was nausious with it too. However it may be different for you. Amitriptyline can help with nerve pain but I got on better with cymbalta. Everyone is different so I hope it works for you if not ask your doctor about an alternative. There are several brands that may help.

Good look
aplcazzie

Closed Thread