It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

melobious HB User
Chest Pressure

Hey Guys,

I guess I just need some reassurance as Iím relatively new to Fibro, I was officially diagnosed last year, but have always had my doubts itís not something else!! My major concern / issue is chest pressure. It feels like something is sitting on my chest but I donít have any sharp pains in my chest. I know that costochondritis is a common occurrence but the main symptom with that from what I read is sharp pains, which I donít have, I do have sore ribs around my breast area and my lower ribs are all sore too. I have had heart (ECG, ECHO, Stress test) lung (CT scan) and gastro (endoscopy) tests, all have come out clean.
Anyone else experiencing this uncomfortable chest pressure and rib soreness?? It would put my mind at ease that this is something that other are having issues with.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User
Re: Chest Pressure

hhmm... my feeling on this..i think id get another Drs opinion out side of the original Dr. health Ins group...let us know,,good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
(female)

melobious HB User

Thanks for your speedy reponse, I have been to several different doctors and 3 rheumatologist, i have also had a bone scan which did not show anything.
I think i have exhausted all options of testing..... BTW Im 27 female.

Not sure what else to test really..........

Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I don't get pressure like you describe, but I do have significant rib pain and discomfort.
For me it's in the lower right rib area and it feels like someones got a hold of my ribs and pulling and pushing the feeling changes depending on the area. The pulling is twords the front and pushing (more like someones fist is applying pressure) is on the side. I was diagnosed with Costco/TsiTsis long before the Fibro was diagnosed. Sometimes ice helps if I numb the nerve just under my back bra strap.

I've had this rib pain for the better part of 8 years. I can't wear a wired bra or anything that is to tight. No high waisted jeans either. At times I can't even lean back in a chair because this all radiates to the back ribs. I guess I can be happy it's only on the right side. Once in a blue moon the left will act up.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
(female)

xSunnySmilex HB User

I sometimes have a feeling of pressure over my chest and I do get pain in my ribs occassionally too. Could you be anxious? I have anxiety problems, and as soon as it hits, i feel pressure in my chest. I take xanax to relieve the anxiety. Not knowing what it is can cause more anxiety and make it worse. Deep breathing helps to relax too. Next time you have that feeling, find a quiet place and take deep breaths to the count of 4 as deep as you can, then let it out slowly to the count of 4. Just keep doing this for a minute or two and it should help if you are anxious.

Last edited by xSunnySmilex; 03-07-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #6
(female)

trouble1968 HB Usertrouble1968 HB Usertrouble1968 HB User

Hello,
Well I don't know that I would call it chest pressure, but more discomfort. There are times that I feel like it is just hard to take a really deep breath and it just feels uncomfortable. I have not had al the tests that you have and I was diagnosed around 2002 or 2003 I think. As far as the rib soreness well I have had soreness everywhere you can possible imagine. Fibromyalgia doesn't just stick to your joints or the 18 point that doctors use to diagnose Fibro. Unfortunately the rib soreness is just one of the areas that can get sore and stay sore for however long the body decides.
When I have the chest discomfort I usually try to lay down or get as comfortable as possible and take some long deep breaths. Sometimes that helps it to subside some, but not always. Sorry can be of more comfort or help.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I have exactly what you described and have had the tests too - I've been told that one of the ways you know it's costochondritis is you can press the area it hurts and you can feel the pain - and boy I do!!

It always is bizarre as often my shoulder will hurt and then I'll also get pain in the ribs - I now know it's referred pain but felt really scary at first

Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
(female)

melobious HB User

Thanks for your comments...... at least I know there are other people with similar pains!!

The rib pain and chest pressure / discomfort is most worrying coz its near all the major organs, heart, lungs etc!! and theres always that little voice in my head going..... this cant be just fibro got to be something else!!

I do suffer from anixety but the reason for the anxiety is because im in pain and keep wondering if the docs are mssing something or if i should be asking for more tests....... But since I have done all the tests i can think of not sure what else to do!! Plus the anxiety started after months of the chest pains so I know that the anxiety definately makes it worse but isnt the cause....

Anyone else feel free to comment and ease my mind!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: melobious
monalisa24 (03-09-2011), trouble1968 (03-26-2011)
Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

I re read your post..made me think back to when i was about 15 i think, id walk about maybe a mile to school and then back home and that's when my back left side Rib would hurt severely bad, like a hot iron poker going through me...hhmm??... just thought id share this ...

im 48 BTW....

