It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Caffeine & Weight Gain/water retention?

Hello everyone!
I haven't been on lately... But I think of you all often!
I mentioned weight gain before & really having a hard time with it... The scale just keeps moving up & I don't know why... I eat healthy, low calories, exercising, ect. I have poor circulation, water retention, varicose veins starting, ect. I drink allot of water... About 1 gallon or more per day.
So, I'm at the end of my rope, so frustrated... So, doing some reading & read about caffeine. Sp, I'm thinking maybe I should stop drinking coffee? I have atleast 3 cups of coffee in the morning. I read allot of info & I'm thinking that is causing me my problems. I also drink a glass of wine sometimes. I haven't been drinking wine very often these days, don't seem to want it...
So, I want to stop drinking coffee. I'm going to have a hard time with it though because I have been a coffee drinker since I was a teen. It makes sense though... I started putting on allot of weight after my last pregnancy. I did really well while pregnant though... I didn't drink coffee...
I have hypothyroidism also.
Anyhow, what is a good way to stop drinking coffee? I'm afraid of getting caffeine withdrawals... Headaches...
I read that with fibromeds & increased appetite will cause weight gain. But, I don't over eat. I actually have allot of nausia these days & have a hard time finding stuff to eat... I don't eat much sweets or carbs...
Anyhow, what do you think? Could it be the caffeine causing my problems? BTW, I don't drink pop, milk or juice... I drink coffee in the morning & water the rest of the day, that's it... I get calcium through vitamins & food...
Anyhow, I probably have my hopes up thinking I found my problem... I'll try anything to lose weight though... I went from 130 to 155 at the end of my pregnancy sept 2009. I then went down to 140 & stayed there. Then all of a sudden I started gaining weight about December 2009. I'm now 170! The ast 10 pounds have come on fast... Seems like 150 went to 160 quickly... Stayed there for awhile then 160 to 170 came quick...
So frustrated...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User
Re: Caffeine & Weight Gain/water retention?

Depends what you put in that coffee. Lol. I have 2 cups every morning with a bit of cream only. I don't see where it affects my weight. Hypothyroid? Maybe your levels need checking?? I'm 51, fought the scale my whole life. I finally asked myself why was I torturing myself?? I threw out the scale, embraced my curvy body. My weight has not gone up or down more than 5 pounds either way. I'm happy with me now. If you are not happy with you maybe getting your thyroid checked and start walking or running. That was the only thing that got weight off of me. Be careful not to drink too much water, you can get water toxicity. I have, not fun. Good luck honey!
Peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

To cut out coffee you can simply stop straight away and endure those vile toxic headaches (lasts about 4 days and keep drinking the water) Or a kinder way is to cut down by 1 cup a week and then the withdrawal from the last cup is less severe ! I've done it several times both ways..............Good luck

Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Yeah those caffeine headaches are NOT fun..who wants to add that into fibro??
I would cut down like sweetlife says if you are adamant about cutting it out totally. I love my coffee too much to ever give it up...It is a diuretic as is tea..so helps a bit with the water retention..There are also a lot of foods out there that act as natural diuretics as well. My poor feeble brain cannot think of them at this moment but I am sure you can google it..maybe your thyroid meds just need tweaking. Would be nice if it was as simple as that, eh??
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Thank You
I'm going to cut it down... I think I'm drinking to much coffee then I read that with Fibro it causes more problems... I don't think I can cut it out completely but I can cut back... I made sure not to make very much this morning... 1/2 what I normally do...
I just did some reading & hadn't realized how much I was drinking...
I'm so frustrated with my weight. I never had weight problems until 99. I was able to lose it & keep it off. Then I've ballooned back out again. I think it's hard because this just isn't my body... I just don't know how to fix it...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I do not drink a lot of coffee, only 1-2 cups per day and only with a bit of creamer, no sugar. I gave up drinking coffee completely for a bout 3 years because I thought caffeine was bad for Fibro, but I struggle with fatigue so badly, I went back to drinking a little coffee because it really helps me get going in the morning. The remainder of the day I drink iced green tea and water. These beverages don't seem to help or hinder weight gain either way with me.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

A lot of meds cause weight gain too...

Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have thought about the meds... But isn't it usually because of an increase in hunger?
My husband says that I'm just not actie enough anymore... But with 4 kids, I keep busy enough. Then I am exercising atleast 40 mins daily. I have been slacking lately though.. So much going on I'm fighting my aches & fatigue... I don't want to rely on pain meds but seem to be taking them more often... But it seems like it's either that or laying on the couch wishing the baby would take a nap so I can rest & not try to have my eyes on him at all times...
I started using sugar & milk instead of flavored creamer... Not sure if it's better though because of the sugar?
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Tori,

Look into using Stevia for sweetner, commercial name is Truvia. It is a natural sweetner and recommended for people with Fibro.

Pam

Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some meds you don't even notice Tori..one day you just wake up 10 pounds heavier..trust me..just check side effects..
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooolgrl View Post
Some meds you don't even notice Tori..one day you just wake up 10 pounds heavier..trust me..just check side effects..
peace and love
Sandra
Thank You
What's the way around it? For instance, I love Cymbolta because it helps sooo much... But if it is causing weight gain... What do you do?
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know honey, I was on amitryptilline for sleeping and I didn't even realize it had given me an extra 10-15 pounds until I noticed my clothes were tighter..then figured it out with help from my friends here..so I stopped taking it and went back to trazadone, once that stops working I don't know what I will do...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did it seem like water weight to you? I have awful circulation & water retention. I'm going to contact my Rhumetologist later today & see about switching my Cymbolta... I almost did it once before but didn't... I also take an anti-inflammatory & Flexeril... Going to read up on those also...
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

OMG! I did allot of reading & although it doesn't list weight gain or water retention side effects from Cymbolta & Flexeril, allot of people hae had problems with weight gain & water retention from these meds. Then about a month ago I was put on a anti-inflammatory called Sulindac (Clinoril) & weight gain/Water retention are side effects...
Soooo.... I'm ready to quit meds but have to wean off so I don't have the side effects...
Can I stop the Sulindac & lexeril cold turkey? I'm thinking I can take Melatonin for sleep instead of flexeril... I'm going to lower my Cymbolta to 60mg eery other day & slowly ween off... Blue manages med free right? I worry about my anxietyy coming back though I loe not stressing 24/7 & having a clear mind... Maybe there is something else I can switch to without side effects? Possibly something that causes weight loss!!!
Back injury~ 2005
Neuropathy
Migraines?

The following user gives a hug of support to thefarm:
Pammyann (03-09-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes Tori Blue manages on minimal meds. You should ask her though. I feel like I do before a period, which is that bloated, heavy feel. So yes to your question. I am ok being 20 pounds overweight, that's ok with me, but when my clothes are tight and it's making my fibro worse it's time to address the problem. I told my NP last night, because withdrawal can sometimes worsen fibro. She told me to add a dose of neurontin for about a week. It did help. The pain in my upper body, arms, hands and fingers is awful. From one little drug. Amazing. Less is best...but I'd ask Blue her thoughts..much love...
Peace
Sandra

The Following User Says Thank You to tooolgrl For This Useful Post:
thefarm (03-09-2011)
Closed Thread