It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User
Weaning off Elavil

Ok kids, I have been taking elavil for about 3 months now for sleeping. It worked like a charm for a while, lately not so much. I have gained at least 10 pounds on an already 20 pound overweight body. Which is fine, I love my body and am happy with my curves. BUT!! It is not helping me sleep and I want to go back on trazodone. Do I have to wean off the elavil?? It is not an SSRI so I am not sure if I do or not. I am so fed up with these meds I want to throw them all into the sea....If anyone has any thoughts would greatly appreciate!!
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Weaning off Elavil

Depends on the dose. I've been on it and off it for years. When going off, I typically step down 10 mg per week. When I do it that way, I get no withdrawl symptoms. If I have to stop abruptly when I'm at 20 mg or higher, I get a few days of headaches and mild malaise.

What dose are you on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

50 at night. Stopped working, upped it to 75 for about a week. I never even knew the weight was coming on until I started having trouble in my bra..lol..And I remember Bluelakelady saying how it caused her to crave candy at night. Same thing happened to me..I haven't taken it at all for the past few nights. Only thing I notice different is the pain in my upper body is absolutely agonizing. BUT, we are in a huge rain storm that has been going on for a couple days..That could be a factor. So I took one 25mg pill this morning just to see if the pain abates a bit. If it doesn't I am just quitting them..they worked great for sleep for a while but why take them if they don't? Thanks for your input Jane, how are you doing?? xoxo
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i just quit cold. was on it only a short time as you are tooly. i bet the storm has you pinned down. barometric pressure hurts. take a hot bath and jump in my hot tub.
peace and hugs,
blue
ps. hi jane!!

Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just hope this damn extra weight comes off..and the sweet cravings..usually at night or after dinner I have a glass of ovaltine and lofat milk, that usually cures my choc craving and gives me some protein..what irritated me is that I never eat crap like that..I think I am just going to stop taking it altogether. I took one 25mg this morning and I am still in agony. So I am done with that drug..ugh...thanks for the input love..

Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

go back to what works for you. glad you chose to quit.
peace,
blue

Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yeah, no reason to stick with it if it's messing you up! Glad you are quitting easily.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your help girls, it's much appreciated xoxo
Sandra

Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Sandra when I quit that drug, I just stopped taking it. I don't remember having too much of a problem. Hope it all works for you.

Glojer

Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glo, did the weight that it caused come off too?? I feel like a wildebeest these days...

Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Sandra sorry that was so long ago and I had so much weight on from other health issues, I don't remember. I think you could expect to take some weight off just from losing excess water weight and bloat. Of course that won't be as much as you would like. Wish I could give you a real positive on this, but sorry I can't.

Glojer

Old 03-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glogirl, it's all good sweetie, I am starting to feel better body and ache wise. So the drug is probably out of my system. I still feel a bit bloated but not as bad. Plus I am flaring with colitis so the bloating abdominally is probably from that..I have been eating lots of greek yogurt. And drinking over 2 liters of water a day..Coffee right now..lololol..love you girl for your help
peace and love
Sandra

Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

hey sandra,
it took me about 4 years to drop the 40+ that i gained on that med. however, i was not trying that hard to shed it. when i did it was exercise, an organic diet and i had 18 acres to tend.
losing weight was always an issue for me tho. i was overweight most of my life. usually by 30 to 50 lbs. once i was 70 lbs over and i recall that was after the experience with elavil. i was huge and it hurt to be that big. emotionally and physically.
so glad you are off it.
have a great day.
peace and giggles and love,
blue

Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks cupcake. I do feel better. No more chocolate cravings, no more carb cravings. I eat right. I always have. But I have battled between 20 and 30 pounds my whole adult life. I finally accepted myself at 20 over. But the elavil added 10-15 pounds above and beyond what I am comfortable with. I am hoping it comes off now. Laura and I are going to get to walking at least a few times a week. But never the day after my busy Wednesday. lol..I am hoping it comes off without too much trouble. From now on I research these drugs. love you tons sista xoxo
Sandra

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

hi sandra,
i think with effort it will come off easily. walking is the best! shoot for every day except thursdays. i do love a long walk. especially love hiking the mountains. still have the stamina for that even if i don't have any muscle tone left. giggle. oh and the ocean headlands are steep and so much fun. that's a 2 hour drive tho. we know how fanny feels about that!
it's raining just a bit out. soft sounds.
enjoy your day my friend. time to stretch the arse again. giggle.
peace bunnies,
blue

Closed Thread