Hugs Monalisa

The following user gives a hug of support to monalisa24:
melobious (03-09-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
melobious (03-09-2011)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
(female)

trouble1968 HB Usertrouble1968 HB Usertrouble1968 HB User

Have they had you on a Holter Monitor yet? That is the only other thing I can think of short of a majot cardiac stress test. I think you wear it doing all activities for a week and then they pull the information from the Monitor to see how your heart and stuff reacts to your everyday life. My sister had on last year. My doctor wanted me to do and event monitor which I tried but it didn't work for me I am sending it back to the company today. The difference between the two are, the Holter is self contained and records everything; the event monitor you have to push a butten when you feel symptoms and after 4 events are recorded you have to call the company and transmit those 4 events before anything else can be recorded. You have to have a land line phone to do this with. Since we no longer have a land line phone I have to drive to town to Kmart (only place close that has a pay phone) to transmit and they aren't open 24 hours a day. Plus I can't always leave my house, sometimes for days at a time. So the event monitor didn't work for me.

Maybe having the Holter record how your heart reacts to everyday life would give some insite if there is anything other than what you have already been diagnosed with. If nothing elese it could put your mind at ease knowing that everything with that is ok....

Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
(female)

brooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB Userbrooklyngirl HB User

If you don't think you have FM please keep looking for the right answer. I was misdiagnosed with FM (not sure how as I have no muscle pain at all) and put on Savella which made me very sick. So I tossed out the pills and the doc and found a new rheumy. He did a lip and skin biop which came back positive for Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome, quite a difference from FM. Shortly after I had to be treated for kidney problems from Lupus flare which could have been really bad if I had not fired rheumy #1. Often tests won't show an autoimmune disease until you have had it for years so if you get any skin rashes at all please have a dermatologist do a biop because that can diagnose many other problems that may not be showing up in blood tests.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #12
(female)

flyinglow HB User

I was diagnosed in 1994 with my first symptoms being chest pain. Over the years this has pretty much been a constant and weather changes make it much worse.I tend to breath very shallow because of the discomfort but then my bodies survival mechanism takes over and it forces me to take an involuntary deep breath which really hurts.I have even had a breast reduction because I could not handle my bra strap around my ribs or the pressure from the straps on my shoulders.I went to a seminar put on by Dr.St.Amand who specializes in Fibro and he said that 90% of Fibro sufferers feel the discomfort in the chest area first.So you are not alone and if all other test rule out heart/chest/lung disorders then it is probably part of Fibro.I have also suffered from anxiety attacks that feel like someone is sitting on my chest but I can usually tell the difference. But you are right in the fact that the chest discomfort causes the anxiety if you are thinking it is a heart attack.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
(female)

keblergirl HB Userkeblergirl HB User

hi i have fibro ,and iv had it for 8 years or so now and YES!!! i do get like pressure in the chest ,and i feel like it palpitates if im just sitting around doing nothing i have come to the conclusion through experienced that the pressure i was feeling is like gas and it makes sense because the palpitations i feel come and then after a few i burp and the pressure as well as the pulp go away ,try to pay attention from the time u have the pressure ,like what u ate before it happened how u feel
or when it stopped ,even write it down so u can make comparisons to each episode
im not saying that this is whats going on with you but jus give it a try and let us know how it turns out good luck with everything !!
Jeannine

Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
(female)

flyinglow HB User

I wish that was all that it was. I do know what you are referring to with the gas issue but when I have the chest pain it typically last 1-2 days and is really bad when the weather changes.I live in Alberta Canada so there are always changes.They say "if you don't like the weather just wait a minute it will change".I have had such severe chest pains that my husband called an ambulance once and I went to emergency twice only to go through all kinds of tests and be told that maybe I sprained my chest wall or it was muscle spasms.Now I know i'm not having a heart attack so I just deal with it.Chest pain was actually my first symptom and after my doctor ran every conceivable test I was sent to a Rheumatologist who confirmed it was Fibro.At the time I figured it was a catch all with a fancy name when all tests are negative but I seemed to be very sensitive at the usual trigger points.He said I should get a less stressful job and try to relax. I laughed it off then but it has been a very long time since I have laughed at anything because of the pain.I even had a breast reduction because I couldn't handle the pressure on my shoulders or around my chest.If I had a crystal ball I would have taken his advice and relaxed.(NOT!,thats not me!)

Last edited by flyinglow; 04-14-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Closed Thread